Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
garage and automotive SNAFUs!

I got the Idea of this thread while working on my truck and was reminded
of all the real funny things that happen while you attempt to "fix " things

like stories of my father an his friends , my grandfather , and my friends

and previous owners

and their "infinite" wisdom

like dad got a s10 blazer and previous owner never taking care of the thing

(never changed the oil it seamed , just sludge as we changed it finally )

that was a story we changed the oil and the thing ran a few miles then shut down like it over heated well as goes to show the thinner actual oil caused it to clean up the inside of that 2.8l v6 Way too fast and dislodged gunky sludge and particulates into the oil pump(and what ever else small areas of that neglected engine ) and fried the poor thing

typical rust belt 4x4 it was rusted out like a 200 year old tin ship wreck

dad got it for 650 dollars (for him not me , he wanted something cheap well....)

I got more stories ..... how about any one else ?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
Well, it can be kind of sad.

My dad:

--early to mid '60s C600. It had hit a pole, & was totalled by the ins co. He bought it for $500 to fix in 1965. Some work was done on it, but never finished. 330 fired right up after 20 years, but it never saw the road again, as about 10 years after that was the end.

--mid '60s total rebuild of a 1952 M135. $5200 & change in about '66. It was to replace the OEM military 6x6 my dad was running as a fertilizer truck. Many parts bought, but in the end, it was robbed of brakes and other small parts to keep the other truck running. The other truck had an automatic, the rebuild had a Clark, and my dad ceased to like to shift. Never finished, it sat on blocks with 52 miles on it, from the drive from Wittenberg Motors in Tacoma WA to the farm.

Both were taken by the family of the drug dealer who "rented" the farm after my dad died. That is another "fubar" story, but not garage related.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
we already have a thread like this down in the garage and workshop forums with 540 interesting and embarrassing stories:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...garage-54.html

Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM
1985tullyhowell
Senior User
well thank you for the input TJC TRANSPORT
just thought a refresher of funny , whether garage or on the the road auto , car, truck, vans , suvs , etc. stories .

I am originally from Texas , but moved to Nebraska (back in forth several times)

when you do that , you have a few more interesting things to say verses the average 21 year old

but I'm live in Nebraska now ,anyway

well , another story is ( I have moved about 15 times in my life )

when I was younger , family decided to , pack up a truck in go see if we could ,just check out places , father, mother , me , and a yellow haired cat named Fritz
the truck in question was a 1988 Ford f150 302 auto (4x2) "grandpa truck" (standard cab , long box ) we went to Missouri , Oklahoma, New Mexico, back Colorado , Kansas ,etc "mid west " states ..

going through Colorado is where the fun starts , you got an older truck EFI 302 (gas drinker at that age ) flooded itself to death ( old worn out sensors ) didn't know anything at the time , water pump was on its last legs ,
and what made ford put that of the wall automatic in it was a ..... it was gut less set up (dad had an older set up like that but ex.cab and that was a good auto )

and packed both cab and bed , 2wd and in the mountains , (see where I am going )

going on the Million Dollar Highway Ouray ,Co. haha in February or March , somewhere in between Ouray and Montrose , And a "small" snow storm happens ,

up there on a switch back ( no guard rails , and says 2 lane but up there, I doubt it! )

and 2wd gutless wonder Plus SNOW ,ARE NOT a good combination, It should read DO NOT TRY AT HOME or the road EVER ,)

any way , it gets a little slippy and so my father just says "no more trying" and we just stop , here s another thing,

WHO IN THE HECK thinks it IS ok to try driving a WAL MART semi up in those mountains ??? we either made him stop ,by stopping or he just got stuck too , I don't know ,but we where wondering what do we do now , mother's scared of heights
the cat can't deal with the altitude (not one of us really could, including the truck )

cats and altitude Funny spastic right there !

and with all this wondering ,what to do going on, here comes a Jeep wrangler ,like nothing he says need a pull well, yeah, he hooks us up in up the slope we go and that's it . just like that Nice guy he was .

After that our water pump goes out (on its last legs or the temps involved with up in the mountains ) an luckily water drips off the rocks up there , it was like grapes of wrath not kidding . we did get that fixed in Montrose though .

the weird things that happen.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 AM
1985tullyhowell
Senior User
sorry if that hurts anybody's eyes old and young alike