1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

helps to align door frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM
capelo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question helps to align door frame

Hello, I need some advice to align the driver's door in the frame on the top right there are 8 milimetrs more than the left, I put pictures:

Old 01-13-2014, 03:18 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any shims in the hinges? It looks liken the picture your rear gap is pretty tight and that you have plenty of gap space at the front. Look alike you may be able to shim the bottom hinge a little to bring up that rear gap. But is your rear gap is that tight all the way around you may run into fitment issues.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:43 PM
capelo
Elder User
I have no wedge installed, I removed the hinge down to try to align the top edge but no ......... seems as if the car were twisted, would have to lower the rear but not as do not damage anything .....

Old 01-13-2014, 05:48 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
are you using new hinges? looks like the door is sagging. I had a similar problem, bought new hinges and that corrected the problem. Or could be the top door hinge is a little out of adjustment.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
I wouldn't bother adjusting door gaps until you have the cab back on the frame and bolted down .

Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Your gaps look pretty good around the rest of the door. Moving the door straight up(if you can) will make it less noticeable, The only other option is to cut-align-weld the door opening to fit the door. Adjusting the rear of the door up will tighten the gap at the bottom too much.
These trucks were built for utility, not fit and finish. Very few have doors that fit properly.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
I agree with Seaves 46. The cab might not be sitting too level or square right now . Wait till you have it on the frame to start adjusting it.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:15 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
What nobody mentioned is that your doors have had the corners rounded so I say you may have to take down a little of the front corner and weld build up the rear corner to make it fit the way you want. That is what I would do.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
What nobody mentioned is that your doors have had the corners rounded so I say you may have to take down a little of the front corner and weld build up the rear corner to make it fit the way you want. That is what I would do.
I agree, just make the adjustments to both upper corners and start prepping for paint. The rest of your Gaps look too good to try to shim it up.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:05 PM
capelo
Elder User
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
thank you very much for the comments, the hinges are original, the cabin is fairly well established, I would like to make adjustments before mounting in place since it was painted. it may be that when you make the repair I have been so, but not because he changed floors, roof, and some corner, but I only have the problem at that point.
truckeemtnfords, I can illustrate what I proposed? thanks for the interest

Old 01-14-2014, 05:56 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
When I did my panel I had uneven and wide gaps as well. I adjusted the doors as best as I could and welded 1/8" x 3/8' flat bar to the edge of the door then ground down to make the gaps even. You'd never notice it on top of your door. The rest of your gaps look pretty good.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Lots of good advice here...but the problem is not with the door, it is with the cab itself. These trucks were built to be working vehicles and little extra attention was paid to "fit and finish". That roof is installed too high in the back so you will be limited in how you can fix it and still make it look right.

In your case...take a look at the flow of the body line on the vertical door jamb opening just below the roof seam, this is the point at which the drip rail ends. See how the curve of the body flows naturally along the curve of the door? Now look at the door opening at the roof/drip rail...see how the curve does not match? This is the gap that needs to be filled. 56panelford has a good recommendation and one that I have personally used on many occasions...however, in your case this technique would make the door look off balance. I would recommend that you get all the other gaps of the door aligned and then fill the opening under the drip rail as needed to make the upper gap uniform around the door. You may need to adjust the width of the drip rail to keep the rail size uniform from front to rear but that is far less work than lifting roof panel and installing it in the proper position relative to the door jamb. Good luck...

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM
capelo
Elder User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
When I did my panel I had uneven and wide gaps as well. I adjusted the doors as best as I could and welded 1/8" x 3/8' flat bar to the edge of the door then ground down to make the gaps even. You'd never notice it on top of your door. The rest of your gaps look pretty good.
this seems like a good option, I wonder if you have any picture of the process

Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM
capelo
Elder User
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Lots of good advice here...but the problem is not with the door, it is with the cab itself. These trucks were built to be working vehicles and little extra attention was paid to "fit and finish". That roof is installed too high in the back so you will be limited in how you can fix it and still make it look right.

In your case...take a look at the flow of the body line on the vertical door jamb opening just below the roof seam, this is the point at which the drip rail ends. See how the curve of the body flows naturally along the curve of the door? Now look at the door opening at the roof/drip rail...see how the curve does not match? This is the gap that needs to be filled. 56panelford has a good recommendation and one that I have personally used on many occasions...however, in your case this technique would make the door look off balance. I would recommend that you get all the other gaps of the door aligned and then fill the opening under the drip rail as needed to make the upper gap uniform around the door. You may need to adjust the width of the drip rail to keep the rail size uniform from front to rear but that is far less work than lifting roof panel and installing it in the proper position relative to the door jamb. Good luck...
that image is misaligned, but this not really much in this new image will be better appreciated, the proposed option seems more complicated ....

Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
In the old days when these vehicles were built they used a long 4x4 stuck through the opposite door opening to lever up the door bending the A pillar. I have the opposite problem on my '50 F2 due to restructuring at the bottom of the right A pillar. I'm going to have to move the lower hinge forward to make it fit. It requires too much movement for shims.

Quick Reply: helps to align door frame