Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Freshman User

joshf is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.0 question

hi, I'm new to the forum, and thought id start with a project i've been thinking about for years now. I'm looking at buy a new to me 6.0 diesel and i've heard they can be temperamental when it comes to modifications, and what i want to do is put a dual fuel vegetable oil conversion to compliment the stock diesel system on the truck. what i would like to know is should i look to the 7.3 for what i want to do? i've done my research, and it seems the this conversion burns cleaner than diesel (when it is actually burning the vegetable oil) which is great as emissions are tested where i live. thanks in advanced for any advice, and please, i am only looking for structural advice form knowledge and experience, i am not looking for 'the 6.0 sucks *****, don't do it' comments, as i have read in a couple threads so far. thanks in advanced again.

p.s. if you are wondering i am looking at getting the needed components from greasecar.com
Old 01-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Posting Guru

9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.
I dont think you are going to get 6.0's sucks ***** here.lol. but I think your 7.3 choice would be better for what you want to do with it. I have not heard of anyone personally doing that with a 6.0. The 6.0 injectors can be temperamental.

2006 F350 Harley Davidson, Atlas 40 from Ed 4" lift belstein shox
Arp studs, sinister coolant filter, bullet proof egr cooler, 4" turbo back exhaust straight pipe, ccv reroute, sct ts/ tunes gearhead, 10 vein turbo, updated dummy plugs/standpipes, stc fitting, blue spring 2005 King Ranch,2004 Excursion
Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Posting Guru

mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a very good reputation on FTE.
Problem being the 7.3 uses the same HEUI injectors and High pressure oil pump system. It's not really the choice for running waste veggie oil, but if the plan is biodiesel, then that is a different thing and either is suitable. The big issue with biodiesel is that it's subject to waxing up at colder temperatures, and it's quality must be be very good to run in either 6.0 or 7.3. Any water in your fuel causes big problems with injectors. So, if in a warm climate and proper water filtration is added and you are using biofuel not WVO or waste veggie oil, then convert away. If using WVO, it is truly more complicated, involved a heated tank, even more filtering to prevent water and other contaminants an you need to be able to start on diesel and convert over to the WVO in most applications. CI am in too cold a climate for either option, most biodiesel we can get is 5% in summer. Otherwise, I would love to do something like this, I pay a lot for diesel up here these days.
27 ' Jayco Jayflight TT
(old Truck, sold at 132,000 Km, 2000 F350 S/C 5.4/4 sp Auto XLT 4.10s )
Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Freshman User

ok, so it sounds like the only concern would be with the injectors, I'm going to ask what i think is the obvious question and ask if there is a suitable injector replacement i could use in this setup? or is the engine too temperamental to go changing things like that without say, changing head gaskets and bolts? should i consider an older model, possibly a late 90's with the older idi engines?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Posting Guru

jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf View Post
ok, so it sounds like the only concern would be with the injectors, I'm going to ask what i think is the obvious question and ask if there is a suitable injector replacement i could use in this setup? or is the engine too temperamental to go changing things like that without say, changing head gaskets and bolts? should i consider an older model, possibly a late 90's with the older idi engines?
I'm guessing if you try this on a 6.0, you will wind up very unhappy. Probably better off with an IDI 7.3 or a 12 V Cummins.
1977 F-150 4" lift 35/12.50-15 6 year project almost complete
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Posting Guru

Unrealo4 has a very good reputation on FTE.Unrealo4 has a very good reputation on FTE.Unrealo4 has a very good reputation on FTE.Unrealo4 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I watch shipping wars. And one of the teams had a WVO setup running in a newer chevy truck. Im not sure what it was but it was at least a 08+. But they ran a load across the country useing only WVO. They had a big conversion tank in the bed. Pretty cool actually, but im sure that trucks injectors were as finicky as the 6.0s.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 AM
Elder User

Mr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to behold
If I was you, looking for a full time veggie truck, I'd pick up a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI. They don't seem to be as picky. My 1984 6.9l will burn just about anything (ok, not really ANYTHING), and it's way more forgiving if you get bad fuel.

2005 Ex. 6l w/'04 sticker on valve cover, FICM by Ed. Thanks USCG_PA for the CAC pipe!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Freshman User

awesome, thanks for the help guys. now i have a new question, is it possible to take the drive train out of a 97 7.3 super duty, and pop it into a 98 f 150 (5.0 gas)? i know the suspension will have to be stiffened up(maybe use components from the super duty), but as far as mounting the engine and transmission, if i have the complete truck for parts(super duty), or am i getting myself into too much of a frankenstein money hole situation? i know anything is possible with enough cash, but i don't want to spend a small fortune on a truck i could buy cheaper, and already made. I'm asking because i found a decent super duty in the local classifieds, and am trading the f150 for some work I'm doing for a friend of mine.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:37 PM