Looking for some insight on a few toyhaulers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech

The less you pay, the less you get in RVs just as with everything else.

Steve
I get that..............But for something that sees use 6-8 times a year, would the 32SRV be a nightmare? I'd love to have something built like a tank, but honestly, it'll never leave smooth roads and only haul mountain bikes and kayaks.

I like the Keystone Raptor 299MP also, and they come with 8 lug axles and seem to be much higher quality, but the prices reflect that and put them out of my range. I can find plenty in my price range, but they are all triple axle, and for the first time in my life, I'm going to avoid over overkill, I WON'T do triples, period.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
I get that..............But for something that sees use 6-8 times a year, would the 32SRV be a nightmare? I'd love to have something built like a tank, but honestly, it'll never leave smooth roads and only haul mountain bikes and kayaks.

I like the Keystone Raptor 299MP also, and they come with 8 lug axles and seem to be much higher quality, but the prices reflect that and put them out of my range. I can find plenty in my price range, but they are all triple axle, and for the first time in my life, I'm going to avoid over overkill, I WON'T do triples, period.
I don't think it is an issue of something being a nightmare, at least immediately. The entry level units simply require more upkeep, in my experience, but the greater issue is some components simply don't hold up. For example, composite floors on many ultralites have quite limited lifespans before they soften and feel spongy as though they were water soaked.

Then there are the slide components. You don't need hydraulics, but I am not a big fan at all of cables or the new Schwinteks with the two motors. Power Gear for sure and Lippert is not bad as long as you don't blow out the clutches by holding the switch at the end of travel.

Until you do a lot of research, it is hard to tell by simply looking what you are actually seeing.

Steve

Old 04-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with Steve, though I always agree with him, LOL! I have my first Keystone with the cable slide. And I am sorry I went that way, with the slide and company. The cable slide is not very user friendly if you encounter a problem. Just looking at the specs of how it is installed is very confusing. Not good for the DIY.

And coming out of a Jayco TT for 6 years, I am sorry I did not buy another One. Aside from them being very well built and 2 year factory warranty offered, if I ever had an issue or making a claim, they were very quick to approve any repairs and very quick returning an email. Usually with a phone call within 2 days! With Keystone, I have yet to have them return any of the 6 emails I have sent them. Followed them up with a call, and got answers to half of the messages. And I actually had to go back and fourth with them over an exterior door issue that was a common and well known issue with the model I own.

I do not believe Jayco builds what you are looking for. I was never in the market for a TH. I just wanted to give you an idea of who you would be buying from. I would not buy another Keystone again based on their customer service and some quality issues. But that is just my opinion.

Another option you could explore is to go on the manufacturer forums of the models you want and ask the owners your questions and concerns. Sometimes I wish I would follow my own advice! Good Luck!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Shogunles
Another option you could explore is to go on the manufacturer forums of the models you want and ask the owners your questions and concerns. Sometimes I wish I would follow my own advice! Good Luck!
Searching the forums for both models hasn't revealed a whole lot, other than a few pissed off people that just wanted to rant. I'm to a point where I'm just about ready to actually start look at units, so I'll have to just crawl around and make a decision.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Searching the forums for both models hasn't revealed a whole lot, other than a few pissed off people that just wanted to rant. I'm to a point where I'm just about ready to actually start look at units, so I'll have to just crawl around and make a decision.
"Grass Hopper, you have searched and now arrived at the most important truth about buying an RV. The best RV for anyone does not come from the opinion of others, but from the opinion that dwells within".

Man, is that profound or what?

Just having fun here. Take your time looking, give some thought about which features are most important to you, and buy according. The best RV for someone else may well be the worse one for the next person.

Steve

Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
find the floor plan you like the best and then start to visit it a few times...each time you will see things you didn't see before.

Take the time to jot down a checklist of things to check and ask about before you visit.

Once you find the floor plan out come the list to check by and learn from.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Those forums are good for that as well. At least you can hear about some of the issues with different units. No RV is without it's little bugs to work out. Most often you will have to live in it in order to reveal them.

That is very good advice. Take your time and do not rush in. One thing I have learned in over 4 decades on this earth is that there is always a good deal to be had.

Not sure of your timetable, but the RV Shows are another good way to shop for a RV. However that season is over until the Fall. Good Luck!

Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 PM
defyrftr
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Shogunles

Not sure of your timetable, but the RV Shows are another good way to shop for a RV. However that season is over until the Fall. Good Luck!
Hershey is the 11-14 September. Might be close to you. This is where I might find my new 5er
America's Largest RV Show - Public Info

Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by defyrftr
Hershey is the 11-14 September. Might be close to you. This is where I might find my new 5er
America's Largest RV Show - Public Info

Hershey is under a 2 hour ride from me. Unfortunately, we have a wedding that weekend though. My time table pretty much starts from now until I find something. I will run the current setup the rest of the year if the right one doesn't pop up. As Steve predicted, all the ones that sat for sale all winter have sold. The 33-36 footers come and go very quick, but now I'm ready to jump if the right unit crosses my path. Well, other than the hitch, still holding out hope that a gooseneck work and play may pop up...................

I had been toying with the idea of a standard 5ver, or even something with a small garage like the Montana THT, or the keystone cougars, would be good for bikes, but I'm still stuck on the kayaks. I don't really want a roof rack on the truck, and the RVkayakracks that stand them up on the rear are just as salty. Think I've written that off for now.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
So I ran across something interesting, A 2008 Sun Valley Rattler F29. They have a floorplan picture, but I can find next to no info on the specific model, or Sun Valley in general. About all I found was they were out of Elkhart Indiana, and are no longer in business. By chance anybody know anything more of these things? It's about 20 minutes from me and pricing is good, but I don't know how difficult parts may be to track down, or if it's even worth looking at something where the manufacturer is no longer around.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
So I ran across something interesting, A 2008 Sun Valley Rattler F29. They have a floorplan picture, but I can find next to no info on the specific model, or Sun Valley in general. About all I found was they were out of Elkhart Indiana, and are no longer in business. By chance anybody know anything more of these things? It's about 20 minutes from me and pricing is good, but I don't know how difficult parts may be to track down, or if it's even worth looking at something where the manufacturer is no longer around.
Scott,

Sun Valley is a model in the Evergreen line and unless something just happened they are very much in business. Sun Valley - Evergreen Recreational Vehicles, LLC. - Manufacturer of Green eco-friendly Everlite RVs

Steve

Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Scott,

Sun Valley is a model in the Evergreen line and unless something just happened they are very much in business. Sun Valley - Evergreen Recreational Vehicles, LLC. - Manufacturer of Green eco-friendly Everlite RVs

Steve
Hmm. That looks more like a line than MFR.....? This states the manufacturer as "Sun Valley". And while the one I found looks nice, nowhere near that high end though. Let me attempt to link it. The outside picture sucks, but the inside looks nice. I emailed the seller a few questions, if the answers are good I'll take a ride over..

2008 Sun Valley Rattler 5th wheel toyhauler

Old 05-19-2014, 10:23 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Hmm. That looks more like a line than MFR.....? This states the manufacturer as "Sun Valley". And while the one I found looks nice, nowhere near that high end though. Let me attempt to link it. The outside picture sucks, but the inside looks nice. I emailed the seller a few questions, if the answers are good I'll take a ride over..

2008 Sun Valley Rattler 5th wheel toyhauler
I can't be certain about this one, but within the industry it is really common for one manufacturer to buy out another and consolidate the line keeping the name. For example, recently Jayco bought Open Range. Most of the players in the industry never really go anywhere, they just change the logo on their shirts.

Steve

Old 05-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Well, with any luck we're going to go have a look at that Rattler this weekend. I'll be taking my ladder with and be sure to look real hard at the base of the rear door also

Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Well, we looked at the Rattler this morning. Love the size and layout of the unit, had lots of well thought out storage areas. It had been used very little and still had original tires, I knew going in that they were something that would need addressed.

Following Steve's tips I had a good look at the base of the rear door and sure enough the right side was gone, and the left side was soft. The door frame had filled with water and frozen, causing it to bulge and push away from the unit, and even split the tube on the left side. Basically, I'm sure at this point getting the rear door to seal properly would be next to impossible as the latch mounts are pushed out too. Then I got the ladder and checked the roof, looked ok overall, but the L/R corner had taken in water and rotted whatever material was used for the roof, you couldn't feel anything under the rubber. The underside of the unit was fairly ugly/rusty, nothing that some time couldn't wire wheel and repaint, but not an easy task.

They were a nice older couple and I let them know what I found........My wife says they looked like I broke their hearts, but what can you do, just being honest. It's a shame a nice unit went to hell, Guess we'll keep looking.

Quick Reply: Looking for some insight on a few toyhaulers