5.4 Vin 5 oil pressure low when hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 PM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Vin 5 oil pressure low when hot

I recently had timing chains, tensioners, vvt solenoids, and phasers replaced because the truck would idle dangerously low in drive at stops after it got up to temperature. I figured the solenoids/phasers were gummed up and constricting oil, and the timing components needed done anyway. It was fine for a month or so then started doing the same thing again. Started using 15w 40 and it was fine for a couple weeks then its back again. The only code that I know is coming up is a p0420. I have not personally manually checked the oil pressure but to my knowledge the guy who did the phasers/chains did. What are my inexpensive alternatives to attempt to solve this?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:10 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RhondaBruce
I recently had timing chains, tensioners, vvt solenoids, and phasers replaced because the truck would idle dangerously low in drive at stops after it got up to temperature. I figured the solenoids/phasers were gummed up and constricting oil, and the timing components needed done anyway. It was fine for a month or so then started doing the same thing again. Started using 15w 40 and it was fine for a couple weeks then its back again. The only code that I know is coming up is a p0420. I have not personally manually checked the oil pressure but to my knowledge the guy who did the phasers/chains did. What are my inexpensive alternatives to attempt to solve this?
the heavier oil is not a good remedy.

these new engines have closer tolerances and don't tolerate it well.

Ok more info needed.... is this 04' or newer truck or a 03' and older?
with phasers changed gonna presume 04' and newer and that the timing chain guides were done as well.?

you need to ask if the shop that did the work If they dropped the oil pan and made sure the oil pick up was cleaned?? Reason being is that the chain guides and shave that plastic and that can clog up the pick screen reducing the oil flow. Or at least removed the solenoids and made sure there was no blockage or reduced oil flow there.

You NEED to have the oil pressure readings, NOT from the dash they are not accurate enough, ( they're just a glorified on off switch)...so a mechanical oil pressure guage....gonna need PSI readings to realyl know what is happening.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 AM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
the heavier oil is not a good remedy.

these new engines have closer tolerances and don't tolerate it well.

Ok more info needed.... is this 04' or newer truck or a 03' and older?
with phasers changed gonna presume 04' and newer and that the timing chain guides were done as well.?

you need to ask if the shop that did the work If they dropped the oil pan and made sure the oil pick up was cleaned?? Reason being is that the chain guides and shave that plastic and that can clog up the pick screen reducing the oil flow. Or at least removed the solenoids and made sure there was no blockage or reduced oil flow there.

You NEED to have the oil pressure readings, NOT from the dash they are not accurate enough, ( they're just a glorified on off switch)...so a mechanical oil pressure guage....gonna need PSI readings to realyl know what is happening.
It is an '04. I dont think the mechanic dropped the pan due to it being 4x4 and the bill was getting pricey for me. I will try to get some oil pressure numbers together

Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM
jesse5
Senior User
More than likely you will need an engine. If the oil pressure had been checked first that money could have been put toward an engine. See if shop will credit toward engine.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
Is there a way to clear the oil pickup without removing the pan? Or would it be worth replacing the pump before spending thousands on an engine?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RhondaBruce
Is there a way to clear the oil pickup without removing the pan? Or would it be worth replacing the pump before spending thousands on an engine?
doubtful there is a "inexpensive route" at this point.

A new oil pump maybe in order & might cure it? IDK But then you just throwing parts at it hoping it will fix it.

getting a used engine out of a salvage yard is a roll of the dice as well.

How did this run prior to this engine work? IF it ran well and phaser issue was short term and now the low oil pressure and p420 code are relatively new as well....I'd prolly spend some more on it before tossing it aside and starting over with a different engine.

I would also lean on the shop that did the work...to explain why oil pressure wasn't checked...IF & only IF...this low oil pressure developed right after the work was done. If it is a reputable shop , willing to bet that they will work with you. I'd at least ask for compression check and oil pressure check

Last edited by enriched&beyound; 01-19-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 PM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
The shop that did the work is a lot further away from me now since I've relocated. The shop did what I asked them to do which was based on the research I did. It still definately needed what was done, but obviously needs additional repairs. I would much rather replace an oil pump than an engine..if that would work. Its running now the same as it did before I had the timing/vct work done. It seems worth it either way to drop the pan and see whats goin on in there. Based on what the old tensioners looked like, it seems theres a good chance the fragments are clogging something. If not, a pump cant be that pricey if I am doing the labor.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 PM
jesse5
Senior User
If you told a shop what to do rather than diagnose then that is on you. You may be getting ready to make the same mistake. The engine needs to come out to remove oil pan. To replace oil pump would also require the timing cover to come off again and the timing chains. No guarantee this would fix it. Cam bores may be worn and require heads replacement. I would not do it.