1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fifth wheel towing hope i'm ok or what do i need

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
You will want some airbags. Your door cert indicates the axle rating. But keep in mine the F350 SRW has the same axle. It is rated higher. It is a numbers game only.

Tires will be your limiting factor. Probably around 6400 lbs.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 AM
RESCUE EMT
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok i bit the bullet air bags firestone 3525 w/ compressor $600 the tires are rated E and are 3640 lbs load rated each for a 7280 lbs total . i was always going to put bags on it even with my old camper the truck would go down 1 1/2 - 2 "just touching the help spring like i said i have the camper tow package extra spring and the anti sway with the 7200 rear axiles i'm feeling a little better about it then i did at this point .

Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Yeah I think you will be fine.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM
rayk1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by txdutt0122
I tow pretty close to that weight with 2011 F250 6.7 and my 5'er. GVW on the trailer is 15.5k, guessing my pin is around 2600. It did squat the truck with the stock setup about 3" but I just installed a set of Timbrens last week and had my first opportunity to tow the rig this weekend. All I can say is I've been impressed so far with the Timbrens- the truck is almost level-probably set the rear down by an inch or less and the ride is definitely smoother. The powertrain can definitely handle the weight!!
Don't want to hyjack this thread, but has anyone else used the Timbrens? How does the Timbrens effect the ride of truck when empty? I am seeking a solution to the "squat" other than air bags. Timbrens may be the answer I am looking for.

Ray

Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM
RESCUE EMT
Mountain Pass
All I can tell you is that everyone I asked told me to go with the air bags . they are a lot more versatile . depending on what you are going to haul just one thing Timbrens will work fine. If you are going to change loads and get the best ride out of each air bags work better . Timbrens are a lot cheaper around $100 and for most hauls will do just fine air bags $275 and compressor$325 total $600 you can go without the compressor . I guess its the same old thing they both do the same thing one you can change load range easy one you can not and of course money . 2 people I asked had timbrens and then bought air bags . hope this helped PS :: I went with the air bags

Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by rayk1
Don't want to hyjack this thread, but has anyone else used the Timbrens? How does the Timbrens effect the ride of truck when empty? I am seeking a solution to the "squat" other than air bags. Timbrens may be the answer I am looking for.

Ray

When you get right down to it, Timbrens are pretty much a fancy bump stop turned into some sort of helper spring. Which is better for you depends primarily on your wants and priorities.

For me I wanted my truck to sit at a certain level, no matter what my load was, from empty to 5,000 lbs in the bed. Bags can do that for you, Timbrens will not. Adding bags will not affect your unladen ride at all, if that is your wish. In essence you can turn them off, and when on they are infinitely adjustable for the load up to their limit. Timbrens are not.

Comparatively speaking bags with a compressor are expensive. Bags without a compressor are not so much more expensive as to be cost prohibitive compared to the Timbrens. And even without a compressor they are still adjustable, needing only a hit from your portable compressor or a trip to the local gas station, which makes them a ton more versatile in my opinion.

In my case I went with bags, on-board compressor, and ride height sensor. I set it where I wanted it, and promptly forgot about it. My truck rides the same height no matter what. If my tank is empty and I fill it, the system adjusts. As I burn fuel, the system dumps air. 5,000 lbs in the bed, same height as empty. That's how I wanted it and I have to give it no thought.

For me cost was of less concern than convenience, so I chose bags and I've used them on 3 different trucks without issue.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM
rayk1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tgreening
When you get right down to it, Timbrens are pretty much a fancy bump stop turned into some sort of helper spring. Which is better for you depends primarily on your wants and priorities.

For me I wanted my truck to sit at a certain level, no matter what my load was, from empty to 5,000 lbs in the bed. Bags can do that for you, Timbrens will not. Adding bags will not affect your unladen ride at all, if that is your wish. In essence you can turn them off, and when on they are infinitely adjustable for the load up to their limit. Timbrens are not.

Comparatively speaking bags with a compressor are expensive. Bags without a compressor are not so much more expensive as to be cost prohibitive compared to the Timbrens. And even without a compressor they are still adjustable, needing only a hit from your portable compressor or a trip to the local gas station, which makes them a ton more versatile in my opinion.

In my case I went with bags, on-board compressor, and ride height sensor. I set it where I wanted it, and promptly forgot about it. My truck rides the same height no matter what. If my tank is empty and I fill it, the system adjusts. As I burn fuel, the system dumps air. 5,000 lbs in the bed, same height as empty. That's how I wanted it and I have to give it no thought.

For me cost was of less concern than convenience, so I chose bags and I've used them on 3 different trucks without issue.

Guess I was looking for an easy way out, remind myself of the old saying "you can't pay a little and get a lot". Guess I will start looking for best deal on air bags. Thanks

Ray

Old 01-22-2014, 12:38 PM
RESCUE EMT
Mountain Pass
RAYK1 I got mine at e- trailer e-bay is about the same you are right shop till ya drop . I went with firestones because I could find replacement parts for the system most everywhere . GOOD LUCK and never think twice about asking questions in the forum no matter where it's all good :-)

Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
lefty_AF_Ret
New User
Here's what I found out in my research:

The answers to most of your questions about your truck can be found on two stickers located on the driver's door or door pillar. First one is the white VIN label which gives you the GVWR for that vehicle (mine was 10,000 on my current F250 and is 11,300 on the F350 I'm buying), the F(ront)GAWR and the R(ear)GAWR are also on that sticker. Second label is a yellow tire label that gives you max payload specific to that vehicle (1,616# on my F250 and 3,130# on my soon to be new F350).

GVWR minus max payload gives you the weight of your truck as built (basically the curb weight for your truck...not the curb weight the manufacturer's list - which is for a base model with no options). That weight includes a 150 lb operator, full fuel tanks, and all other necessary fluids.

To me the most important number was max payload. With my new truck at a max 3,130 payload: I know I want to tow a 5'er with a dry pin weight of 1,750# that will go to around a 1,900# pin weight when I add all of our gear to the trailer (about 1,000# of gear). The turnover ball and companion 5'er hitch weigh about 245#; other gear & passengers around 650#.

So...

Max payload of 3,130 minus (1,900+245+650) = 335# of payload capacity remaining.

My reason for buying the new F350 is the old F250 looked like this:

Max payload of 1,616 minus (1,900+245+650) = over max payload by 1,179#.

Not the way I want to be when I'm towing with 3 grandkids in the backseat.

Max trailer weight rating for both trucks (15,200 or 15,900) was more than adequate for my GVWR trailer max weight of 12,000# and the GCWR was good too for the truck trailer combo weight (ratings of 23,000 or 23,500).

It all seemed simple to me once I decided that max payload capacity was going to be my determining factor - since everything else on the truck is pretty much designed around the GVWR & the max payload number...braking power, handling, suspension etc.

Best wishes...

Old 01-23-2014, 04:32 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
If anybody needs a good price on Firestone airbags check RV Parts, RV Accessories RV Supplies Priced Low. Got my bags and on board compressor for $438. Just hoping to help a brother out.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Good info in this thread. How does one find a place to weigh there truck and trailer (Cat-scale?). What's the cost?
thanks.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM
lefty_AF_Ret
New User
Originally Posted by Bobbykjl
Good info in this thread. How does one find a place to weigh there truck and trailer (Cat-scale?). What's the cost?
thanks.
You can locate a CAT scale here:

CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

I paid $10 for a one time weigh...but same day re-weighs are $2 more per each additional weigh I think.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:57 PM
RESCUE EMT
Mountain Pass
nice cat scale locator thanks you can also find then along expressways and thruways as you enter a different state . also a nice price on bags your just a couple days late my air bags was $375 + pump total 600 I know a gravel pit that has axel scales once I get my new camper I will be going to get everything weighed to see where i'm at

Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One word of advice for anyone who tows overweight because their superduty can "handle" it. A neighbor did just that for over 3 years every weekend. Last fall he got into a minor fender bender and when the agent came out to take pictures and do the appraisal he said hook it up lets go to a scale. Found him to be overweight by 550# empty, insurance refused to cover claim. Lesson learned. With all gambles comes a risk.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 PM
lefty_AF_Ret
New User
Originally Posted by rjfetz1
One word of advice for anyone who tows overweight because their superduty can "handle" it. A neighbor did just that for over 3 years every weekend. Last fall he got into a minor fender bender and when the agent came out to take pictures and do the appraisal he said hook it up lets go to a scale. Found him to be overweight by 550# empty, insurance refused to cover claim. Lesson learned. With all gambles comes a risk.
I have seen other comments to that effect regarding insurance claims. Your friend was probably lucky in that it was a 'minor fender bender' and not a fatality accident. Lawyers would have had a field day and took everything he had...probably then and far into his future.

Quick Reply: fifth wheel towing hope i'm ok or what do i need