Need OEM Nav Radio Info / Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:35 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Need OEM Nav Radio Info / Guidance

Trying to upgrade my truck by adding the OEM nav radio. I have found one on ebay which is listed as part # QX8400UA, with hard-drive based GPS nav, sirius, etc.

The big question, is will it work? My truck is a 2012 XLT. I believe the plugs are all the same. Any idea of the build date? Is the backlighting on this model roughly the same? (Mine is blue-ish green). I do not have Sync, so no expectation of that working. Basically, I want the radio / CD / Nav system to work. Right now I do have a sirius subscription based on a portable unit, so it would be nice to get the Sirius transferred over. Is this possible? Right now I have a Sirius antenna installed on the roof for my portable dash unit, will this antenna work for the nav and / or built-in sirius?

Any help is appreciated here. The unit is used with no description of what it came out of; all the stickers with model / serial are visible though. If it will work, I want it.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Anybody have info on this?

bump.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
I asked a moderator to move your post down to the proper forum - AUDIO/VIDEO

Old 01-16-2014, 01:00 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Fair enough - didn't see that forum.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2014, 01:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Moved to Audio forum

Old 01-18-2014, 02:14 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Ummm, guess no one here knows either....at least you get a bump to today.

I know you can transfer the Sirus/XM over to your new radio.... and if the back of the new radio has an Sirus type connector, your old antenna should work also. As the radio and truck are only one MY apart you shouldn't have a problem with the swap.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
It's not as easy as you might think. Take a look at this thread from a different forum and it'll give you an idea of what you're getting into. Factory OEM Navigation install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Old 01-20-2014, 06:05 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Thanks for the info. You have to understand I have an XLT truck - no sync system whatsoever. Therefore, I am just looking for the basic radio / CD / nav function. Sirius would also be nice, as I am using a portable now. I realize I may need to buy a splitter for the nav / sirius / FM antenna(s). The current radio has no separate amp; I have no subwoofer. Maybe that external amp drives the subwoofer? I am sure the standard nav head unit has an internal amp (note fan on the back) and will drive my speakers just fine (I have replaced the factory lousy speakers with some more efficient and better sounding Kickers with dynamat.

I think I might be able to add 'Sync basic' by buying the short harness from the back of the radio over to the headphone jack plug on the dash? Basically it keeps that an adds a USB port. Probably a cheap upgrade.

Eventually, I might replace the steering wheel with a new wheel / clock spring that supports the Sync controls on the right hand side of the wheel.

As an aside, do you have a Lariat truck? I just replaced my manual climate control with the factory dual zone, and noticed the outside temp display on the climate control head does not always match that displayed in the message center. Does yours do that? My two displays are sometimes off by one or two degrees.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:47 PM
rdinmv
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
you are probably better off getting an aftermarket pioneer,kenwood,alpine nav radio you can do that for around 600-800, if you want to add factory to your truck it will cost much more than that if it never had it. I just went thru this, my 2009 had it and sync previous owner installed better head unit and stuck in a stock radio upon trade in, The dealer sent me a nav radio but came from an edge, I still had to buy a lockpick to get the rear cam to work, all the aftermarket units do what you want and more as you can add cameras, rear dvd monitors etc......I wanted the sync, "jukebox" Sirius/xm nav, camera that came in my truck and it was ready besides head unit, except for the jukebox and sync the aftermarket units do more and sound better.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:52 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I agree, you are right...but I like the "look" of the stock unit. If costs are too high I will pass. Still researching.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM
troverman
Hotshot
So I was able to acquire one of these stock units quite inexpensively. Will post how the functionality is after install. The back of the new radio appears to have 3 antenna inputs, unless one is video for an optional rearview camera? The inputs are not labeled, one is white, one is yellow, one is red. Anyone know which one is for what?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
71_340
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Trying to upgrade my truck by adding the OEM nav radio. I have found one on ebay which is listed as part # QX8400UA, with hard-drive based GPS nav, sirius, etc.

The big question, is will it work? My truck is a 2012 XLT........
I just done it on my truck (2012 XLT). It is easy Plug & Play if you buy the right stuff. I bought the head unit on eBay, you'll need a Brick 5 Kit, the radio needs to be programmed to your VIN, and a Metra double Din bezel.

Cost me around &1200.00.

Here is all the info you need: OEM Auto Parts Co.

Their support is great as I had a bunch of questions.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Metra Double Din Bezel? Once you pull off the surround, the radio just has four bolts which hold it in place. The size opening is double DIN already. I do not have the brick. However, I have already purchased the GPS antenna puck for the roof, plus the splitter and the wiring which comes down the A-pillar. I think you only need programming if you are trying to make Sync and the steering wheel buttons work. I know now which wires go to which antenna ports. But I have one last question: is the separate amplifier required for sound? Being an XLT, my truck doesn't have the so-called 'premium' sound, no sub, and no current separate amp. I'm assuming the standard nav radio can power the standard speakers.

Did you drill the roof and have the puck antenna installed? Or did you already have SiriusXM and just used the existing antenna? My GPS unit was supposed to arrive yesterday; hopefully gets here today and we'll see if it at least powers up and plays AM/FM/CD. Can't wait to transfer my Sirius from my portable to the factory unit. Unfortunately I will have to drill the roof and install the antenna as none currently exists. Did you truck already have the basic Sync?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 PM
71_340
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a 2012 XLT you do not have a double DIN face plate (bezel). Your radio controls are built into the bezel and when you remove it then you still have the actual head unit box which is bolted to the dash with four screws.

My truck had OEM Sirius so I already have a satellite antenna on the roof; that antenna is also used for the OEM navigation unit by means of a splitter. The illumination on my radio is green since it came out of an Expedition. You do have to get the radio programmed if you want all the functions to work properly.

External amp (part of the Brick Kit 5) is required.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Maybe I wasn't clear, my truck is an F-250. The radio, or at least the bezel, is totally different from what goes into an F-150. I have already had my radio out to look at the rear connections...so just a bolt in.

As for programming, I guess we will see. The radio was supposed to arrive Monday but at least as of last night it is in the same state as me. I'll let you know how it goes. The Ford dealer amazingly got all my parts in yesterday (antenna, a-pillar harness, and splitter) so I have all that stuff already. Not looking forward to drilling a hole in the roof, but Hopefully everything will be up and running by this weekend.

Quick Reply: Need OEM Nav Radio Info / Guidance