Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Torque converter GROB cover? LOLWUT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Torque converter GROB cover? LOLWUT?

I'm looking at torque converters to replace my rattly one, and there are a couple options. One of them is for a torque converter with a GROB cover. What is that, and how do I know if I have/need one or not? I tried searching here and got the "Sorry, no results" message. Google isn't much help on this one either.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
GROB is a German company that had a new process to make torque converter covers. They also made drums for clutches. That's all I know about it. I don't know how to tell if that is what you have.

GROB

Old 01-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Well if you don't know, I may never get to the bottom of it I'm gonna keep trawling the interwebs and see if I can figure anything out.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
OK. I found an abstract of the patent on it, and from what I can tell it was designed to strengthen the converter for higher torque applications, such as behind a diesel. A retailer's site with better descriptions shows the one with the GROB cover to have a multi-disk lockup clutch, where the non-GROB cover one has a single disk lockup clutch.

I guess the GROB cover model is the one I should order?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Why not a billet steel cover?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
I'd love to go with a billet converter, but I can't really justify the expense. I don't tow much, and the truck is more or less a daily driver.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Y2KW57
That's ok. Besides, you can't always judge a converter by it's cover...

4R100 Repeated Converter Failure - Sonnax

Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
That's an interesting read. Definitely good information to keep in mind if I start running into problems.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might want to talk to these guys ! Asheville Torque converter! Asheville NC ! Great guys and they made me a awesome billet converter to tow my fiver! BTW they will talk to you and pretty much answer any questions you may have!

Smokie

Old 01-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Can you tell me approximately what price range I'd be looking at if went with one of theirs? If it isn't too much more, that might be an option.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Y2KW57
Keep a heads up on another concurrent thread on a torque converter installation. The OP of that thread picked up a purple Precision Industries Stallion torque converter from Brian of BTS. Brian shipped another part, that the OP called a TCC restrictor, which Brian said was important to install.

The hydraulic pressure and flow that effects the function of the TCC may be somewhat determined by the Pressure Relief valve. As I am trying to understand it, there is critical balance of flow and pressure that may make a difference between the TCC "dragging" when it is supposed to release.

Both that and this thread are of interest, as I seek to change my torque converter as well, for the same reasons as you (occasional marbles). This recent research on the balance of flow, restriction, and pressure in the fluid circuit through the pump, TC, and cooling system has added another dimension of considerations, and sheds some light on why some rebuilds fail quicker than the original equipment.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
I did see that other thread, and I've been lurking around in it a bit. I'm interested to see what the final word is on it.

Mine has been noisy since day one. When I asked about it years ago, I was told there was a period of time they were actually made like that and changed it when people started complaining. It's noisy any time the converter isn't locked up. I remember hearing a lot of trucks sound the same as mine when these first came out, but I don't remember Ford ever offering a replacement or any recall campaign for it. It seems to operate fine, but it's gotten to the point I'd like to hear the engine when I'm under the hood, not the TC. I wouldn't mind being able to order a burger in a drive-through lane with the engine running either, lol.

EDIT: I just found a TSB related to the noise here.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Y2KW57
Understood. I finally addressed a noisy idler pulley bearing. For years I thought it was my water pump, but I finally put four chassis ears on the front drive belt system and isolated the correct bearing. Once I fixed that, wow, lots of noise went away.

Not quite the job that a new TC is though. Let me post a list of the TC's I'm looking at:

1. Ford's HD Torque Converter, built with the same upgraded Torrington bearing and furnace brazed impellers that Ford improved the 5R110W transmission with.

2. Precision Industries Stallion. I'm a bit scared of this one, because I don't pull or race. I just use the truck as a truck (not a car... for that I have the P word).

3. Some version of a DACCO converter. DACCO makes the "Banks Billet" converter, but they also market one under their own name, and I can't imagine that it would be much different, except without the extra mark up. Still investigating.

4. I'll have to get back to you on the two others I've narrowed down to. They are in my favorites on a different computer. Forgot the names.

5. See above.

6. Suncoast Converter. Scared of them, because of mixed and negative user reports, but they are still on the list because of the positive user reports.

7. The rest of the diesel stuff marketing gang... like ATS, BD, etc. These companies don't build the converters themselves... they order them from somebody. I want to know the somebody, so I can read the specifications, not the spectacular marketing claims.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well here is a photo of why it sounds like marbles inside your tc. This is what mine looked like when cut apart as you can see the cover spline damage that is why getting a billet cover is a no brainer if you are going to replace your tc.

There are many other issues that need to be addressed with the 4r100 tc. There are many companies out selling tc's but most are only packaged and not built in house. Prices for a billet cover 3 disc range from $300-$1100. PI, RevMax and the company that makes JW's converter are at the top end in price and quality. I am NOT impressed with RacerX, ATS and other so called diesel branders as Y2KW said said earlier are over priced. I agree Dacco, WIT, Road Runner I think make a nice billet 3 disc tc for a fair price but I would not use any of these if you are making over 400hp or beat on your truck because they might not hold up. If you hot rod or get over 400hp I would only go with PI, RevMax or the one JW uses. I had one made locally for $300 that is working nicely for me and I tow 9k to 11k but at stock hp and I was told it was good up to 400hp. If I ever up hp I plan on going with a better built one.

Here is the one I really like it has some really trick parts in it.
4R100 Stage 5 Torque Converter?

And if you care to understand the what and why's of 4r100 tc's here is what I have learned. Some of the links are dead... Sorry
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-problems.html

Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Y2KW57
BadDogKuzz, if I had known that you were going to post THIS of the spline damage, I'd have waited to rep you here instead of the other good post I've already repped you on, meaning that you are not getting your full due! Thanks for the pic, the comments, and the link.

Quick Reply: Torque converter GROB cover? LOLWUT?