1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Freight costs will not be a problem in the future.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freight costs will not be a problem in the future.

Listening to the radio yesterday and a bloke was talking about new developments in science and technology, things I think he had seen at some technology show. One thing he mentioned is that on line shopping is taking over from stand alone shops. Now the problem with that is that everything is shipped around the country or the world.

This bloke talked about experiments with people in wheelchairs for example, who have computers hooked to their mind and are able to move things, for example control a model helicopter in flight. So he goes on to say that one day we will be able to hook our minds to a computer and transport things to us.

Now I certainly don't doubt him, I am sure he knows what he is talking about, however I am a little concerned about the learners, for example, mind transporting a 56 Ford F100 or similar, front fender, across the country. It could be a bit hectic in the flight path I think.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Pretty interesting concept. But I agree with you a F100 or larger flying thru the air could be troublesome.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you a bit board down under? Maybe ya need ta go see the Wizard Of OZ?

Old 01-16-2014, 03:25 PM
qmanconfused
Senior User
I was down there a few years ago and I didn't see any 53-56 fords anywhere....trucks or cars!!!! so, if they start shipping the way you say will happen they will get shot down as U.F.O.s!!!! you're still out of luck!!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by qmanconfused
I was down there a few years ago and I didn't see any 53-56 fords anywhere....trucks or cars!!!! so, if they start shipping the way you say will happen they will get shot down as U.F.O.s!!!! you're still out of luck!!
qman, it is funny you say that about not seeing any 56's. There are some nice ones around, trucks and cars, vics and crown vics, but no it is rare to see them I guess. There is a dead ringer for my truck getting around here, I haven't tracked down yet.

What surprised me was when I holidayed in the US on 2 occasions, for 8 weeks total, and travelling through quite a few states, I only saw probably 6 hot old cars. I thought there would be old trucks, hot muscle cars and great looking old time hot rods and 50's to 70's stuff getting around. If ever I heard something that sounded tough it would be some big monster diesel pickup which doesn't interest me in the least.

Is that the case in the areas where you live, we see a lot of stuff Friday or Saturday night at the local meets, but not a lot cruising regularly. I occasionally see a lovely tough 55 Chev coupe around.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey Q! Missed yah around here! How is the wagon and the truck coming along?

I think Aus is right, I very seldom see a fifties pickup cruising or sitting around or even any hot rod for that matter except at specific gatherings, so it would probably seem the same as your experience there to someone visiting here for a week or two.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Wink Watch out - DUCK!!!!!

OK, I'm getting the hang of this levitation transport.
I found an rear end to an F2 in the U.K. that has a 4:11 swap already completed. Figured I could save myself the trouble of boogering up the gear swap and get one nicely done and painted. The owner of it (a member here) probably won't miss it.
It took a while but I managed to get it to lift off his chassis (he got the torque specs right I'll tell you) and get it out of his garage. Sorry about the broken window, I'm just learning here.
I lifted it up to about 3,000 feet and started heading West. Lost some altitude over Ireland when I was eating a sandwich as a result of broken concentration and swept the unit through a pub's open front door. Conked a few blokes over the head while trying to turn it around and back out the door. They now have a story to tell that only the sober folks in the pub will believe. (in other words -nobody) Managed to get some altitude again and continued West with the rear end across the Atlantic. I took a nap figuring it was a straight shot to Maine. Well I had a dream about some tanned babes applying sunscreen on the beach in Florida and the whole unit started going South instead of West. When I woke up I had to concentrate again and get it back on course. By this time the straightest line between point A and point B (my driveway) was to go over Washington, D.C.
Having some newfound experience with conking folks over the head by accident with a 400 pound object, I began to get ideas.
Would that 55" wide rear end fit through the door to the White House? Would it get shot down by anti-Timken missiles? Or would it evade radar by the great black paint job that the previous owner did?
I thought I'd take a chance and go on a 'knock-some-sense' mission.
As luck would have it the doorway was only 49" wide. Backed up a few times and tried different angles but it looked like a Three Stooges approach to doorway entry and I didn't get in.
I continued North a ways longer, but had to land it so that I could install some beacon and rotary lights on the pig belly and at the wheel studs of each end. Now I'm legal for night flight and back on course.
I currently have it over Connecticut and....oh crap.....shouldn't have been typing so long I lost altitude again.
You guys in Hartford....DUCK!!!

(with apologies to FTE member helicopterman)

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Pineconeford, it would be a lot easier the second time I am sure. By the way I am glad I haven’t posted any pictures of attractive gear on MY truck. Well done.

Arctic yes I guess I am bored, when I have read any posts that the title attracts my attention, I will then go and read the ones that did not attract my attention the first time. Sometimes I will even pick an old page and go back and see what was happening then. A lot of different names even a few years back,<O></O>
I think I need to get out and try to do something on my truck, it’s not as if it is finished or pristine by any stretch, just that I am slow. <O></O>
Just remember to keep looking over your shoulder for flying parts.<O></O>

Old 01-16-2014, 10:32 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Neville, you need to come visit my area, lots of old stuff still running around here. Any nice sunny day you will see old cars and trucks on the road. Winter time not as much, but still some 60's cars and trucks.
Take your truck out for a drive.....maybe it will encourage others too!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Tinman, good to hear from you. Is that Montana where you are. I had hoped to be in the US on holiday from now for a month, to see Pomona swap meet, then Grand National roadster show about a week or 2 later then Sacramento Autorama for the customs. Do some touring around in between.

Unfortunately, didn't make it this year, hopefully next year. I reckon your area looks pretty cold in that time period though. It would be great to see some sweet cars and trucks getting around, not just for a show.

And you are right, I need to drive my truck more. At least it is Friday afternoon and I will probably be going to the local get together tonight.

I guess cost is a big part of the reason we don't see many hot cars on the street in regular use. I don't know what an average to nice streeter car or truck is worth over there. A nice standard 1972 Falcon sedan, a very desirable starting point here, can nowadays cost 10 to 20 thousand to start with. A real nice one done up will be from 35 to well over a hundred grand for a top of the line GT. Some, before the financial crisis, have gone for 3,4-8 hundred thousand dollars. All the old classic Australian iron is very expensive, and importing from America is big bucks.

Of course not all of the cars are worth that kind of money, but a lot of the desirable stuff costs big bucks to get into, and more if you want it nice. I guess the worry of theft, vandalism and chance of accident, keeps a lot of nice stuff in the garage most of the time.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 AM
Aus56
Elder User
You might wonder why Australians love Falcons. This is a little idea why Australians love GT Falcons. Racing around Bathurst, our top race track. He is chasing a Holden (GM) GT's did well at Bathurst in the day.

Here is Darrell Waltrip, being taken on a lap of Bathurst. 200mph on a country road. He is probably playing it up a bit, but it is entertaining.

A snippet from an Australian auction, though I can't see the date.

A fully restored Monza Green 1971 Ford XY Falcon GT-HO Phase III lead the charge at Shannons Melbourne Winter Auction yesterday, sparking a fierce bidding war and eventually selling above its estimated price range for $331,000.

Bidding started at $260,000 for the legendary Australian muscle car with 107,000 miles (172,000km) on the clock, soaring by $10,000s before creeping up by $1000s to the epic final price.

e

Old 01-17-2014, 08:04 AM
qmanconfused
Senior User
hey Neville...
I guess u answered your own question. the cost of having even a driver level car is great. so, off to work to make the $$$ it costs. a lot of owners of the desirable cars are RETIRED. like me (and ax) have done our bit in the work-a-day world and now have the time AND money it takes to enjoy the hobby we all love. around here in the north east where I live we have cruise nites nearly every nite of the week BUT only during the good 7-8 months of the year. on top of that you have to take into consideration NAP TIME! us older guys seam to sneek off in the middle of the afternoon to catch a few winks so the cars are parked during those hours too. no wonder you didn't see many when you were here. the best thing you can do when you are here the next time is to hook up with one of us older guys and follow us around. you'll see plenty of those special cars and trucks. my hat is off to the younger guys that have the disease. costs today are so astronomic that it causes some of us to ship our parts thru the air....one country to the next...one state to the next....and all the adventures in between.
qman

Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by qmanconfused
hey Neville...
I guess u answered your own question. the cost of having even a driver level car is great. so, off to work to make the $$$ it costs. a lot of owners of the desirable cars are RETIRED. like me (and ax) have done our bit in the work-a-day world and now have the time AND money it takes to enjoy the hobby we all love. around here in the north east where I live we have cruise nites nearly every nite of the week BUT only during the good 7-8 months of the year. on top of that you have to take into consideration NAP TIME! us older guys seam to sneek off in the middle of the afternoon to catch a few winks so the cars are parked during those hours too. no wonder you didn't see many when you were here. the best thing you can do when you are here the next time is to hook up with one of us older guys and follow us around. you'll see plenty of those special cars and trucks. my hat is off to the younger guys that have the disease. costs today are so astronomic that it causes some of us to ship our parts thru the air....one country to the next...one state to the next....and all the adventures in between.
qman
qman, I had hoped to be retired now but the global financial crisis did not help there, and I still can't afford to do it. Have to wait a few years I guess. I am fortunate, there are 2 weekly meetings for cars within 15 minutes of me. I feel sorry for young blokes wanting to get into nice cars, the startup price for anything popular and in fair to reasonable condition is so high here. At least in America, vehicle production numbers were high, but not so in Australia, just not so many of the desirable models around. Interesting but different cars, models is the option I guess, if you can find one you like.