1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Cummins swap/frame question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I'll bet that'll be noisy and smoky. But, cool nonetheless. A major milestone.
If I can, I'll get video of it. I do have this fancy fone that can do that kinda thing, afterall......

I have most everything needed to make it fire up and run, just gotta get it all together and hook up a battery.
Hope it doesn't take too long to get the fuel system bled. I'd love to make smoke with it this weekend.
By making it run before installing, it should be quite easy to get it running again once it's in.

Indeed, it would be a major milestone though.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:01 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And a very good feeling when it does knowing it will once actually in frame...

Old 10-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
I dunno why, but I couldn't get my phone to sync up with the computer earlier, so I didn't take any pics or video.
But, I filled the shop with smoke today. Didn't take long to make it hard to see/breathe either...... I suppose having put ATF directly into the cyls before turning the engine over had a lot to do with the smokey fire up. At least the rings had some lube.

Took a bit longer to get the fuel system bled than what I had expected. The mechanical pump on the side of the block just did not want to pick up any fuel. So, I took off the output line, put my finger over the outlet port, and pumped it till fuel came out.
That done, it didn't long at all to get the injection pump and lines mostly bled out.
I had to hook up 2 batteries in order to get it to turn over fast enough to light off, most likely due to not having a real good battery laying handy.
First time it lit, it only ran a few seconds, which was kinda surprising since all 6 injector lines were still loose. It started on just the residual ATF in the cyls, and boy did the smoke roll.......
Once the smoke thinned out a bit, I cranked it over till fuel started spraying from the loose injector lines, and tightened each line as fuel showed up. After having fuel at 4 of the 6 injectors, it fired up, again filling the shop with smoke.
I didn't let it run very long, and it's still not quite hitting on all 6. I haven't yet adjusted the valves, so I'm planning to get that done, and give it some more run time, though it may be next weekend before that happens.

Been a pretty good day, if ya ask me.....

Old 10-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Congrat's!!! That IS a good day. Now you know it'll run when you get it in the truck. Cool!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:30 PM
BlueBruiser
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been on for some time, but over the weekend I acquired a good deal on a 6BT. So figured I'd search to see what others have done with them. Not 100% sure my Cummins will make it into my bullnose, but it just might.
Subscribed - now I can start reading from page 1.
-BlueBruiser.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Quick update:
I moved in Nov '14, and had no internet access until very recently.
I spent way more time & effort locating stuff and tinkering with the engine/trans than I intended to. The truck hadn't seen much progress since I moved, until yesterday.
I put the trans back together with the new 5th gear nut, installed a new input shaft, and got it ready to go in.
Put the new clutch on the back of the engine, and with the assistance of my son, we bolted the engine trans together. Then we lifted them up, and set them into the chassis. The engine mounts I had planned, will not work.
As of last night, the engine and trans are sitting in the chassis, with the engine mount brackets resting on the frame stands, and the trans mount location resting on the crossmember which is simply sitting on the lower frame rails. The entire weight of the combo is sitting directly on the frame, although a few inches higher than the final location will be, and the hood will still clear the top of the engine with the turbo outlet to intake manifold crossover tube in place.
The next step will be fabricating new engine mount brackets for the engine that will allow it go down lower. There's still ~6" between the oil pan and front crossmember, so there's quite a bit of room to go lower, and I want to set it as low as possible. Oil pan width may be the only thing that limits how low I can get it.

FWIW, the front springs that were way too stiff under the 300/C6 combo, keeping the front tires cambered out up top, are likely going to be just right under the 6BT/NV4500 combo. With the full weight on the frame, the front tires are almost perfectly vertical, and the there's no rad support or rad, bumper, or engine accessories (A/C, Alt, Vacuum/PS pump combo) bolted on yet.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to see you are still at it! I wish I could find the time and resources to swap a Cummins into my truck.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Welcome back, Kotter! So glad to see you are back - or at least I hope you are back.

On the truck, you are making good progress, albeit somewhat later than you expected. You'll get there, and soon I'm sure.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:11 AM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Great to see you back, Paul
With the sudden & total absence, I had wondered/feared the worst.

My brother has one of these (turbo'd 6BT) in his log skidder!

Old 02-22-2016, 09:13 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
My absense was not anticipated to last this long. I moved out of town, into the country. Very few internet options out here. I tried 2 different providers that claimed they could give high speed internet virtually anywhere. Apparently, my house is the exception to the rule......
I have a wireless service, and it's a bit pricier than most wired services, and slower, but still way better than dial-up. Signal quality can sometimes be an issue, particularly in windy conditions, but at least I can access the web from home.
I have a tablet style PC at the shop, but the screen is too small to really be able to read forums and such on, especially compared to the 32" LED TV I have here at the house, in use as a monitor.........

I likely won't be on a lot, as I have a lot of stuff to keep me occupied these days, but I'll still be on 2-3 times a week hopefully.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
We will take what we can get.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Went to eat last night, and as I was leaving, I got into a slight arguement with my son. As we walked out the door, we could hear a diesel truck running. He commented about hearing "a diesel", to which I replied with "I hear a cummins". He spotted the source of the noise, and said "nope, powerstroke". It was a Ford super duty.
Got in the car and started out of the parking lot, drove past the ford, at which point I pointed out the big "C" logo badges on the sides of the fenders.
He decided that I was correct, as usual........
Those common rail cummins have a rather distinctive sound to them, even from a couple hundred yards away.

On another note, he is considering buying a 93 F150 that the boss has. It's a 300/5 speed. Would make a great candidate for a 4BT swap down the road, when the 300 finally dies. Might be a while though, as it only has ~250K on it.........

Old 02-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Dad is always right. My father used to quote Mark Twain:
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.
I think he was telling me that I would come to realize how much he knew. And, I surely have.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:57 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Dad is always right. My father used to quote Mark Twain:
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.
I think he was telling me that I would come to realize how much he knew. And, I surely have.

And, I think your dad would respond to you with: "If that was meant as a compliment, then I thank you".

Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Amen! You have Dad pegged.

Quick Reply: Cummins swap/frame question