1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hey F2 fans - look at this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Hey F2 fans - look at this...

So, apparently I haven't been paying attention - the F2 could be ordered with a short bed? By my eye, it still is longer that the standard F1 - see the rear fender / tail gate relationship. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, the engine bay pics show a washer fluid bottle. Was this an option?

Lastly, what is the large unit just below the voltage regulator?

First 40K takes it, BTW.

Ready, go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-Pickups-F-2-AMAZING-1950-FORD-PICKUP-TRUCK-RARE-LOADED-SHORT-BED-COMPLETE-RETROMOD-/281234826190?forcerrptr=true&hash=item417ae6e3ce&item=281234826190&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&autorefresh=true

DW

Old 01-11-2014, 07:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
That's a stumper, all right?? Almost looks like some kind of a pump, but I can't imagine for what?

What about this "special order" short-bed F-2 business? First I've ever heard of it. On the other hand, I've heard of plenty of body swaps.... Nice looking truck, except for the bed. Is that real wood?

Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2014, 07:37 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Appears to be a real F-2....but has really small tires which make it look odd. I doubt they will get 40k for it, but who knows?

Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Wow - a question that baffles Ross - now I feel less challenged.

The bed bugged me too. Clearly, the wood pieces have a common seam toward the back - and there aren't any straps that one would normally expect. It kind of looks like flooring material of some sort.

For 40 grand I would also expect to have all the window cranks in place. It also looks like the passenger wing vent window and frame are missing. Guess I'm too picky.

DW

Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Must be some of those 'low profile' 17's on it. Way too small. The 17s would have been stock on an F3, but they'd be widowmakers and those don't look like wms. I would have liked it more if he was selling it right out of the 'barn'. So he spends 30 grand on restoration and is looking for 40. Who knows what lurks under that gleaming paint job? He stands to make 10 grand, and it might have been worth 20 if he left it as is. And for me, I ask "where is the hobby" in all this when one buys a truck that is already completely done. I guess it's just driving it around and not being able to answer a single question about the truck when somebody inquires. Sorry to rant.....

Old 01-11-2014, 08:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
In one view, it looks like it has late-model Dodge wheels? I agree, those look like station wagon tires.

It has also been re-wired in a perhaps not-so-professional manner, with cheap crimp connectors. All in all, a nice enough truck at $12k or $13k, not at $40k.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Tend to agree on the done versus 'needs doing' approach. At least with a project you tend to go in expecting to deal with issues - the 'done' vehicles are more of a crap shoot.

How do you get to dual exhausts with the I6?

Ok, I gotta stop this obsessing and go watch a playoff game.

DW

Old 01-11-2014, 08:09 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
The bed bugged me too. Clearly, the wood pieces have a common seam toward the back - and there aren't any straps that one would normally expect. It kind of looks like flooring material of some sort.

For 40 grand I would also expect to have all the window cranks in place. It also looks like the passenger wing vent window and frame are missing. Guess I'm too picky.

DW
I'm with you. The "bed wood" looks more like cheap laminate flooring. Not to weather resistant. And for 40K, like you I'd expect it to be a lot more complete and better detailed. The paint under the hood by the patent plate looks like crap.

I always get a chuckle when people start spouting off about one of a kind factory special orders without any kind of documentation to back it up. Someone's going to need to show me some papers before I'll believe that bed is original. I'm not biting.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:12 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple things I noticed were the seam in the bedwood too, but I don't know of any flooring that would be that long. Kind of like a laminate type. Most are around 4 feet or less, and the door handles don't droop. I like my droopy handles.The fan clamped on the steering column could be hazardous if you were to forget it's there. Maybe the mystery can is to help with the wipers. I clicked on the link in the add and it had more pics of the truck, some of a nice dodge too.Looks like some had the window crank and some didn't. Noticed on the dodge that it had an extra pedal near the brake pedal. Hmm.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:14 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Is it truly an F2? Can you tell the size by looking at the VIN? Is it possible they shortened an F2 bed and put it on an F1? I am not a 48 to 52 expert. On the 53-56's the vin has an F followed by a 10 or a 25 ora 35, etc telling you the size of the truck.

Your right GB those don't look like 17" wheels. My 54 has 16" and..... He mentions a side spare tire carrier... don't see it. That was not an option until 1954.

The wood bed does look like floor laminate you buy at Lowe's....
I think he put one piece windows in....

And those options he listed.... a lot of them were standard.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I'd say "buyer beware". I'd want to see the frame, transmission cross member, rear axle, and see that the frame number matches the tags. Also, those 17" wheels and tires are unlike anything I've ever seen used on a truck. Stu

Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I suspect the cowl can we're speaking of could be remnants of an aftermarket add on lubrication system that was sold in the '50s. One version injected oil into the engine upon startup and another version had grease lines run to each zerk fitting. Yeah, a plumber's nightmare.
I've seen fans, like the one shown, with no guard and they had rubber blades.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by raytasch
I suspect the cowl can we're speaking of could be remnants of an aftermarket add on lubrication system that was sold in the '50s. One version injected oil into the engine upon startup and another version had grease lines run to each zerk fitting. Yeah, a plumber's nightmare.
I've seen fans, like the one shown, with no guard and they had rubber blades.
Thanks for chiming in Ray. That begins to make some sense - also might explain why it is still there seemingly without any connections.

The fan positioning is curious. Unless you happened to be wearing a skirt that day, most of the benefit would be wasted.

DW

Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
After a closer 2nd look at the pics, there is something odd about that truck......
I wonder if it has a frame swap? That would explain the rear wheel not centered in the fender and the weird length bed. And what are the 2 extra bolts at the rear of the running boards?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by abe
Is it truly an F2? Can you tell the size by looking at the VIN? Is it possible they shortened an F2 bed and put it on an F1? I am not a 48 to 52 expert. ...
The letter "D" in the serial number indicates an F-2. I don't believe this is stock for a minute.

The wood bed does look like floor laminate you buy at Lowe's....
I think he put one piece windows in...
The bed "wood" looks like a cushioned vinyl flooring I've seen that lays like tiles. Good catch on the one-piece windows.

Does the data plate look funny to you?

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Hey F2 fans - look at this...