Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Does it Buzz, cuz?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Does it Buzz, cuz?

With the whirlwind of interest of Apps, head units, smart phones, and tablets - one question is a staple in the conversation: "Can it do a Buzz test?"

The Buzz test isn't the be-all end-all test, it's just indicative if the App or software will also be able to conduct KOEO, KOER, Cylinder Contribution, and other important diagnostic tests. Here is the short answer:

Usually... no. Whatever product you're looking at, search for "bi-directional" mode. This is the ability of your software/hardware to send additional information to the vehicle. Torque, OBDWiz, Dash Command, and the like are OBDII listeners - they just send a request as to what PID they want to listen to. Asking for PID info is like requesting a song from the DJ at a wedding reception. Conducting a Buzz test would be akin to playing a guitar riff to a DJ and asking him to dance to it. Most people don't play guitar, and most OBDII software/App/hardware combinations are not bi-directional.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
More info to ponder:

I've "scanned" the web for information on scan tools that conduct tests (like Buzz) on our 7.3Ls and I'm learning that the commands to do this are a closely-guarded secret. The cheapest option I have found so far is the one we are already aware of - AE Ford Enhanced, but even that is not the full-blown version. Only the "deluxe" version (about $1600) has all the functions available, but that's overkill for our very limited 7.3L. The 6.0L and newer makes much more use of the advanced features available in the full-feature AE... so it would behoove members with those rigs to open the wallet a little wider if they are serious about troubleshooting their own trucks.

If you are inclined to spend $1600 on just Ford, you might be better off with 90068 NGS PC Software. This is from Hickok - the people who made the original Ford NGS. I don't know what Infinity is capable of on a 6.0L or newer. If you want to have the ability to scan other vehicles, the full AE or Infinity may still be your best option - but I'd look deep into the limitations/benefits of each before loading that particular Buck$Zooka round.