1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 6.0 smoking dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Alexquade
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 6.0 smoking dilemma

I have a 2003 f250 6.0. 1516xx miles. I picked it up from a dealer on dec 5 and went into the shop on the 10th r so for a rear main leak. Stayed for over a week and finally got it back. Someone told me to cut the muffler off bc of back pressure issues so I did and gutted the cat also. Well I've been randomly getting a lil light colored smoke at wot. Only at night though. Can just see it in the headlights behind me. Not all the time and doesn't happen during daylight. At least can't notice it during the day. Started it yesterday first start of the day after sitting overnight and nothing. Started it a while later and same thing. Nothing. Started it this morning and had a puff of white smoke. It rained last night so I'm hoping it's moisture from the rain. As I've noticed its not losing coolant but I'm not to sure. It doesn't appear to be. Not low. It's at the normal line. Oils normal. It's a hot shot truck so I finally put some good miles on it and it started this. Just out of warranty. Oil pump, egr, and egr cooler were replaced with the previous owner in 2011 at a shop. Have receipt to show it. But idk if that's it. I'm hoping its nothing major. -_- thanks guys!!!

First ford truck, and first diesel. So far I love it! Just a bump in the road!!!

Old 01-13-2014, 02:27 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I always hazed some light smoke at WOT with a functional EGR valve. Pull that and see if it's gunked up and clean it out if it needs it. They can go nasty surprisingly quickly, especially if you overfill the oil and suck a lot in from the CCV.

How cold was it when you started the truck? I'll puff some white smoke on cold starts occasionally, even when it's above freezing. If it clears up when you start driving and doesn't reappear when you'd idling after the truck is warmed up, it's normal. The glowplugs will run for up to two minutes after you start the truck, you can actually watch engine voltage and see when they kick off, and sometimes they aren't enough to entirely clean up a small amount of unburnt fuel.

If you're new to the 6.0L, try reading our thread about common issues:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...used-6-0l.html
It's titled "buying" a used truck, but it applies pretty well to one you already own.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Alexquade
New User
Sweeet!!!! Thanks!!! It doesnt smoke when driving unless i punched it. And then its not bad. Checked the coolant again after being parked and its where it was the last checked it. It wasnt cold. Maybe 70 degrees. And it just puffed one puff then was done. Ill read that thread and see about pulling the egr. Thanks man! Appreciate it!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Alexquade
New User
pulled my egr, according to a video i watched it is VERY clean. the inside of the cooler looked a lil damp. it wasn't at a BIG incline though. just the natural incline from the towing package. i looks like i've been losing coolant but i'm not very sure. it constantly fluctuates. trying to figure out how to upload pictures before my laptop dies. pups ate my charger.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Alexquade
New User

lets try that?....

Old 01-22-2014, 04:25 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
This should go to the 6.0 forum for comments.

I was about to say that the bit of smoke was normal. But then you posted the EGR valve photo and said you thought the coolant might be going down a tiny bit. Frankly that EGR valve looks TOO clean, like maybe it is being steam cleaned. And the pic is small, but the intake manifold looks to be moist.

I would get it checked out, because I suspect your EGR cooler is leaking again. Also, you listed the repairs the previous owner made, and the list did not include the oil cooler. If the oil cooler is plugged, it will burn up the EGR cooler.

At least get yourself a Scangage II and check your oil temp versus coolant temp. That will tell you if the oil cooler is indeed plugged. All that info can be found in the 6.0 tech folder.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Alexquade
New User
Oops! I meant the oil cooler. No idea why I put oil pump.... Don't know where I can take it as my 30 day/1000 mile warranty went out already. -_- I don't want to get my eyes gouged out. Can't afford it either way. Looks like as soon as one of my trucks are sold I'll be getting it fixed. Roughly ideas on prices? Average including labor?

Sorry for posting in the wrong area. New to the forum! =}

Old 01-22-2014, 05:04 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Alexquade
Oops! I meant the oil cooler. No idea why I put oil pump.... Don't where I can take it as my 30 day/1000 mile warranty went out already. -_- I don't want to get my eyes gouged out. Can't afford it either way. Looks like as soon as one of my trucks are sold I'll be getting it fixed. Roughly ideas on prices? Average including labor?

Sorry for posting in the wrong area. New to the forum! =}
No worries on posting here. It's not wrong, but you might get better informed replies in the 6.0 forum.

Let's not jump to conclusions and costs of repairs. I could be completely wrong, especially just looking at photos. Get it checked out. What's your location? If it happens to be So Calif, I know where to send you. Anywhere else, your local FTE chapter might have suggestions for reliable shops. I've given up on trusting Ford dealers with my 6.0.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Alexquade
New User
Far away from Cali. Haha. In south Louisiana. Thanks for your help!!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Alexquade
New User
How do I move it to another forum?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:16 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Alexquade
How do I move it to another forum?
Just PM one of the moderators and ask them to move it. The moderators are listed at the top of the forum page.

You can start another thread if you want.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Alexquade
New User
Sweet. I'll just ask. Don't like multiple threads. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Alexquade
New User
I've been thinking it's either injector stiction or my egr cooler. Just never noticed my coolant going down. I can turn the key off and on a few times before the first start of the day and it won't smoke. So I'm not sure. It runs FINE. Just let's out a small puff at some first start and WOT. I like the smoke at WOT though. Also, the back of my white truck at the muffler is turning black from the soot.... Hahaha

Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Try plugging the block heater in a few hours before you start it after its been sitting all night. You may have glow plugs or glow plug wiring going bad. I am jus assuming you have a block heater, if you need to find the plug it will be on the passenger side of the front bumper where the fog lamp would be, like I said if you have it.

I would start with some fresh fluids and filters especially if you aren't sure when they have been changed last.

Make sure you stick with Motor Craft/Racor oil filters only. If you buy the type that come with the cap they are shorter and have been known to cause engine issues with these trucks. May of us are using Rotella T6 5w40 full synthetic engine oil, only fill 14.5 quarts and keep the oil changes at 5k.

Replace both of the fuel filters, using only Motor Craft, change them every 10k, if you run Bio change them more frequently for the first few tanks.

Remember that this isn't a 7.3 where you can idle them and neglect them. The 6.0 needs maintenance, so frequent oil changes, premium fluids and filters and this truck will treat you well.

As for the smoke if you really want to rule out the EGR cooler, park it on an incline let it sit and see how much, if any moisture is in the intake under that EGR valve. the 03' were known to have the better EGR cooler, but that doesn't mean its not leaking.

Almost forgot remember to treat you fuel with diesel kleen, standyne, or I use the Motor Craft fuel treatment.

Hope that helps a little.

Welcome Aboard!!!

Sarge

Old 01-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Alexquade
New User
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Try plugging the block heater in a few hours before you start it after its been sitting all night. You may have glow plugs or glow plug wiring going bad. I am jus assuming you have a block heater, if you need to find the plug it will be on the passenger side of the front bumper where the fog lamp would be, like I said if you have it.

I would start with some fresh fluids and filters especially if you aren't sure when they have been changed last.

Make sure you stick with Motor Craft/Racor oil filters only. If you buy the type that come with the cap they are shorter and have been known to cause engine issues with these trucks. May of us are using Rotella T6 5w40 full synthetic engine oil, only fill 14.5 quarts and keep the oil changes at 5k.

Replace both of the fuel filters, using only Motor Craft, change them every 10k, if you run Bio change them more frequently for the first few tanks.

Remember that this isn't a 7.3 where you can idle them and neglect them. The 6.0 needs maintenance, so frequent oil changes, premium fluids and filters and this truck will treat you well.

As for the smoke if you really want to rule out the EGR cooler, park it on an incline let it sit and see how much, if any moisture is in the intake under that EGR valve. the 03' were known to have the better EGR cooler, but that doesn't mean its not leaking.

Almost forgot remember to treat you fuel with diesel kleen, standyne, or I use the Motor Craft fuel treatment.

Hope that helps a little.

Welcome Aboard!!!

Sarge
I use diesel kleen with the anti gel when this all started. Ima hafta bring it in to the dealership and have the oil change as its freeeeee! =} according to the window tag, its only almost 3k into the oil change. And block heater, checked. Dont have one. Itll start and not smoke if i let the glow plugs run full course. Ill turn it off and back on after the buzzing stops. Do that 3 times r so and no smoke at allllll! Thanks for the help! Love this forum so far!!! =}=}

Quick Reply: 2003 6.0 smoking dilemma