Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > North Carolina Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:ncheavymetal

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Senior User

CarolinaCanes is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm normally relatively stationary once I get to where I'm going. But yeah it is about 40 to 50k miles a year. Oil change once a month.lol

I can't believe I just now started working on my own cars

1982 F-150 4x4 Explorer trim 302 c6 MC2150 carb
Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Senior User

Accidentally double posted.

By the way they do have wheelbarrows that are apparently free to use.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Senior User

Well I'm a little late on going and reviewing but here goes

I went to lkq in Greenville this past Saturday. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This was like a kid going to a toy store AND being able to play with everything.

So here's the deal

It's located on the sw side of town. About five minutes from the edge of town. Not to far at all.

Two bucks to get in. As soon as you walk out they have all the trucks out front. Most are Ford's. That takes up about four rows that are two deep.

Walking past the truck rows you walk smack dab into the Ford section. Needless to say I didn't make it too far back in the yard. Everything I needed was right up.

I went in looking for a pmgr starter for my 82 302 AT and found a couple of cars that should work. I verified this through a quick pm to an fte member that's always on the bullnose forum. (A very quick response btw, you got to love this board)

I went with a 95 mustang with a 3.8v6 auto. Luckily they didn't intend to drive this car as I made liberal use of my long pry bars. For others interested in doing this swap I should suggest finding a vehicle a little more accessible than a mustang. It was time consuming but not impossible and very much worth the effort in the end.

So I grabbed all the bolts and double checked my tools and started back to the office. Luckily my dad was with me and he reminded me I needed a dipstick for my Windstar. After a quick walk around I found an exact match a snagged it.

Check out was fast. Here was the damage:
1 starter 24.99
Core:10.00 ( they said a starter was a starter to them,I could bring in any starter for my refund. The parts store would only take a pmgr in return.)

Dip stick 1.99

Env fee 2.22 (don't know what this is)
Tax 2.74
Total $41.94

I've got 30 to bring in core if I chose and 30 days warranty on starter. I even asked if I could bring it back if it didn't fit. They said no problem, no questions asked 30 days replacement.

I thought that was cool.

Very good experience I must say. Great selection. The only bad thing was that they showed no Ford trucks in the website. I got there and there were dozens. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

Sorry to ramble but I though someone might want to know.

Charlie

Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Senior User

Obviously most of the fluid were drained. I say most because I did spill, and later waller in coolant. But it wasn't a big deal

All cars seemed to be supported well. They are on rims. One laying flat with another turned up and laying inside the bottom rim. They are welded together. I felt safe enough to do what I was doing. They were solid.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Freshman User

Gadsden is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brian Vanhoy @B_Vanhoy
Thanks Charlie that's great info. I don't know if all the LKQs run in a similar manner but that sounds pretty good.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:08 PM
NC Chapter Czar

ncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to all
Nice review Charlie.

Glad to know how theses places are working these days.

Very helpful.
Join the NC Chapter
Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Senior User

Thanks guys

Got a couple hours to kill and have been cooped up in a hotel room for 48 hrs. Gonna check out Durham lkq today.

If any difference I'll let y'all know.

Gotta find some oe duraspark modules. Hopefully I can find one at least. Gonna snag a couple if they have them.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Senior User

I did wind up going to the Durham location. Not much to report on. I left my house this week in flip flops and could only find boat shoes in my van to wear into the yard. Of coarse I find these walking for three days in the weather we've had. I guess it shows were my priorities lay...no flops in the yard was quite the motivator.

So wearing sperrys without socks the first thing I noticed was the one mile walk from the office to yard. It may have only been 60 yards but with cold water entering the sides of my shoes it's tough to gauge distance with any accuracy.

I did find two modules. My lack of knowledge and the module's lack of stickers prevented me from being sure that they were original motorcraft. These were the only two I found so it didn't make a difference.

I didn't lollygag and check out the whole thing. It was cold and I had to get back to the office.

When it came time to check out I was hit with 60 some odd dollar bill. Again this was my fault. They are listed as computer control modules and were 20 bucks a piece plus a 7 dollar core (to me a 7$ core charge is hard to swallow. I barely accept the notion of a core. This was only three dollars cheaper than my pmgr starter. To me the starter had much more recyclable and rebuildable value)

The website clearly indicates this price for computer modules, to me it seems like a fancy name for 30 year old technology that only has one input signal and one output signal.

With funds being tight and thinking one of the modules was shot anyway I chose the best one and gave the other one back. I was willing to gamble 15 knowing I could bring it back but 30 priced me out.

So in all reality everything that sucked was my fault. I do like the Greenville location better. I hate to say it but the folks that worked the counter were more my speed. We got along in your typical small town enc ease.

It was a small sample size and not enough to base an opinion on. It would come down to were you are and which yard had the vehicle you were wanting to pick from.

Luckily for the next three weeks and again this fall I will work in Durham and drive home to little Washington. All things being equal I'll go to Greenville.

That's about it.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:57 PM
New User

crazyeye is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are two yards near you in Salisbury, Cotton's Used Car's in Mocksville/Lexington off HWY 64near Carolina BBQ and White's Garage in Germanton off HWY 52 exit 22 going toward VA
Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 AM
Posting Guru

fuzzy1626 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can you see Cotton's from 64?
Tony,1994 F250 XLT ext. cab,long bed,7.3 IDI factory turbo,4x4,manual hubs,E4OD,4.10 gears,Hayden 679 trans. cooler,coolant filter, manual glowplugs,TruxPort tonneau cover,straight piped,190,000 miles and counting. 88 Ranger 2.0, 5 speed,147,000 mi.,bought new.NC Chapter Member,IUE Retired, NRA Life Member,USMC.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 AM
New User

crazyeye is starting off with a positive reputation.
@ fuzz1626,

No, there is Carolina BBQ restaurant on 64 in between Mocksville and Lexington rigt after you cross over the river, you have to turn there and its don about a mile on the left, cant miss it. Cotton passed last year, but if you ask the guys that work there what your looking for they will tell you where to look and let you walk around, cars back to the 30s.
Same thing with Whites, go in the office and ask for what your looking for and they will tell you where to go, pull part yourself or let them pull.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Posting Guru

fuzzy1626 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks....
Tony,1994 F250 XLT ext. cab,long bed,7.3 IDI factory turbo,4x4,manual hubs,E4OD,4.10 gears,Hayden 679 trans. cooler,coolant filter, manual glowplugs,TruxPort tonneau cover,straight piped,190,000 miles and counting. 88 Ranger 2.0, 5 speed,147,000 mi.,bought new.NC Chapter Member,IUE Retired, NRA Life Member,USMC.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Freshman User

Gadsden is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brian Vanhoy @B_Vanhoy
Awesome info...thanks for sharing.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 PM
NC Chapter Czar

ncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to allncheavymetal is a name known to all
Thanks for adding to the thread crazyeye. Welcome to the chapter.
Join the NC Chapter
Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 PM