1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E350 Trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:03 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Trailer wiring

2013 E350 Super Duty XLT pass 12

My next project is to add a trailer hitch and wiring.
I have research this forum and can not seem to find the cable I need to make the wiring connection.
On the driver side rear frame, there is only one round, 8 pin connector plugged into a rectangle block, bolted to the frame. Was able to find this connector in the Body Builders layout book page #15. This look to be the one I need to plug/splice wiring for trailer lights into.
Instead of splicing into the cable, I would like to get a male connector and just plug into this one. It is labeled as 9c23-14a411-f, grey connector & and pigtail, assy mates to circle connector.

What is the pn# for a male connector?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Seems to me there's a forum here on FTE dedicated to towing things: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum68/

In the meantime look through this catalog for the female part then see if there's a male counterpart: http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...torcatalog.pdf

The Ford part number of your existing connector should be helpful identifying its MotorCraft counterpart.

BTW that catalog link is part of the Van's Tech Folder located at the top of this forum.

HTH

Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
Thanks for the quick response.
I have research the folder, the connection file was what I needed.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Sorry if I misunderstood you needs.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM
oldguard60
Junior User
I was looking for a male connector to plug directly into the female .
However this label as frame mounted connector 9c24-14a411-f, dlr instl (a/mrkt acc conn) has a plastic terminator block plugged into it.
What is the purpose of this block, it seems to be more that a plug to keep the end clean? It does not show the terminator block on the body builders layout page # 15.
Can I disconnect the block and plug in trailer wiring without any ill effects?
I did disconnect it and a couple of the pins had resistances between them, not all opened as I thought it should be.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 PM
OSHS
Senior User
Old Guard, do you have a 4-pin flat trailer connector that came with your van? I would like to upgrade my van to the 7-pin round connector. I researched this last year and found that there are two things going (at least with my 2001). There should be a harness on the driver's side of the frame, near the back of the engine/front of the transmission. There is a second harness that plugs into the first one, that runs down the driver's side frame rail, it has connectors for the trailer harness, the evaporative system canister and I think the fuel pump. The 4-pin flat trailer harness plugs into the second harness.

If I remember correctly (big if), you should be able to plug into the second harness with the correct plug or Ford harness (which has the 7-pin plug). Again, this is from what I remember. I also remember that my second harness (the one on the frame) was not wired to support that final OE harness, i.e. I would need to tie in at the first harness, near the engine/transmission. I do not have access to or seen the Ford Body Builder book. If you could post a link to it or send me a copy, I can try to help out.

FWIW, Ford does not make or offer the harness I need anymore. There was one on eBay last year, but the seller wanted $130 for it, and since I don't have to have it, I didn't purchase it. If I could figure out the connectors I need to order, I'd make a new harness.

-Brandon
01 E350 15-Passenger 20valve

Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
No 4 pin connector came with the van.
I have been only looking at the rear driver side frame for connector. I will look closer to the engine as per your note. I will look and see what connectors I can find in these locations.

A link to the entire documents and one to my 2013 docs, you should be able to search for your model.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bodybuild.html
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...3/maintoc.html

Ford is quite proud of their prices for a conversion cable. Being a old time computer tech, I do not have a problem with connectors, repining, soldering, etc to make my conversion cable.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:41 PM
oldguard60
Junior User
I searched along the driver side frame, no additional connector/s found.

I did disconnect the terminal block from the one 8 pin connector in the rear.
Guess what, the e350 would not start, the engine would crank but I guess no fire or something was not engerized. Plugged it back it , it fire right up.

What is this black block that plugs into the connector?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:19 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
I called 1-800-ford trying to find out what this black block is? Ended up talking to a group of body builders commercial. Once they asked the questions and found out I was not a commercial vendor, they politely to me they had other customers waiting. In other words it was a waste of time.
I did find out by vin number my 12 pass wagon was not wired for a trailer towing package. I found the website etrailer.com and can order all of the parts from them, hitch, wiring, for about $250.
No, my search is to find out what this black block is and why is it at the rear of my wagon. I did verify again, that if the cable is not plugged into this block, my fan will not start.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 PM
OSHS
Senior User
I will try to get under my van this weekend and take some photos of the connectors and their locations.

How big the block you talk about? Does it have any tubing connected to it? On my 2001 15-pass. van, there is the charcoal fuel vapor canister near the spare tire. It plugs into the same wiring harness that the trailer harness does.

-Brandon

Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
Thanks for the offer of taking pictures, I have searched along the entire frame, driver side and found no connectors. According to Ford my wagon was not wired for any trailer wiring.

The block is about 2"x3"x3", with a type wpt-521 female connector plugged into it. After removing the connector and looking at it, it has 8 pins, 2 rows or four pins horizontal. Bolted to the frame with 2 --1/2 bolts and nuts. My block and cable are located inside of the u frame, underneath drive side rear, at spare tire level, across from the middle of spare tire

Block looks like below.
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ I ohmmed a between a couple of the pins, not opened but some resistance between some.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM
oldguard60
Junior User
According to Jay, the parts guy at my local dealership the part in question is:
AA8Z9D370-B Control asy-fuel pump drive, frame mounted, used for fuel pump relays.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 PM
OSHS
Senior User
I apologize for not getting you the photos...we have had a little streak of bad weather here in Atlanta. :-)

I'm heading to Jacksonville, FL tomorrow morning for a wedding, but will get to taking those pics early next week.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but my 01 E350 came with the 4-pin flat towing harness. Oddly enough, it does not have a ground wire in the van's harness. Doesn't look like it ever did, but it should have.

It does have (from the factory) the electric trailer harness up under the dash, near the parking brake.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:24 AM
oldguard60
Junior User
No problem with the pictures, I have seen the weather you are having in Atlanta.

I found out what the part is. see above post.