1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Another Truck Died and Won't Start Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM
terrylamar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Truck Died and Won't Start Thread

I ran to the store late last night and on the way back my truck died, but immediately start running again and seconds later died and wouldn't start. The Check Engine Light did come on. The Wait to Start Light comes on. It cranks, or did last night, strongly. It has "hiccupped" before, over the course of a month or so. I am a truck driver, so the month's time is little actual driving time.

Lately, with the cold, it has been hard to start. I think that is a bad battery and the cold. I started putting a trickle charge on the battery while I am away or overnight and it starts right up. I have plugged in the Engine Block Heater and I hear it sizzling?

I put a trickle charge on it earlier today, but I am too impatient and try to crank it to see if the tachometer is moving. I guess I could speed up things by jumping it with my big truck, but what a pain that is.

After reading numerous other similar accounts of the same symptoms, I am guessing it is my CAM Position Sensor (CPS.)

I found this:

The All New Improved CAM Position Sensor (CPS) for 7.3L Ford Powerstroke
•If you own a 7.3L Powerstroke, you may already be aware of the shortcomings of the stock Cam Position Sensor (CPS). It is common for the CPS to fail causing the engine to run poorly or to stop running altogether and it usually happens at the most inconvenient times, such as in traffic or pulling a load so many owners carry a spare CPS.
•This International Harvester CPS can be installed in the Powerstroke engine and will make the engine run quieter, smoother while increasing performance and mileage!
•Provides a different signal (changes timing from standard CPS) to the Ford computer which results in a more accurate injection of fuel and better running engine with easier starts!
•Works on all 94-03 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel.
•Results vary by applications!
•International Part Number: IHC#1876736C91
•Free Shipping (Lower 48 States)!

Is this marketing hype targeting an ignorant and therefore gullible Ford owner or should I swing by the International Dealer and pick up a couple of these?

With all the symptoms I have listed, am I on the right track?

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I say its the cam sensor.
Get one from IH or ford

Old 01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If batteries are in doubt, LOAD test BOTH batteries, in isolation from one another.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:28 PM
terrylamar
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
If batteries are in doubt, LOAD test BOTH batteries, in isolation from one another.
One had an internal short and exploded in my face while I was fooling with the cables. I replaced only one and the other was probably bad. I'm going to replace both of them.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:17 PM
terrylamar
Senior User
I, finally, had a chance to pick up a CPS. The Ford Dealership sold me part # F4TZ-12K073-C. It doesn't match the part number listed on this cite, I had them check it twice and they assured me it is the correct, updated part for my 1995 PSD OBS 7.3L DI. There is one major difference between the one I took off and the new one. They round portion that goes into the engine is smaller on the new part. Where the O-ring is the same diameter.

I had the batteries charging while I was trucking, I tried starting it before I took out the old CPS, the Tachometer did move a little, very little. I am assuming the CPS wasn't my problem. I changed it anyways. The Tachometer moves a little with the new one installed.

My truck, still, won't start. It almost caught, or it made a slight effort, once or twice. The batteries are discharge once again.

The engine check light blinks on momentarily, but doesn't come on when the keep is in the run position. It came on steadily when it first died on me. I have no way of reading codes.

I drained the fuel bowl and it has fuel back in it.

I don't have a clue and I have run out of anything I know to do. I think I will have to have it towed to the shop unless someone has any suggestions.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:18 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this before going to a shop: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byb4...rive_web&pli=1

I believe Nate posted this up a while ago.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:24 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
The fact that it died and then started back up is classic CPS failure. I don't know how much you paid for the CPS at the stealership, but I bought mine from here: Ford cam sensor 7.3 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel

Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 AM
terrylamar
Senior User
How much is the tach supposed to be moving when trying to start the engine? Mine is barely moving. With the CPS disconnected, it didn't move at all.

I paid a little more for my CPS from the dealership, but I got it immediately and I didn't have any shipping.

I'm going to the International dealership tomorrow and pick up the international part.

I found that flow chart, earlier, by reading tons of post about other posters with the same or similar problems.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:13 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
It should move enough that it appears to be cranking around 200 rpms.

You might want to check the oil level in the HPOP reservoir. IIRC the '94-'95 PSD have something on them that can cause the reservoir to drain, but having never owned a '94 or '95 I'm not sure. Either way its free to check. It should be at least 3/4 full. If its low, add some oil and try to start again. If its low you might have air the system, which will cause it to start very hard and run rough until the air is purged from the oil galleys.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM
terrylamar
Senior User
I have to admit, I don't know where the HPOP reservoir is, nor do I know how to check it.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:29 PM
91 Dually
Elder User

Originally Posted by terrylamar
I, finally, had a chance to pick up a CPS. The Ford Dealership sold me part # F4TZ-12K073-C. It doesn't match the part number listed on this cite, I had them check it twice and they assured me it is the correct, updated part for my 2005 PSD OBS 7.3L DI. There is one major difference between the one I took off and the new one. They round portion that goes into the engine is smaller on the new part. Where the O-ring is the same diameter.

I had the batteries charging while I was trucking, I tried starting it before I took out the old CPS, the Tachometer did move a little, very little. I am assuming the CPS wasn't my problem. I changed it anyways. The Tachometer moves a little with the new one installed.

My truck, still, won't start. It almost caught, or it made a slight effort, once or twice. The batteries are discharge once again.

The engine check light blinks on momentarily, but doesn't come on when the keep is in the run position. It came on steadily when it first died on me. I have no way of reading codes.

I drained the fuel bowl and it has fuel back in it.

I don't have a clue and I have run out of anything I know to do. I think I will have to have it towed to the shop unless someone has any suggestions.
You did mean to say 1995 instead of 2005, correct?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:53 PM
terrylamar
Senior User
Originally Posted by 91 Dually
You did mean to say 1995 instead of 2005, correct?
Yes, I have a 2005 Peterbilt 387 and for some reason I mix them up all the time.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:34 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, they're hard to tell apart...

To your earlier question, the HPOP reservoir is the rectangular metal "box" going across the front of the engine valley. It has a plug on the top, either a 1/4" square socket hole or a hex.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:12 PM
terrylamar
Senior User
Well, in my defense, they are both blue, both are diesels and both years of manufacture end in a five!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:24 PM
5X5MOOSE
New User
If it's the cam position sensor, the truck will basically not run. Sounds like a glow plug relay to me, especially if it's a cold weather related problem.

Quick Reply: Another Truck Died and Won't Start Thread