North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Summer 2014 General BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 PM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Summer 2014 General BS Thread

It's summer enough. Hot, muggy, stormy. Yep, that's summer around here.

Dance and theater are done for a few months. Kids are about to be out of school for the summer. Played final regular season softball game last week. Have an all day tournament coming up. Swim team is kicking into high gear. We will be busy with that for about two months solid. Got some fishing in a few weekends ago. Caught some trout and a nice flounder. Got the bow out for target practice and working on my secret hunting spot getting ready for bow season.

Taking my kids to the pool this past weekend we spotted a dang near newborn deer wobbling up the ditch near the creek bed in our neighborhood. Still had some dried mucus on it and its fur was licked back. It hobbled into my neighbors garage and collapsed by their cat's food bowl. I thought it may have been injured but it was completely tuckered out. I went and got my neighbor and informed him he had a new pet. He had no clue what to do about it. I called the fish and wildlife folks and before I could get anyone on the phone the rascal tried to get up and leave. But it couldn't walk on the slick concrete and kept falling down spread eagle. So i picked the little booger up and carried it all the way back to where it came out of the woods and let it go. It wobbled into a nice brier thicket and plopped down again. I finally got fish and game on the phone and they said I did what they would have done. And certainly it's mama would be looking for it. I gave a few bleats on my fawn call and the little thing bleated too. So I feel pretty good mama was on her way. We left it there and I checked about two hours later and it was gone. Sorry for the long story but I thought it was pretty neat.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM
lilmatt119
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's awesome lol. Speaking of deer fawns, I had two run across the driveway at the Buckhorn Jockey Lot in Mebane yesterday, they were only about 30 yards from me. I figure they were a few months old, still had spots but the brown was starting to take over.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That one must of been a little late, cool that you could get it back in the woods though.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:51 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, no doubt it was a late bloomer. My kids were excited about the whole deal. Still talking about it.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Bob, any word on a new dwelling? Have you shot the witness yet?

Tony, doing any fishing? Is it still softball season up there?

Matt, How's work going? Keeping you busy?

Willie, Hope things are well. I bet you are slammed at work.

Larry, How is the season going? Still making full runs? Break anything lately?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 AM
lilmatt119
Senior User
It is. I am actually at our site in Morrisville this whole week. My partner had some family complications so I have it to myself. It will make for about 7.5 hours of OT, so I don't reckon I can complain too awful much. Thankfully the friggin' "Net Nanny" BS doesn't block this site, at least not yet lol

How about you? Any interesting new projects?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No James, I haven't fired that witness yet. Maybe we can get a few of us together and rent a lane someplace and squeeze off some rounds.

And I talked to the person that handles the house we're renting. He still hasn't heard from the owner to see if he's going to give us a 60 day notice, or if we have a while. I did find out that we are month to month, and we've been out and looked at a few different houses. And when I get a phone call back, they have been rented already. I'm hearing that it will slow down after August or September.
So we're in the hurry up and wait line again.

Hope y'all are doing well.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM
lilmatt119
Senior User
I got land in Caswell County we can go shoot on. That's where I go, usually. In fact, some my buddies here in Alamance are planning on doing a little basic handgun class in the coming months, the guy leading it is former military, has been a company police officer, and is also my partner in the security gigs that i mentioned in my last reply. He is also an NRA instructor, so yeah lol. He's wanting to do a 300rd class, but it's looking like the majority of us won't have that many rounds to comfortably burn either, so bring what you got if you want to join in.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:42 AM
lilmatt119
Senior User
And he's only asking $100 a person. Not a bad deal at all, cause this will probably be an all day thing.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:46 AM
lilmatt119
Senior User
Uhp, and we're actually doing that class on the 21st of this month. Apparently I somehow missed that lol

Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
That sounds like fun, I'm really wanting to get a few rounds out. We moved to North Carolina 19 months ago, and I haven't fired anything since we moved. We used to have a free rage to go to that was owned and operated by the Conservation Department. Free for a state resident, just bring targets and ammo, and a 10 mile drive down the highway.

I bought a Witness 9mm a couple of months ago at a gun show in Raleigh, and have about 200 rounds that I've been picking up. A .45 auto and maybe 100 rounds for that one, and about 100 rounds for my .38 special

Hollar when you'd like to get together

Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 PM
lilmatt119
Senior User
I've got to stock up on some more 45 ACP, 45 colt, and 454 Casull. I have a lever gun that shoots the last two, and I've only put about 10 rds of 45 Colt through it, which is kind of disrespectful to a system that can handle such a high power round...Mmmmm....454 from a 20" barrel....Water jugs are gonna hate me....

Old 06-10-2014, 01:07 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
I have a friend back home that has some land. And another friend that worked at a bowling alley, and he'd give me old bowling pins that we'd hang from a tree limb and swing for moving targets.
Now I just want to get a little trigger time in. I need some more .45 auto and will get some more rounds for the 9mm I haven't fired yet.

Bob

Old 06-10-2014, 01:10 PM
lilmatt119
Senior User
I've got a few bowling pins on my land, a pickup truck load of terra cotta pipe, an old safe that came from a local business, spray paint cans, plastic jugs, paper targets...Basically I have no shortage of fun things to shoot at lol

Old 06-10-2014, 01:19 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Sounds like fun to me!

Old 06-10-2014, 01:23 PM
lilmatt119
Senior User
Hey James, maybe we could set up a chapter shooting day?

Quick Reply: Summer 2014 General BS Thread