Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How to swap cabs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to swap cabs?

I posted this in the OBS forum, but thought I'd stick it here too, as this is my home and the process has to be the same.
I have 2 OBS 7.3 trucks that I'm getting ready to turn into 1. Ones a mason dump plow truck with all body work rusted out, with a decent engine and tran, plow, and hydraulic lift setup. The cab, fenders and bed need to go, and frame rails need blasting and paint. The other truck is SRW with very little rust, but the engine leaks from every o ring there is, trans is blown. My plan has been to put engine, trans, dump and plow on non rusty truck, since I've done engine and trans on these kind of trucks 3x each. However, the PO of the SRW, non rusty truck, who's a friend of mine, can't find the title and doesn't want to bother getting a new one. So now I'm looking at swapping body work over instead of mechanical parts. How complicated is this? Does dash have to be removed? Heater core? Also, I have a shop, plenty of tools, but no lift. How realistic is it to try and lift a cab off without a hoist? I do have access to 2 tractors with buckets, but not even sure how Id lift them. Any insight is appreciated. I'd like to start this project tomorrow!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The vin is on the cab, so that is the pickup as far as titling is concerned. You're going to need your friend's title either way.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
The vin is on the cab, so that is the pickup as far as titling is concerned. You're going to need your friend's title either way.
The vin is in a few spots..but yeah, if he uses his buddies cab, he'll need the title for that cab.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
I was told if I swap cabs, I go to DMV and they will put the trucks (not cabs) original VIN on a sticker in the door and that way my registration will stay the same. I just got off the phone with my uncle, who is a DMV inspector here in CT, and apparently I can just have my friend sign a lost title firm, pay an extra $25 an they'll send a new title to me. I'm still interested in cab removal though if anyone has done it. I'm gonna switch engine and trans now, (back to original plan) but Im curious about what's involved? Maybe I should ask over in the 6.0 forum, since I've heard they have to do this every time they pull an engine...

Old 01-14-2014, 04:44 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did it years ago on a 79 F350 with a come along and a big tree.....

Redneck, I know....It worked!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:46 PM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Jeb, I just started pulling the seats today to get a similar project started. I have an old parts truck that has rusted away but the engine is STRONG and the interior is good and I want to keep as many parts & accessories as well as the motor, as possible. I found a write up on doing it with the 6.0 but not the 7.3. I'll be watching this thread and will let you know if I get to it and am successful in the meantime. I have a backhoe so thought pulling the cab would be just as easy as pulling the engine.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeb, I helped do a cab swap on a Chevy many years ago. If I recall, we kept jacking it up and adding cribbing until it was high enough to clear the engine, then slid 4x4s under it and blocked those up and rolled the chassis out from under. I remember thinking what we were doing was a little dicey, lol.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:36 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Mowing Man
Maybe I should ask over in the 6.0 forum, since I've heard they have to do this every time they pull an engine...
Is that so?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Chris, I've always wondered if that was true. I was having something done to my 7.3 block once at a local diesel shop. They had a 6.0 with the cab lifted off the frame, about 10' into the air. I asked about it, and they said that was the only way to pull an engine on a 6.0 was to pull a cab. Was that true, or was he spinning me a yarn? I've always wondered....

Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Chris, I've always wondered if that was true. I was having something done to my 7.3 block once at a local diesel shop. They had a 6.0 with the cab lifted off the frame, about 10' into the air. I asked about it, and they said that was the only way to pull an engine on a 6.0 was to pull a cab. Was that true, or was he spinning me a yarn? I've always wondered....
He is full of crap. There is no repair that it is necessary remove the cab on a 6.0. Head studs can also be done cab on.

Sent from my mind thanks to the Internet and an app.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Maybe I should ask over in the 6.0 forum, since I've heard they have to do this every time they pull an engine...
Maybe your thinking of the 6.4L crowd. I've heard you cant even see the heads when you pop the hood.

Its pretty common on the Duramax's to pull the cab just to do injectors. According to a local performance shop there is less pieces to remove and more room when you pull the cab...

Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Ok, so just to clarify in my own mind; if a 6.0 had a rotten oil pan, the engine could be pulled with the cab on just like any other truck? I know it's always tight, and even on my 7.3 manual trans, I had to pull the tranny to get enough room due to the input shaft. Thank you for clearing that up. I know at some point my trusty 7.3's will rot out and I will have to move on to another vintage of Ford. Hopefully I have another 4-5 years, but that click is ticking.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Ok, so just to clarify in my own mind; if a 6.0 had a rotten oil pan, the engine could be pulled with the cab on just like any other truck? I know it's always tight, and even on my 7.3 manual trans, I had to pull the tranny to get enough room due to the input shaft. Thank you for clearing that up. I know at some point my trusty 7.3's will rot out and I will have to move on to another vintage of Ford. Hopefully I have another 4-5 years, but that click is ticking.
You don't have to pull the engine to replace the oil pan on a 6.0. You will have to lift the engine up some to get the pan off but it is not like a 7.3.

But yes, the engine can be pulled just like any other truck. The cab does NOT need to come off for anything. Some techs choose to remove the cab because it is faster for them while others don't.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
You don't have to pull the engine to replace the oil pan on a 6.0. You will have to lift the engine up some to get the pan off but it is not like a 7.3.

But yes, the engine can be pulled just like any other truck. The cab does NOT need to come off for anything. Some techs choose to remove the cab because it is faster for them while others don't.
Do the 6.0 guys make fun of the 7.3 guys for having to pull the engine just to change their silly oil pan?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by clux
Do the 6.0 guys make fun of the 7.3 guys for having to pull the engine just to change their silly oil pan?
Amongst other things.

Quick Reply: How to swap cabs?