Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's
View Poll Results: Which Truck would win in a straight up 1/4 mile race?
Lightning for sure.
65.00%
Go Ram SRT/10.
34.00%
The Chevy SuperSuck, I mean Sport.
1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Lightning vs. Silverado SS vs. Ram SRT/10

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 11:31 AM
cowtown
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Dodge had put that V-10 into the Durango or Dakota R/T then I may actually be concerned but a bigass truck like that isn't helping matters any. Sure you can buff up the Dodge a bit more since it's NA but there is a whole wack of upgrades and tweaks that can be done to an L for very little money. Take into account the KB whipple upgrade and what it can do and you're still $15-20,000 less than those other trucks.

I'm just waiting it out but a 99/2000 L will be mine as soon as I can pay off a couple of these loans from buying and reno'ing this house.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:51 PM
98rangerstep
Senior User

Originally posted by Fordman350
I agree that the SRT-10 puts out huge amounts of power, but I am wondering whether or not people will be willing to pay $50,000 for it. That's alot of money for something like that, and the Lightning packs plenty of punch for $20,000-$25,000 less. The SS is just a joke. The only thing its got going for it is the fact that its AWD. 345 horsepower really isn't that much for a truck of its size. With all the time they had to design this truck (and they had tons) I would've expected much more, besides the $45,000 price tag. And on one last note, to quote Truck Trend, what's with the "Hoover vaccumm attachments" in front?
I will, sorry guys but I must say I do love the new ram body and with the Viper V10 BAAAAAAAAD A*************

Old 09-23-2003, 10:03 PM
grid01
New User

bullet heads will always prevail!

Old 09-25-2003, 09:54 AM
Petrol
Elder User
is the dodge and cheby even worth it? No . . .

Old 09-28-2003, 10:38 AM
phatpharm85
Elder User
so you pay 6 grand more for a chevy ss, then 5 grand for a super charger. if you were ever to put 9 grand into a lighting it would break the 10 second mark and then some. 9 grand just to kinda beat the L. so then do a pully change on the L and it will crawl all over the ss butt again.

Old 09-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Lightning Rod
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, we could play the "what if" game all day long.

Bottom line is that the SVT Lightning is still the undisputed performance truck champion and until Mopar and/or Chevy puts a finished product on the street that can change that status, Lightning owners will remain on top looking down on the rest of the field.

Old 09-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Derek83
New User
I have to agree with most of the stuff on here. SS is a piece of crap that costs lots of $. I actually went and looked at one and the front fenders can be ripped right off, they are not even attached to anything! The new SRT-10 doesn't surprise me though, dodge always puts a v-10 in their stuff to compare with fords and chevys v-8s (pretty sad!) Anywayz the new srt-10 will probably cost a lot too when it hits production. Lots on buying and gas. The current lightning would be hard pressed to match the 500hp and 525 lbs of torque even when weight is factored in but the new lightning has 500+hp and 500+ lbs of torque. It features a integrated cooling system that taps into the vehicles air condition to cool the supercharger, its suppose to be good for another 50 to 75 hp and lbs of torque respectively. SVT Ford will not give the fastest production truck title away, or least they better not! Everybody else better hope that they are BUILT FORD TOUGH!

Old 09-30-2003, 04:28 PM
EppmanZ06
New User
I think what you mean to say is fastest production car with a truck body....much like those of the Craftsman Truck Series. Tell me what you'd have to do to a Lightning to make it have a towing capacity of 7500 lbs or fit 5 people...at all. I don't think a bigger supercharger, or this abortion of an intercooler system that actually cools the air charge NOT the supercharger itself is gonna make the lightning grow 2 more doors, a rear seat, and a stiff/strong enough frame to pull a decent sized load around. And don't give me this crap about getting a Ford S/D if I wanna pull my boat, S/Ds look like crap and have the acceleration and sportiness of a locomotive. So maybe you should look at the sport truck market a little closer and see what you're really putting your money on. If you want a fast ride sporting the blue oval, get a mustang, and then try to go beat some cars, which unfortunately would prove to be a fruitless effort as well though. But don't try to convince yourself that you're driving the fastest production truck if you ain't got what it takes to pull my boat out of the Rockies....

Old 09-30-2003, 04:40 PM
cowtown
Junior User
The only thing I'd be hauling with my Lightning would be ***!

Old 09-30-2003, 04:45 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Whoa there,
Lightning not a truck, since when did a truck have to seat more than 3 people. Also note that it is still rated to tow 5,000 pounds and it's not the motor holding it back from pulling more. I guarantee you there are people here that have pulled a lot more with theirs with no problems. Also consider that an ill equiped F-150 is only rated to tow 2000 pounds. Of coarse that is with 3.08 gears, a bumper hitch, and a 5-speed. No, the lightning isn't a SD and no you don't need one to pull your boat because a Lightning will do a fine job of it. Lets see, with a suspension designed for high speed handling, it would be expected to lose some towing ability there but to say that it doesn't qualify as a truck is absured. It's jsut a different class of truck. When it comes to all around duties, pulliing a boat, racing mustangs and camaros and showing them your taillights, and hauling up to a 1,350 pound load of whatever in the box, the lightning is by far the best truck on the market for not a whole lot of ca$h. So if your gonna come in here and start ******* Fords, that's fine, but you'd better at least know what you're talking about and have your facts straight first. Ford definately has some problem areas, but the Lightning sure ain't one of them.

Last edited by AG4.0; 09-30-2003 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Fordman350
Senior User
Originally posted by AG4.0
Whoa there,
Lightning not a truck, since when did a truck have to seat more than 3 people. Also note that it is still rated to tow 5,000 pounds and it's not the motor holding it back from pulling more. I guarantee you there are people here that have pulled a lot more with theirs with no problems. Also consider that an ill equiped F-150 is only rated to tow 2000 pounds. Of coarse that is with 3.08 gears, a bumper hitch, and a 5-speed. No, the lightning isn't a SD and no you don't need one to pull your boat because a Lightning will do a fine job of it. Lets see, with a suspension designed for high speed handling, it would be expected to lose some towing ability there but to say that it doesn't qualify as a truck is absured. It's jsut a different class of truck. When it comes to all around duties, pulliing a boat, racing mustangs and camaros and showing them your taillights, and hauling up to a 1,350 pound load of whatever in the box, the lightning is by far the best truck on the market for not a whole lot of ca$h. So if your gonna come in here and start ******* Fords, that's fine, but you'd better at least know what you're talking about and have your facts straight first. Ford definately has some problem areas, but the Lightning sure ain't one of them.
Very well said.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:41 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by EppmanZ06
I think what you mean to say is fastest production car with a truck body....much like those of the Craftsman Truck Series. Tell me what you'd have to do to a Lightning to make it have a towing capacity of 7500 lbs or fit 5 people...at all. I don't think a bigger supercharger, or this abortion of an intercooler system that actually cools the air charge NOT the supercharger itself is gonna make the lightning grow 2 more doors, a rear seat, and a stiff/strong enough frame to pull a decent sized load around. And don't give me this crap about getting a Ford S/D if I wanna pull my boat, S/Ds look like crap and have the acceleration and sportiness of a locomotive. So maybe you should look at the sport truck market a little closer and see what you're really putting your money on. If you want a fast ride sporting the blue oval, get a mustang, and then try to go beat some cars, which unfortunately would prove to be a fruitless effort as well though. But don't try to convince yourself that you're driving the fastest production truck if you ain't got what it takes to pull my boat out of the Rockies....
Who would want a sport-truck for pulling or carrying people anyway? If you're gonna carry people, get a crewcab, if you're gonna pull, get a Super Duty, which by the way, looks better and perform better under load than any Chevy made of recycled coke bottles.

Old 09-30-2003, 07:31 PM
Lightning Rod
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by EppmanZ06
But don't try to convince yourself that you're driving the fastest production truck if you ain't got what it takes to pull my boat out of the Rockies....
And just what does being able to "pull your boat out of the Rockies" have to do with defining the "fastest production truck"?

Sheeeez...... you Bowtie Boys are really confused.

Old 10-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Petrol
Elder User
^^^ besides having

Old 10-01-2003, 11:52 AM
EppmanZ06
New User
Originally posted by AG4.0
Whoa there,
Ok, so first of all, I can well imagine that many people have towed more than the rated max for a Lightning, but who's to say that SS owners haven't done the same? The fact is is that the heat issue of the Lightning is what kills it. You haul around your boat and pull a couple hills, that little 8 is pegging that temp gauge, and that equals premature engine failure, do the same with the SS and you're idling compared to it. And telling me I need to get my facts straight? What did I EVER misstate myself about facts? The truth IS that the Lightning is a different class of truck, but so is the SS. The SS is in what's called the Light Duty Full size (i.e. it does everything that a regular Silverado can do.) The Lightning is in what's called the "I live in the city and wanna be cool by driving a truck around town but I haven't got the kahonas to drive a full size" class. And you tell me ONE guy you know that bought an F-150 with the 3.08s, those are unheard of, and get a WELL equipped F-150 and all of the sudden you're towing 8000 lbs. So maybe it's you that needs to get your facts straight before you come charging out the gate comparing the Lightning to an F-150 made for Japanese fuel economy not one for towing. I got no problem with Lightnings at all, I got a friend that owns on and they're damn sweet looking and sound badass too. It's just a shame that all this SS bashing goes on from one sided persepectives. And one last thing, I'd like to see this elusive Lightning capable of pulling my Wellcraft 270 Coastal. A dry weight of 6235 lbs might be a little of a problem. Just another fact you seem to have neglected.....

Quick Reply: Lightning vs. Silverado SS vs. Ram SRT/10