General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

what's the deal with Harley riders ???

Old 03-22-2002, 10:09 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been riding motorcycles (3-wheel, 4-wheel, dirt bike, street bike, road race) for about 20 years. I love all types of motorcycles. I ride a Honda (street bike)and am always amused by what I see from so many Harley riders. If I'm on my bike, AS A GENERAL RULE: those Harley guys who fit the stereotypical role of Harley rider, will not even acknowledge that another motorcycle (mine) is in the same world as they are. I might wave, nod, etc. and all too often - as Yukon Cornelius once said..." nuthin' ". On occasion a Harley guy will in fact smile and wave - I then know he is one, like me, who loves motorcycles, period. I have even seen Harley guys get "duped" by the Japanese Harley-want-to-be bikes. the Harley guy will start to wave and then, "oops, that ain't a real Harley. I can't be seen waving at a japenese bike".
Once me and a buddy were on our way from Birmingham to ride the Blue Ridge Parkawy in virginia. outside Atlanta we found ourselves behind a solo Harley Dude. Soon he sputtered and pulled to the side of I-20. We stopped (one Honda and one Suzuki) to offer help. He was out of gas. We were prepared. pulled out the siphon hose, found a plastic oil bottle in a ditch, washed it out, siphoned him a gallon or two and he was on his way. LITERALLY!! He left! No "thanks, here are a few bucks for your trouble". He just rode off. We laughed, the comedy value of imagining his embarassment was worth the trouble !
Brian A

Old 03-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you're Nimnule, out this way we take our left hand off the hand grip and hold it out like we're trying to shake.

Dennis https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=1733&.jpg
[i][font color=red]Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font][i]

[font color=blue]Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [font/]

78 F-150 429CJ,Silver, Explorer Pkg.
641/2-Mustang 260,Pre-World's Fair Car.
64-Fairlane500 S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang 289-Sunlit Gold 80,892Mi
78-Buick LeSabre 403 4V
84 Volvo DL Wagon

Old 03-22-2002, 10:30 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At least he didn't flip you off. Most HD guys are into the image of HD. Don't get me wrong, there are a large number of good HD guys out there that would stop and lend assistance. But a lot of them bought the bike because of it's image. So they try and live by it. Nevermind the fact that all on two wheels are brothers.

Some just don't know it.

Old 03-22-2002, 10:47 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?
The position of the dirt bag.

That used to be posted on the wall of a local import bike shop.

alanscott

Old 03-23-2002, 01:57 AM
Stab
Senior User

I ride a HD and throw the left arm straight and angled downwards to all riders. I assume it to be the standard "wave" because every rider I know does the same thing.

I bought the HD because I got a killer deal on it and I like USA type things. I despise the wannabe badass types that try their best to look like HA's without messing up their image for the dental practice they have. Most traditional biker types I know don't even have a Harley because they can't afford it. Most Harley riders I know are upper middle class people that want to look rebelious on the weekend.

On a side note the only riders I find truly to be snobs are wingers. Have you guys seen the same thing?

I'm probably going to sell my Sportster this spring (It is way to small for 2 up) and get either a Victory or one of the big metric cruisers.

You guys know anything about Victory bikes?

Later
Stab

Old 03-23-2002, 09:24 AM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing wrong with a Victory. It is a respectable machine. It's not the one I would go for since I think the Honda or Yamaha has more performance for less $'s.

I haven't had any problems from weekend HD riders. Usually it's the guys on older machines with loud pipes that seem ready to flip the bird.

Old 03-23-2002, 09:48 AM
UglyF250
Senior User

I certainly noticed the same thing when I was riding my CBR900RR. But even the Jap cruisers wouldn't wave. It's a club mentality. If you don't belong, heck with ya!

Me, I used to wave to everybody but I stopped after feeling like a fool too many times. If I saw another sport biker though, you KNOW I was there with the wave!

Crap, I wave at sportbikes when I'm in my car! They probably think I'm a dork...

Old 03-23-2002, 10:05 AM
truckertaz
Posting Guru

well im here as a "harley guy" i have 2 harleys but im the type of guy i will wave to all bikers with one exception... the crotch rockets..I hate those bikes and think they have absolutly no reason to be on the road except to kill teenagers and innocent people..those things should have stayed on the track where they belong!! you dont see guys driving dragsters or indy cars down the road..
so please dont sumorize all harley drivers most around here will do anything they can to help out a fellow biker(same rule no crotch rockets though)

just my $.02

Old 03-23-2002, 12:42 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you despise people based solely on the choice of motorcycle they prefer?:-X23

Old 03-23-2002, 02:07 PM
truckertaz
Posting Guru

oh no thats not it.. i hate those bikes i think they dont belong on the road..it has nothing to do with the person at all..

sorry just my $.02 didnt mean to offend anyone

Old 03-23-2002, 07:06 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had to chime in. I ride a Harley, its pipes are loud enough to set off car alarms, AND I treat everybody on two wheels like my brothers. Although, I do admit that I don't wave at the guys on the crotch rockets unless they wave first. Firstly, cuz I admit to some prejudice, and secondly for some reason most of them never wave back and I get tired of sticking my arm out for guys who apparently have their head up their hindquarters. I haven't notice the guys on the stratoloungers, ahem, Goldwings being snobbish at all. I do agree that we now have too many yuppies buying into the HD image and acting snobbish. The old school Harley riders in my experience have been very friendly to other types of bikers, although again, the crotchrockets are at the end of the food chain. How many 17 year old guys do you see speeding on those wearing nothing but swimming trunks, a helmet, and thongs? Talk about road pizza waiting to happen. Ride safe guys, and watch out for the chowderheads turning left.

Old 03-23-2002, 07:58 PM
Syrnok
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Mar-02 AT 08:59 PM (EST)]I have ridden many brands of motorcicles, harleys included and I think I got the Harley Image thing figured out. Whether it be a harley or a harley wannabe I believe they are so boring to ride that the riders are sullen about missing out on the real fun of what motorcycling is all about.
They don't corner worth crap and they are wwaaay over valued so how could you possibly have fun on them. Some of the riders overcome this. The decent folk and the true motorcyclists. The rest can't get over the feeling that they somehow got ripped off and this makes them sad and morose hence antisocial behavior except with their own kind. Birds of a feather you know.
Some of them sure look good though.

Old 03-23-2002, 09:19 PM
GatorFishing
Senior User

Well , I guess I'm just not a very friendly person. I drive a older(74 FLH) model with loud pipes and I don't wave at anyone. I don't care if your driving Jap ,German or even another Harley I don't wave. Why would I want to wave at someone I don't know. If I waved next thing I would know you would maybe want me to buy you a beer . So I don't wave cause beer ain't cheep anymore.

Old 03-23-2002, 09:56 PM
UglyF250
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Mar-02 AT 10:57 PM (EST)]Geez truckertaz, remind me not to wave at you, no matter what you're riding or driving! No offence taken for that comment though. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

For the record, when I was riding my sportbike, I usually did not wave at the dudes who thought a set of leathers meant birthday suit.

Us crotch-rocket riders call them "squids", and those of us who take the sport even somewhat seriously really don't appreciate the image they give the media and the general public of us.

Just wondering how many of you Harley guys wear helmets??? Out here in Pueblo very few cruiser types wear head protection. No helmet law in Colorado.

Let those who ride decide, and if you decide not to wear a helmet, then you'll be dead soon anyway...But at least it was your choice.

Old 03-23-2002, 10:49 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Nevermind the fact that all on two wheels are brothers.
Some just don't know it."

Well, that summed up MY thoughts pretty well, hence my original post. But golly gee, what a variety of "motorcycling ideology" we see represented here!
Where do I and my bike fall ??(Hopefully we NEVER fall) It is a Honda Nighthawk S. Pretty standard U.J.M. (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) But wait!! Kerker header with Competition insert, K & N filter, Dynojet Stage IV jet kit. Now I am in no-man's-land!! Nobody will claim me !! Oh well....
As for me:
a) I'll continue to wave, just to be friendly and acknowledge a fellow motorcyclist - and never expect him to buy me a beer!
b) Continue to like Honda, Harley, Ducati, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, old Norton Commands, Triumph, etc....
c) Always stop to help a fellow motorcyclist, regardless of his ride.
d) Continue to plan to - one day - buy a "crotch rocket" (Ducati).
e) Check this thread to see who says what.

Fate is a funny thing...what goes around come around.

Brian A

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what's the deal with Harley riders ???