Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Used Banks kit-value??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used Banks kit-value??

I have a guy offering me a used Banks turbo kit he got with a 93 idi truck he bought. He's not planning on running a turbo so he offered it to me for $350. All he knows is it came off a truck with 140K miles on it that had the tranny let go. I'm waiting for him to send some parts numbers. I have an 89 F250 that I wouldn't mind putting a turbo on if I can do it on a budget. He's not familiar with turbo kits but thinks only the intake tubes are missing.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If its complete buy it. But do some research so you know what your getting.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
I believe it's an older kit so I'm hoping for some member feedback on whether it will work on my 89 7.3/ZF. The sticker on the air box says "Turbochager system for Ford 6.9/7.3 Diesel" model 6.9f. I've never installed a turbo kit so can anyone help me out with what should be in the kit? I can't find a pic to go by because it's an older kit.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Um... parts you need are:
1. cast iron piece that is around 2' long and connects to the right exhaust manifold, up to the input of the turbo(where the turbo mounts on).
2. Crossover pipe which connects the left exhaust manifold to the right one (this should be steel pipe, and could probably be fabricated by an exhaust shop if needed)
3. Turbo(of course)
4. Down-pipe, steel, goes from output of the turbo down under the truck. Anything beyond this is entirely optional, if you run straight-piped. You can have any piping down here fabricated up easily, too.
5. Aluminum intake cap piece -- it bolts over the intake hole on the intake manifold, and connects to the air-pressure side of your turbo with a short bit of hose.
6. Intake side: Should be a couple of rubber hose connectors, an aluminum 90 angle which also has a port for the CDR.
7. CDR-hose - a very well bent 1" hose that goes from the front of the engine back to the CDR. 2.5' long or so
8. CDR connector adapter -- 2" diameter, 1" wide adaptor which bolts to the front of the IP cover and allows you to hook up #7 to it.

At least, this is what mine has.

Edit: Check the turbo. If it has a little vacuum actuator bolted onto it, with a little hose going over to the pressure/intake side, then you've got a wastegated model. If not, you've got the non-wastegated model.
Wastegated model is better(builds more boost at a lower RPM), but either will work. And that price is pretty cheap, if it's basically intact.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
1. cast iron piece that is around 2' long and connects to the right exhaust manifold, up to the input of the turbo(where the turbo mounts on).
2. Crossover pipe which connects the left exhaust manifold to the right one (this should be steel pipe, and could probably be fabricated by an exhaust shop if needed)
3. Turbo(of course)
4. Down-pipe, steel, goes from output of the turbo down under the truck. Anything beyond this is entirely optional, if you run straight-piped. You can have any piping down here fabricated up easily, too.
5. Aluminum intake cap piece -- it bolts over the intake hole on the intake manifold, and connects to the air-pressure side of your turbo with a short bit of hose.
6. Intake side: Should be a couple of rubber hose connectors, an aluminum 90 angle which also has a port for the CDR.
7. CDR-hose - a very well bent 1" hose that goes from the front of the engine back to the CDR. 2.5' long or so
8. CDR connector adapter -- 2" diameter, 1" wide adaptor which bolts to the front of the IP cover and allows you to hook up #7 to it.

Thanks, Macrobb. Do you have the same kit?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Pheadrus
Thanks, Macrobb. Do you have the same kit?
I doubt it. I've got a wastegated one, craigslist find myself.
But, as far as I remember, the non-wastegated model was very similar. It's just the turbo that's different.
Pictures would help, and your pic links don't work for me.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
The first 5 pics are what he sent. The link pic was just of the top of the air box showing the model # and carb #'s. I sent him your list to confirm what's there and whether it's a wastegate turbo.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
Apparently it's around a 1985 vintage sidewinder system. Output is suppose to be 215 hp @ 3200 rpm, give or take a few and 460 ft lbs @ 2000 rpm. If it's the original turbo to the kit is shouldn't have a wastegate. Can any upgrades be done to make it usable? I'm not looking for max power so if it's a decent system especially for the price I'd probably grab it. The increase in mpg would be the biggest plus.

The lag from this system is supposedly much more noticeable than from the Hypermax systems.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Pheadrus
The first 5 pics are what he sent. The link pic was just of the top of the air box showing the model # and carb #'s. I sent him your list to confirm what's there and whether it's a wastegate turbo.
I can't see /any/ of the pics. They just don't work at all. It wants me to login to some MSFT website.

Here's mine, installed: http://imageshack.com/a/img823/9817/syf6.jpg
#5 is the black piece with 'sidewinder' on it. #6, check the input of the turbo there on the left.
This is a stock install, /except/ for a black plastic air duct that went around the air filter. Wouldn't fit with mine, because the only air filter I could get my hands on was slightly longer, and barely fits as-is with the AC compressor there.
Doesn't really hurt anything though, as far as I can tell.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
Old 01-16-2014, 04:28 AM
IDI guy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
3. Turbo(of course)

Edit: Check the turbo. If it has a little vacuum actuator bolted onto it, with a little hose going over to the pressure/intake side, then you've got a wastegated model. If not, you've got the non-wastegated model.
Wastegated model is better(builds more boost at a lower RPM), but either will work. And that price is pretty cheap, if it's basically intact.
Don't forget the braided oil feed hose w/ the oil pressure sensor special "T" and the pyro and boost gauges.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
the links you are posting are no good.
make an account with Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing and post the pictures there.
if it is pre 88 it is a non wastegated unit and nothing like the one macrobb posted.
either way, pick it up. for that price you can flip it if you decide not to use it.
the turbo alone is worth $350-$400.
there is very little turbo lag with these units, and it really wakes these engines up when used with a low restriction muffler, or no muffler.

i don't have any pictures of my unit off the truck. .

if the air box looks like this it is a non waste gated unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-7-3L-Banks-Turbo-Air-Filter-Box-/191035422701?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7a9937ed&vxp=mtr

Old 01-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
I have a photobucket account and have uploaded pics here before but I can't seem to get them to upload. The weird thing is when I look at the thread it shows the pics. He e-mailed them from his phone. I'll try one more time.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
phone loaded pictures do not work here
you see the pictures because they are in your MSN site. when we try to look at them we get a msn outlook sign in page.

Quick Reply: Used Banks kit-value??