Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

For those concerned about the aluminum bodies:

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I wonder what impact "longer life" vehicles will have on future sales of new vehicles.

In the wake of "cash for clunkers" used vehicle prices went up, and so did demand for new vehicles.

Making vehicles with aluminum should extend there useful life which would reduce potential sales in the future.

Will all the advanced electronics live as long as these new vehicles.

Hum

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000 7.3psdEx
I thought all the other class eight trucks were composite metals and then the pete 359, 379, and 389's here the only ones that were mostly aluminum? But i could be wrong?
The 9000 series INT. has aluminum cab/sleeper and either a fiberglass or composite hood depending on the year and how it was spec'd. Older FL's are the same. There are some exceptions for each brand, some of the lighter duty business class trucks, like you see pulling beverage trailers or turned into garbage trucks, etc.. have steel cabs.

The newer International Prostar/LoneStar uses a steel cab. I'm not sure about Freightliners new models like the Cascadia or the Coronado.

ETA.. one of my friends works in the body shop at a Ford dealership and he told me that they need to go to school to learn how to work on the new F150's and they have to buy some special welders to work on the aluminum. I guess the equipment is pretty pricey.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:05 AM
jeepnford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
I wonder what impact "longer life" vehicles will have on future sales of new vehicles.

In the wake of "cash for clunkers" used vehicle prices went up, and so did demand for new vehicles.

Making vehicles with aluminum should extend there useful life which would reduce potential sales in the future.

Will all the advanced electronics live as long as these new vehicles.

Hum

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup
I wouldn't think it would make much difference in new truck sales, unless the economy completely tanks. Most people don't keep vehicles until they fall apart. They get a 5 or 6 year loan and when that's done they start over. Sometimes sooner. Then there's the group who only buy pre-owned for one reason or another waiting to buy the used ones.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:49 PM
jmhatchett
Senior User
In regards to aluminum, I raise rodeo bulls and haul them all across the country. The trailer of choice?? all aluminum with steel hitch and steel axles, these trailers weigh in at over 30K when loaded with animals and feed. They have held up beautifully, as far as denting them, these trailers are definitely a thicker sttronger make than will be the truck body, frames though will be very strong IMO (at least i certainly hope to see it happen). The walls of the trailers see steel gates slung into them daily and bulls running into them and they still look new. I love aluminum and am very anxious to see the outcome and hopefully the future of trucks.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Y'all boys go back and read my post. Am I the only one here with a 60 year old aluminum boat, banged against rocks, drug and run up on sandy beaches, salt water, trailered all over country, and still good as new, no leaks. I'll take aluminum, please.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:49 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
I'm more concerned about using an aluminum body truck as a daily driver on the salt encrusted roads here in Wisconsin winters. Calcium chloride as well. Steel rusts, yes, but aluminum has it's own brand of corrosion and pitting. Is one worse than the other?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. Steel is worse. I think.

Again, hasn't UPS used aluminum bodies for years? I've heard that they keep their trucks and just replace engines as needed.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:46 PM
jeepnford
Senior User
The 05 and up Mustangs have an aluminum hood. I have an 07 and I can't tell any difference between it and steel except before I put struts on it you could tell it was lighter when lifting. The one problem with them is apparently they were built in the same factory with steel body parts and iron dust settled on some of them and you guessed it, rust at the seams.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by GuyGene
Again, hasn't UPS used aluminum bodies for years?
Yes sir. And they get put through hell!! Weve got some on the lot that are 70s-80s era. Do they dent? When you rub up against a tree hard enough, yes

Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah Tim posted a great link to illustrate the strength of the aluminum that is used for the USPS. I posted in another thread that in the 6.5 years I worked on F16's (whose airframe comprises of milspec grade aluminum) that those things stood up to harsh combat conditions/manuvering and the elements and took it all like a champ. Thats OLD compound tech aluminum (aircraft in service since the 80's-90's) and if that stands up soo great just think about the advances in metallurgy between then and now and the compound mix they will use for the 2015.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
For those concerned about the aluminum bodies and other features this article may help.

All-New Ford F-150 Redefines Full-Size Trucks as the Toughest, Smartest, Most Capable F-150 Ever | PowerNation

Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Both the Freightshakers I drove at one company, as well as the Kenworths I drove at another had aluminum cabs. Of course it can hold up well over time, but I think corrosion protection is mostly a function of the coatings used. I can say that if Ford uses the same kind of coatings that they use in a heavy truck nobody will be disappointed. That stuff is TOUGH.

But if they use a coating similar to what's used now I can see corrosion happening. I would be surprised if they didn't borrow from the heavy duty coatings that are in use everywhere else.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 AM
littlebigtruck2014
New User
Aluminum has so many applications in the real world and almost everywhere it proved to be superior that other materials. Repairs might be more expensive, time will tell, but also there are many benefits.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 PM
819jack
Junior User
VW has been using aluminium bodie parts for years now and we dont hear of many issues.They are one of the most expensive to insure in there class because cost for parts. I understand its a German product but its not only the parts that is the concern also the quality and miticulous attention to prevent contamination when working on these vehicles.
This will mean the first couple years for the service shops there will be a learning curve to go through. For me as long as dont install 5 or more air bags at 5000$ each to replace that should also help keep insurance lower .

Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
USPS

Have you talked to your postal driver I did. He showed me multiple cracks and said the sliding door fell out do to fatigue . I don't know if it is military aluminum.

Quick Reply: For those concerned about the aluminum bodies: