1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mustang II IFS Sway Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:56 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang II IFS Sway Bar Question

Good Morning FTE Friends,

MY Mustang II IFS install is coming along...

I am reaching out to you because I find myself with a part in hand and I do not know if it is a MUST use part. If so, where and how to install?

Part #: M2SBB-U
Description: Mustang II Sway Bar Brackets

Progress...

Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,396 Posts
With any IFS, you really should run a sway bar. It is a part of the suspension design. I don't know which brackets you're talking about, but if they're the ones that mount the bar to the frame, then that's where they need to go.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:57 AM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Paul

A good morning to ya. I don't see a sway bar on the front end, did one come in the kit. They may have sent you the brackets and not the sway bar, check your invoice to see if your kit included the sway bar package. I would recommend using one, the handling will be evident. I see you got the motor mounts done, look solid. At this stage I figure your builder has it on his list to install the steering joints and column. Looks like he will have to pass thru that motor mount.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:18 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Don't see the end links either. Definitely use the proper (heaviest) sway bar, you'll hate the handling/ride otherwise. Whose IFS kit is it again?

Old 09-15-2015, 02:35 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Thank you 52Merc!

GerryMoe... Left you a voicemail earlier this morning... Something about paying a visit to the medics (routine) and stopping by if you're just hanging around.
I got the brackets AND the sway bar (just hadn't mounted it yet while researching this question).

Perhaps it was my poor wording, but I did get the sway bar and all that Jazz. Just that the aforementioned part number supplied leaves me at a loss... It'll fit the puzzle - eventually...

AxRacer, the entire shebang is from Classic Performance Products (better know as CPP) Quality stuff if you ask me...

I should have an updated picture this afternoon...

Currently working on Installing the Steering Column

Ordered Master cyl brake with booster for under cab from them as well.

Stay tuned...
Paul

Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Are there instructions on how to mount the sway bar? Is pretty basic AFA frame mounting, but be sure to reinforce the frame flange especially if not boxed in the area with at least an oversized doubler. The sway bar can put a very heavy torque load on the frame. I once collapsed/ripped off the OEM swaybar mounts on my 99 Miata autocrossing it, and it was built for that. Mazda racing sells reinforced replacement mounts for it now.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:13 PM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Thanks Ax,
Got the Sway Bar on. Haven't seen the need for the part number mentioned in the original post yet!
Anyway, a little **** follows...

Driver side top

Driver rear side sway

Driver front side sway

Steering shaft clearing engine mount bracket (at the moment)

Old 09-15-2015, 06:31 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Interesting swaybar arrangement no frame attachment. I'd like to see how the ends attach to the control arms.
Those are awfully small attaching bolts on the pillow blocks tho?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The bracket you mention (M25BB-U) is a bolt on sway bar mount. The sway bar heim joint would attach to it, and that bracket would attach to your lower control arm. If your lower control arm has a welded on attachment (#CPSBL-M2K) for the heim joint then the part you mentioned is extra.

That's coming along nice. That sway bar looks exactly the same as the TCI variation.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:51 PM
Last chance 53
Tuned
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
You my know this, but make sure the aluminum collar is up against the sway bar bushing. it keeps the bar centered and the bushing in the mounting block.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:57 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Thank you LastChance.

Nicholas, I was wondering about this! You see, those Heim Joints are not straight up & down as possible (as the instructions state). Has anyone thought of or needed to have the pillow blocks shaved in order to obtain the nearly straight up & down position the literature calls for? Another stupid question... Does the engine need to be in before it all lines up?

Ax, what do you think of shaving the pillow blocks about 3/8" in order to bring the sway bar forward to reach nearly straight up & down? Stupid idea?

New Master Brake Cyl & Booster showed up yesterday but didn't have time to work on it and today there's a baby doctor appointment and it doesn't look like I may have time to accomplish this before Sebastian's arrival (scheduled for the 23rd).

Paul

Old 09-17-2015, 08:44 AM
Last chance 53
Tuned
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Hi , You should not have to mill mounting blocks down. When a mustang II is set up correct the lower control arms should be level with the ground, So if you remove the shocks and push the control arm to level that will be like having the weight on front end. That will change the angle of the sway bar. Do that and check angle of hiems them.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I still don't know what the connection method is since the sway bar is mounted lower than most and appears in photos it connects to control arm below the arm?. I've never seen a swaybar that the end is lower than control arm, are you sure you have it in the right place? I would expect the end of the sway bar to be above the lower control arm. I wouldn't trim anything until the weight is on the suspension, since I don't know how the geometry will change. What literature are you referring to, directions with unit? What bracket are you referring to in blue? Is there any drawings or photos in the instructions as to how the sway bar attaches to control arm?

Old 09-17-2015, 09:47 AM
c91x
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edit:

Never seen a swaybar mount from the bottom like that

Old 09-17-2015, 11:37 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by c91x
Edit:

Never seen a swaybar mount from the bottom like that
Nope never had before. I wouldn't want it like that, likely near/below scrub line where it could be easily damaged. Can you find any OEM installs like that? What was wrong with moving the mounts up to put it above the control arm? I wonder how much and what kind of proof of concept testing was done on that setup with bar in that location, the small diameter bolts and thin bushings in those pillow blocks?
"Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be..."

Quick Reply: Mustang II IFS Sway Bar Question