1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

AMP Research "powerstep" power running boards on a dentside?

Old 01-22-2014, 01:49 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a guy locally asking $700 for a pair of used Amp's, is that a good buy ? I had no idea they were that kind of money ? I'm looking forward to seeing more.....

NorthwestX360 that had to be him, 1400 lb ft tq Cummins under the hood

Old 01-22-2014, 02:04 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Like with our trucks - I'd think location may come into play with price factor.
I'm in So. Cal. = lots of goofy lifted mall crawlers here & kids spending mom & dad's $$. Lots more sets sold I'd think = more to choose from used.

I got mine for $550 which is low. A buddy said he's seen them go from $450-900. For the little time I've looked I found a set for $450 (the 1st set I looked at - with the broken part), the ones I bought, which were listed at $650, & then a bunch in the $800 range.

These things are $1250-$1400 new from what I've seen, and I just don't have that kind of cash for something like this. My $550 was still semi hard to swallow, but it's about as cheap as I've seen um & I sold a set of coilovers for $500 at the same time to cover it, so it stung a bit less.

These things are built well from what I've seen, so as long as the motors hold up (they have on my buddy's truck) they may be worth it. Heck - if it makes the wife happy & more likely to actually ride in this thing - it's worth it.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:07 PM
DaytonaTunnel
Tuned
Thanks for the info !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
No problem.

A bit of an update as far as the length of actual step thing:

In the instruction PDF I was emailed from AMP (who's service / tech dept. seems to be very helpful & quick to reply with good info!) it says that you cut the steps down for an extended cab truck or a Tahoe/Yukon or Escalade. Steps come at 79" length & you cut down to 72" for these it says. So that confirms my theory of getting a longer set & being able to trim down.

I would also think one could install these on a standard cab if you were so inclined. I don't have one around anymore to look at the room under the cab, but if I'm remembering/picturing it in my head right I think they'd fit. You'd just cut the step length way down.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:26 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Back from the dead bump!

Been dead a while as the arrival of my daughter in early February shut this down for a long bit. I have been making tiny amounts of progress on this as of recently though & more pics/info will be added so as to update the thread when I make the time to upload the photos I've been taking...

All of my dealings have been with mounting the things though. Wiring I'll have to figure out later. Much later unfortunately as it's very low on very long list that is my build.

I have seen on some forums for the 90's F-250s/350's that guys have modified these to fit & figured out wiring, but I was not able to get in contact with them to pick their brain on it. So if anybody sees this & has done it - please chime in!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Back from the dead bump!

Been dead a while as the arrival of my daughter in early February shut this down for a long bit. I have been making tiny amounts of progress on this as of recently though & more pics/info will be added so as to update the thread when I make the time to upload the photos I've been taking...

All of my dealings have been with mounting the things though. Wiring I'll have to figure out later. Much later unfortunately as it's very low on very long list that is my build.

I have seen on some forums for the 90's F-250s/350's that guys have modified these to fit & figured out wiring, but I was not able to get in contact with them to pick their brain on it. So if anybody sees this & has done it - please chime in!
Congrats on the young'n man!!! Darn near the best dang thing a guy can do.

The truck will be there when you get to it, and so will we.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:10 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Thanks. She keeps me smiling and entertained - that is for sure!

And yes, the truck is there and waiting. It just keeps giving me those sad puppy dog eyes saying "pleeeease come work on me!". I feel like I;m going through withdrawals not being able to fab much of anything anymore.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 PM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Totally off topic, but a co-worker of mine has a baby girl that is almost a year old. He told me the first real word that she said. It wasn't "mama" or "dada." It was "ammonia." He said she kept saying it over and over: "Ammonia! Ammonia!" LOL, maybe she'll grow up to be a chemist!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That's the biggest part of why my truck as taken so long to get finished... Since I started the truck, we had our second child and the third is on the way. Oh well, it'll get finished up some day and I wouldn't trade the family for anything in the world. (Well not most days anyway...)

Old 10-16-2014, 10:51 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Agreed. Love the fam, but I also wish I could get a bit of time in to work on this thing as I really would like to start driving it at some point!

And on that note - here's a couple pics of "progress" if you could call it that.

As I said previously the front mount on these things looks pretty easy. The rear (arm with motor) is where it gets tight. In fact I had forgotten that I figured out the only spot this could go when I looked at this 8 months ago & I came up with the exact same spot as the only option when I looked at this again the other day, so that says to me that this may be the one & only spot.

I had mentioned previously about adding a bracket or something on the bottom flange of the cab as the holes for the mounting brackets on these arms get pretty close to the edge. I had a couple pieces of 4" wide, 16 ga. stainless here left over from my fuel tank straps & it dawned on me one day that this would be a good fit for what I wanted. Therefore I got to cutting & punching holes & came up with what you see below. I wanted holes on the vertical surface of the flange on the cab as well for a bit of extra strength.

Here's how the brackets fit on the truck

This rear bracket is so far back that one bolt is beyond the end of that 90* flange on the bottom of the cab. This does look like one of the areas where the 2 cabs were joined to make a crew cab, so this may vary from truck to truck as these were all kind of "custom" jobs.

Also, a note on the above - where I have this arm/bracket mounted makes it so that it attaches to the step portion at the VERY end of the step. In fact I wanted my step a little bit (an inch or less) more forward, but it will have to be shoved back a bit due to the arm fitment.

Here's another shot showing where the motor gets into the body. There is a bent flange off the bottom of the step spot in the back seat area that may get bent a little for clearance. Not positive if it will need it yet or not.

And here's one more shot from the side of the truck showing where that rear arm will sit.

In about 3-6 months, when I find another 5 minutes to mess with this, I'll be drilling the cab & bolting all this up so as to test them out & mock up the exhaust with the passenger side one in the up position. More pics whenever I get to that.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 PM
93calypsohatch
Freshman User
Amp research electric steps.

Seems like a good deal for anyone local

Old 10-20-2014, 02:50 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
smokin deal! Wish I woulda gotten mine for that!

Passing that add onto a buddy who lives out that way!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Been a while again, so how about an update...

I've finally freed up from other work & squeezed a couple lunch break wrench sessions over the last couple days! The good news is the mounts are in and I am amble to start mocking up my exhaust, which was the point of me fitting these steps now vs. later.

A couple notes & a couple pics.

The motor hitting the body issue I had on the driver side is not there on the passenger side as the motor mounts off to the side of the swing arm, so when flipped to the passenger side the motor is behind that step in the floor that the motor contacts on the driver side. Due to this I slid the mount forward a bit on the pass side so my stainless bracket can have all 4 bolts going through the cab.

Here's a pic of how the steps should sit in the up position. To the far right in the pic is my 4" exhaust pipe. I wanted to make sure I'd have room to run that between these swingers (when in this closed/up position) and the frame. Note this would have been a lot tighter of a squeeze on a non highboy frame!

And here's one from the back side. You can see my stainless bracket semi well here.
Note this is the rear mount & therefore should have a motor on it, but I am using both of the free swinging mounts on this side at this time so I can swing the step up and down for pics and to test clearance as I run my exhaust

Last, here is a pic with the step down. I slid the step forward on the truck a bit more to get it positioned right after I took this pic. Something to note is getting the step itself mounted onto these arms/swingers can take a little effort. Everything is machined to be a semi tight fit and therefore solidly lock together, and this made it take a little finessing to get the steps on.

Sorry for the crappy pic here. I've got about 12" between my wall & the body of the truck. Makes for a tight squeeze in and out to work on this thing. Part of why it takes me so long to make any progress. Man I miss my shop sometimes

Next up I need to fab up the secondary support brackets/tabs that connect these swingers/arms to a second area on the cab. Front looks easy & I have the templates already done pretty much. Rear might be a little trickier. Not sure if I will get to this right away or if I'll mess with the exhaust 1st. We'll see.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:18 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Very nice. I need to make some rock slider / steps for my truck as well. Kind of a bear getting in with the 2" lift on 35"s.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:51 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
That's why I like these steps - they hang pretty low for the wife & kid to use, but tuck up & away so out of sight when not in use.

I don't really like the looks of steps, but was thinking I was going to make a rock slider/tube type step if I didn't do these.. While definitely not a true rock slider, these AMPs will take a little abuse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AMP Research "powerstep" power running boards on a dentside?