Looking for some insight on a few toyhaulers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:26 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
Well, we looked at the Rattler this morning. Love the size and layout of the unit, had lots of well thought out storage areas. It had been used very little and still had original tires, I knew going in that they were something that would need addressed.

Following Steve's tips I had a good look at the base of the rear door and sure enough the right side was gone, and the left side was soft. The door frame had filled with water and frozen, causing it to bulge and push away from the unit, and even split the tube on the left side. Basically, I'm sure at this point getting the rear door to seal properly would be next to impossible as the latch mounts are pushed out too. Then I got the ladder and checked the roof, looked ok overall, but the L/R corner had taken in water and rotted whatever material was used for the roof, you couldn't feel anything under the rubber. The underside of the unit was fairly ugly/rusty, nothing that some time couldn't wire wheel and repaint, but not an easy task.

They were a nice older couple and I let them know what I found........My wife says they looked like I broke their hearts, but what can you do, just being honest. It's a shame a nice unit went to hell, Guess we'll keep looking.
I was wondering where that had ended up. Glad you found the problems as it does sound like the repairs would be significant.

Steve

Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Toy haulers really don't go out of season and what you are looking for is the most popular layout. Best advice I can give is, if you are buying used and find what you want, buy it.

Steve
I'll give credit where credit is due. This was 100% on Steve. Since that Rattler I haven't seen anything I wanted to go look at. So many big 38+ units out there, but the smaller ones are scarce, and this is one time where I'm trying to go against my bigger/ more is better mentality.

On a side note, as this seems to have crept up recently, that Rattler was called 29' but measured closer to 33' 6" tip to tail...................Is the listed size actually tip to tail (of the body) like a tag trailer? Which I thought. Or is it measured by the floor length, not including the area over the pinbox? Because I'm slightly slightly confused at this point.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I'll give credit where credit is due. This was 100% on Steve. Since that Rattler I haven't seen anything I wanted to go look at. So many big 38+ units out there, but the smaller ones are scarce, and this is one time where I'm trying to go against my bigger/ more is better mentality.

On a side note, as this seems to have crept up recently, that Rattler was called 29' but measured closer to 33' 6" tip to tail...................Is the listed size actually tip to tail (of the body) like a tag trailer? Which I thought. Or is it measured by the floor length, not including the area over the pinbox? Because I'm slightly slightly confused at this point.
Scott,

In my experience the listed length has no consistent meaning in the industry. Our 24-foot model fiver is 27 feet, but you will find others are accurate to the inch. I remember one motorhome we had was listed as three different lengths in three years, but the overall length never changed. Any time length is critical, I would put a tape measure on it. Sometimes you will find specs that list a model as one length, but also gives the actual as different than the model length. I usually figure most model designations are about 3 feet longer than stated, but that is must an approximation.

Short toy haulers are really scarce. I can only recall having one on the lot I service in the last five years and it was gone within days.

Good hunting,

Steve

Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 PM
lowbed dud
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hace a 07 ragen toy hauler 25' but is 27' not inclounding hitch

Old 06-24-2014, 10:59 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our toy hauler is rated as a 32' unit, measured from the pin to the bumper. Once you add the front skirt it really measures 34'.

I like the lower # because many state parks have size limits and I've only seen them use the model number for size. Never seen them pull out a tape measure.

Same applies to the CHP. We have a friend with a 38.5' toy hauler but really measures almost 41'.

Here in Cal, the max size trailer can only be 40' legally but he's never had an issue with authorities due to the stated size. Again, no tape measures pulled out to argue the point.

They probably only come out if you act like an A-hol... during a stop.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by r2millers
Our toy hauler is rated as a 32' unit, measured from the pin to the bumper. Once you add the front skirt it really measures 34'.

I like the lower # because many state parks have size limits and I've only seen them use the model number for size. Never seen them pull out a tape measure.
I'm in the same boat, we enjoy camping in the state parks, and every site has a trailer length limit. While there are some that will take a 40' trailer, that doesn't in any mean its going to be easy to get a 40' unit in there with a CCLB truck, as almost all the roads are one way and very narrow leaving little room to maneuver. In all honesty, I just don't want or need a trailer that big anyway.

A few 36's popped up around here this weekend, but the floorplans and 12' garage add up to them being closer to 40' from what I can see. Don't really feel like emailing to ask since them I'm sure I'll get hounded forever. We only have one trip planned this summer, and have tons of weddings/ showers/ bachelor (ette) parties, that I'm not heartbroken if I have to wait til fall when they start to pop up for sale again. At least if I get one then I'll have time to use it.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Looks like we're going to go look at another one this weekend. Found a 2011 Palomino Puma 356-QLB. Looks clean in pictures. They say it measures 36'4" from the pin to tail. I can work with that given the floorplan is EXACLTLY what we wanted. Two power queens in the garage, U shaped dinette on a slide, overhead loft bed, 8 lug axles. Sales tax puts it 2K over my budget, but I'm hoping having no trade and cash will budge them down a bit if it's the right one.

Going to be borrowing my buddies 5th wheel just in case, I've been holding off on buying one til I know exactly what I will need. Nice to have a buddy close by with the same truck and same Ford prep hitch!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:55 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Looks like we're going to go look at another one this weekend. Found a 2011 Palomino Puma 356-QLB. Looks clean in pictures. They say it measures 36'4" from the pin to tail. I can work with that given the floorplan is EXACLTLY what we wanted. Two power queens in the garage, U shaped dinette on a slide, overhead loft bed, 8 lug axles. Sales tax puts it 2K over my budget, but I'm hoping having no trade and cash will budge them down a bit if it's the right one.

Going to be borrowing my buddies 5th wheel just in case, I've been holding off on buying one til I know exactly what I will need. Nice to have a buddy close by with the same truck and same Ford prep hitch!

Private party or dealer?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Private party or dealer?
Used car dealer that deals in Rv's also.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:06 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Used car dealer that deals in Rv's also.
Price based on what? NADA, Blue Book, etc. ?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Price based on what? NADA, Blue Book, etc. ?
Nada low retail is $18,330. Average retail is $22,080. They are at $20,995. But sales tax and tags are going to run around $1200. I'm hoping for 20K out the door. That would put the sale price around $18,800. Maybe I'm nuts......................

Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Nada low retail is $18,330. Average retail is $22,080. They are at $20,995. But sales tax and tags are going to run around $1200. I'm hoping for 20K out the door. That would put the sale price around $18,800. Maybe I'm nuts......................
Have you already negotiated and do you have any idea how long it has been on the lot? Trade-in, repo auction, and other info about where it came from?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Have you already negotiated and do you have any idea how long it has been on the lot? Trade-in, repo auction, and other info about where it came from?
I have not. I don't know how they got it. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and get the VIN so I can get an insurance quote, I'll try to find out. I found it Saturday, don't know how long it's been there. I need to go out in the direction of where it is anyway, it's not too far off the route to stop by and try to haggle a little.

I'm cheap. But my wife is cheaper. She thinks the old ones are ugly and worn, but wants a newer one for the price of a 10 year old one.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
If they are asking $21,000 they should have no realistic expectation of getting that. Try $17,500 as a starter. There should be at least a $2,000 cushion in their price. I suspect $18,500 should buy it.

Cash has no bearing as dealers always get their money whether in a bank check or cash in a brief case. I silent partnered with a small dealership for a time in the past.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Let me toss this out regarding NADA pricing. It is almost meaningless. 80% of used sales take place between private parties and are not reflected in NADA values. That means all NADA tracks are dealer sales which are higher than most private transactions so the numbers you see there are unrealistically high. NADA itself did a feature in the national dealer association magazine a little over a year ago explained why the values were not very useful for most used sales.

Just something to keep in mind.

Steve

Quick Reply: Looking for some insight on a few toyhaulers