1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Running cars on LPG (propane) in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Lauda
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running cars on LPG (propane) in the U.S.?

Hey guys!

I have not visited the forum for a long time , and thought I'd check with the majority living in the U.S. if you have experience of running your car on LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas = Propane or Butane)?

As my signature shows , I have a 2003 Expy 5.4 L and have now run about 25,000 miles without problems. I have an LPG system that is manufactured in Italy and is called BRC Plug & Drive. As the name implies, then this installation very easy for companies engaged in this type of alternative fuel.

Norway is the fifth largest oil exporter in the world. Yet we have very expensive gasoline . The price per . gallon is $ 10.75 When you then have a V8 of 5.4 liters , so it gets expensive. With LPG so I pay only $ 4.65 per gallon.

It is said by professionals, that I use about 5 -10 percent more fuel and has a power dissipation of about 10 percent , but who cares about that ?

Another issue is that I pollute about not by running on LPG. Everyone has seen forklifts that run on propane indoors, as well proof enough .

I've searched a bit on this forum and Google to see if this is widespread in the United States but can not find any decent information .

If anyone has any information about LPG is widely used in the U.S., so let me hear about it.

TESLA S
As a curiosity, I can tell that Norway is the country in the world that imports Tesla S in relation to the number of inhabitants (about 5,000,000). In 2013, it sold approximately 2,000 Tesla S. In 2014, it is believed that the sales we remain at about 5,000 cars if the factory is able to produce and deliver enough cars.

The reason that this car has become so popular in Norway is that there is no import tax, the cars can be recharged free in many places. Tesla has built its own charging stations between major cities. Free parking, and until further notice, they can run in the collective fields. These lanes have only been reserved for buses and taxis. It is not only the Tesla S as a seller. Nissan Leaf has now passed the VW Golf, which is the most sold car for many years.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the whole vehicle when it comes to battery and hybrid operation.

Even so I do not understand why the Norwegian authorities do not work to use LPG as a satisfactory alternative to gasoline.

Sorry enough once for my bad U.S. / English grammar.

Best regards Paal

Old 07-31-2017, 04:55 PM
V8BB
Junior User
Hi Paal,

just check this out: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-worth-it.html

See you...

Ronny

Old 07-31-2017, 05:21 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Hi Paal

Propane conversions are done to some extent, especially for fleet vehicles. Part of the problem is the USA is a much larger country, so even though a propane vehicle range can be far larger than gasoline, propane availability can sometimes be an issue. There are some benefits as you mentioned, additionally crankcase oil does not become contaminated. I looked into a conversion many years ago, but it was about $5000 for the kit and installation, which would buy a lot of gasoline. The reason gasoline is so expensive in your country is because of the very high government tax.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Brett_N
Freshman User
Hi Lauda

Welcome to the states? Or, close enough?

The LPG laws differ by state. When I lived in Oregon, they were LPG friendly to us common folks, but, here in Arizona, it has to be a state or fleet vehicle.

I had a Jeep TJ converted to LPG (and a supercharger!) and it ran like a beast. in, state by state, it's questionable if you can refill at the gas station, or not. I had mine setup so I could use 20# BBQ cylinders, or the under body #50 cylinders, and refill both at the same time or from one another.

I'm a huge fan of LPG and LNG.....it's super cheap in the US and you get great mileage on some of these heavier vehicles.