Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 2.7L Ecoboost in Baja 1000!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
GCVW has been increasing with each new generation of 1/2ton trucks. But how do these turbocharged engines do when towing max capacity? I actually do want to know as I don't own one. Going on build your own F150 on Ford's site, from doing what you'd want with an EcoBoost, 4.10s 2wd in a FX2 is the way to get max pay load. But does anyone know how these engines hold up with that?

Seems like if they are getting over taxed with the load, seems like they almost force people into going with a diesel or at least a Super Duty so they won't kill the engine.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
The 3.5L EcoBoost holds up well at max towing capacity and beyond. Members have been using them at full tilt for a while now, with no serious issues reported.

You hear of an occasional EcoBoost engine issue, but the warranty claims seem to be about even with any other contemporary engine.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
GCVW has been increasing with each new generation of 1/2ton trucks. But how do these turbocharged engines do when towing max capacity? I actually do want to know as I don't own one. Going on build your own F150 on Ford's site, from doing what you'd want with an EcoBoost, 4.10s 2wd in a FX2 is the way to get max pay load. But does anyone know how these engines hold up with that?

Seems like if they are getting over taxed with the load, seems like they almost force people into going with a diesel or at least a Super Duty so they won't kill the engine.
I had a maxtow EB , it was a good pulling engine, however, I never pulled like 9-10k with it. We comment on Ford and engine issues and yet all ram,chevy,toyota and Nissan all have different issues. What pisses you off is they ALL have issues so its like you have to pick your poison and pray. Its hard to say if the EB will hold up to the daily rigors of towing/haul as a work truck into the 100k mark w/o issue. I think that would be asking a lot out of any of these Brands. There all building junk today..I am going to say that many issues with trucks can be traced to lazy ***, distracted factory workers,, The factory doesn't correct issues they find in the QC just send them to dealer to fix under warranty,, that assumes dealer fixes the problem or gives you the std answer, "they all do that" or "that's normal". I think the race for technology and the image of being hi-tech is suffering at the hands of the Reliability/Durability of the vehicles themselves and that goes for all brands..

Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
There's been a few guys who have complained about durability going down. I'd like to challenge anyone to show proof that trucks are not lasting as long. From what I hear, durability is going UP on virtually every brand.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul

If you really want to know the answer to this and any other questions you have about the 3.5 egobooster you really need to talk to TOM. You can find him in 09-14 forum and in the superduty forums. He is a moderator in the superduty forum. He also has a 13 f150 screw with max tow. And has a video of the truck pulling a 15k lbs. load up hill for a standing stopped position. He can and will answer any questions you have about his truck and this engine handling heavy loads.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:58 PM
08SDGal
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back on topic.

The 2.7L Baja truck was DNF for finishing outside of the allotted time. Appx 65% of the vehicles that started the race were DNF'd for the same reason.

The 2.7 was DNF because every so many miles they would rest the driver (they only had 1) and inspect the body for any issues. This was about subjecting the vehicle to maximum abuse in the minimum amount of time.

After the race, they put a windshield in the truck and drove it back to Michigan.

Pretty impressive, if you ask me. Oh, based on the times (some know them), had they not stopped like they did to inspect the truck, it would not have been DNF. Thus, they accomplished what they wanted to.

Conspiracy theories on the DNF can stop.

As to issues with the EB. Yes, there have been some. Contrary to certain posters, it is only a small percentage that have had issues. It seems larger because the same person will go to every forum on the net, and scream. Also, all we hear is the bad. The truth being, if the engine was having that many issues with everyone, they would not have sold appx 400K of the EB F150's so far. Sales would be tapering off, and that is not happening.

Oh, people are picking up stock turbo's for about $600 each. In the world of turbocharging, that is cheap.