Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2001 Escape Liftgate intermittently stays locked?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 AM
husker3in4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Escape Liftgate intermittently stays locked?

I have a 2001 Escape XLT (3.0) and after getting some wonderful help here regarding my upper/lower intake problem, I thought I would ask about my weird liftgate problem. When I first got the Escape a few months ago, the liftgate opened fine, but it wouldnt lock at all. Then one day for no apparent reason, it stays locked no matter what I do. Some days it opens fine, other days it doesn't. At some point I made a connection between the Window Lock button on the driver control panel being in lock/unlock mode determining if the liftgate would stay locked or not, but it doesn't always do the trick. So now I am at a loss as to what is causing this. Its very inconvenient to have to go over the back seats to load items into the trunk area, and its also a security issue if I cant get the liftgate to lock when I want it to.

Is this still a liftgate actuator issue? or is it a wiring or fuse issue? Anyone have a similar experience?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
For what it is worth, my 01 F350 would lock the tailgate on its own. I did not want to complain to the dealer as I didn't think they would believe me. When I mentioned this I was told this had been a problem and they replaced the lock cylinder and it fixed the issue. I am sure someone will come along who has had this problem and can be of assistance.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Open the liftgate and remove the liftgate trim panel. Above the latch you will see an obnoxiously overcomplicated mechanism that is called the "Liftgate Latch Remote Control." Attached to this is a black rectangular box. This is the Lock actuator. Hit the lock or unlock button on the key fob several times while observing the actuator. If the actuator pushes hard the first time then gradually gets weaker, it needs to be replaced. You can try adding a bit of resistance with your fingers to make sure it is strong enough to operate the linkage. Also, the remote control has a tendency to corrode, since it is not easily accessible for lubing during maintenance. If it is corroded, use a penetrating oil to hose it down and keep working it until it gets loose. They often need to be replaced due to corrosion or weak actuators.

If the actuator and remote look fine, you could have a circuit problem. The lock actuator is a simple 12v motor with a power and ground circuit. You can check the circuits with a DVOM or preferably an incandescent test light while hitting the lock/unlock buttons on the fob. One wire will be positive during lock mode, and the other will be grounded. Polarity reverses when the unlock button is pressed.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:30 PM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
What Ii found on my '02 when I was experiencing a similar issue...
Lock mechanism sounded normal when locked/unlocked, but the lift gate would not open. The window locked and unlocked, but the lift gate wouldn't budge. I crawled into the back and removed the cover, watched the mechanism.... no issues observed.
I got out and inspected the handle itself and found it to be cracked and broken between the handle and the portion where the link attaches. So I need to replace the handle.
Since we were actually packing for a road trip, I straightened and custom bent a wire clothes hanger to connect to the linkage and extend up through the gap where the glass latch is. To open the lift gate. I need to open the glass and pull up on the wire.
While we're on this topic, every Escape owner needs to very closely inspect the hinges for their glass. I had one break and if I hadn't been holding it the way I had been, the gas shock for the passenger side would have forced the glass to twist and shatter. If you see any signs whatsoever of the plastic deteriorating, put new ones on.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Jayme88
Trailering
I replaced the lock actuator.

Omega DS-2SQ (DS2SQ) Import Style Thin Door Lock Actautor Motor

I got lucky, ordered it right before it went out of stock.. seems to be hard to find now..

Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 AM
husker3in4
Junior User
I ordered an actuator a few months ago and I think its the same one that you linked. Its been cold and snowy and I haven't been able to to into the liftgate.

On Another note, I was on Ebay checking into new keyless remotes since the one I got with the Escape broke. The one I had only had 3 buttons, the standard door lock, door unlock and panic button. I also noticed some that looked the same except they had 4 buttons. The 4th button was a specific liftgate unlock button. Is it possible that I really just need a keyless remote with the liftgate unlock button?

Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I would highly doubt that using a 4 button FOB would enable just opening the liftgate.
3 button remotes are
 DIRT CHEAP on Amazon. DIRT CHEAP on Amazon.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Tennesseepowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by got2bjoester
I would highly doubt that using a 4 button FOB would enable just opening the liftgate.
3 button remotes are DIRT CHEAP on Amazon.
A 4 button remote will not open the liftgate. The fourth button only opens the trunk on a car.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
I don't think any Escapes (until this latest body style) came with motorized lift gates.