1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Drove my truck some, a visit to Munchies and life isn't too bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove my truck some, a visit to Munchies and life isn't too bad is it?

I just got home from the local Friday night car meet. It was a good night, saw some great cars, some perhaps less great, at least to me, but still interesting and talked to a few people about cars. A good turnout, the car park was chocka block and lots of people wandering around. Why didn't I know about this place years ago, it might have got me motivated to do something a long time ago?

It was a good day all round, drove my truck to work, did some running around after work and ended up at Munchies for the car show. They call it Munchies after the snack bar there, the Munch Inn, in a local shopping centre. Life is good, I noticed myself walking a little more sprightly into work this morning after the drive there.

I am sure there are far greater things in life than this simple passing of a day, but it was something to appreciate. I waited far too long for this, for one reason or another. It made me think about some of the simple pleasures in life, it sometimes doesn't take much to make us feel good.

For all you blokes building your cars, which I did not do, I hope you enjoy the trip, and someday soon you get to drive the wheels off it.

Cheers.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:28 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
Neville,
It sounds like you had one of those days where you can really say 'isn't life grand", congrats! My day was spent block sanding to reshoot color on the bed floor and final block sanding the running boards all for, I hope, final color. There is a small reward getting to final color on parts of the truck but nowhere near the rewards that you got driving yours.
Good for you!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Tis the journey and not just the destination that rewards...

Happy Motoring!

DW

Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Thanks fellas, I did have a pleasant, enjoyable day in a lot of ways. I hope there are a real lot of great days to go around for all of us in the future, because we all know there aren't, the good ones, especially the REAL good ones sometimes only come along once in a while. I guess that is why they stand out for us. And there is a real pleasure in watching that colour flow onto some parts you have slogged away at for a while, isn't there, I have done enough of that to know that one. All the best with that, and DW, how many times do we do that, I am mindful of a trip my wife and I took the other day to a beach area we like, about 3 1/2 hours trip, through some nice country, and several interesting smallish towns but all we can think about is getting there so we can do stuff and have a good time.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 PM
wallster
Elder User
There's a little bowling alley just around the corner from my house that gathers up a decent cruise night every Friday after work in the summer. I can't wait until I can get home from work, hop in the '51 and cruise there where I will have one cold beer, one piece of pizza, and check out all the cool cars and people.

Great post, enjoy!

Wally

Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Wally, it certainly gives your week a help along to think about Friday night, or for that matter, Saturday night at another local site. Some years ago, I got to go to a motorcycle concours, a pretty decent size do, in our city which is the state capital, so plenty of people involved, either displaying in the show or like me, spectators.

I rode my 69 Triumph Bonneville there, parked on the street with many others and had a great time wandering around the display area. I really enjoyed the show and talking to people. It was a great feeling mixing with so many people with the same interest, and seeing a lot of interesting bikes, beautifully restored. As I left I felt so good.

My best friend and I have for many years, gone to a large motorcycle swap meet, and we love it, always look forward to it. We always come away feeling good, it is a great day. It is nice to have some things in life to enjoy, simple pleasures to help keep us going.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Sounds like you did indeed have a good time.

Last weekend I had a few errands to run so on a whim I fired up the old 49 and used it to run my errands. Woohooo. It sure feels good to drive the old thing. Oh sure, its winter here and cold outside and my old truck doesn't have a heater or insulation, etc but dang, it felt good to drive it

Life is good
Bobby

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 PM
nassi
Freshman User
Neville, would that be Captain Munchies in Freo?
cheers nassi

Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Nassi, no it is in Brisbane Australia.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 PM
wallster
Elder User
Originally Posted by Aus56
Wally, it certainly gives your week a help along to think about Friday night, or for that matter, Saturday night at another local site. Some years ago, I got to go to a motorcycle concours, a pretty decent size do, in our city which is the state capital, so plenty of people involved, either displaying in the show or like me, spectators.

I rode my 69 Triumph Bonneville there, parked on the street with many others and had a great time wandering around the display area. I really enjoyed the show and talking to people. It was a great feeling mixing with so many people with the same interest, and seeing a lot of interesting bikes, beautifully restored. As I left I felt so good.

My best friend and I have for many years, gone to a large motorcycle swap meet, and we love it, always look forward to it. We always come away feeling good, it is a great day. It is nice to have some things in life to enjoy, simple pleasures to help keep us going.
Neville, you're my kind of guy! I have gone on tons of motorcycle runs, wandered around just as many swap meets, bike shows, etc. I've owned dozens of different motorcycles including several Triumph's and I've restored, even built a few custom bikes. The best part of all those shows were the people, not the bikes.

Enjoy,

Wally

check out Wally's Speed Shop (plenty of bike stuff)

Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Last weekend I had a few errands to run so on a whim I fired up the old 49 and used it to run my errands. Woohooo. It sure feels good to drive the old thing. Oh sure, its winter here and cold outside and my old truck doesn't have a heater or insulation, etc but dang, it felt good to drive it

Life is good
Bobby
Bobby, I had it somewhat easier than you, we had a heat wave in Australia last week, got up to 38.9 degrees here, some states got it a lot hotter. At the moment it is about a lovely 27 degrees and I have the fan blowing on me. And yes it does feel good to get the old girl out and drive it. Winter where I am here is pretty warm really, get a couple of weeks of pretty cold weather, for us anyway. As an ad was saying recently, once it gets down to a freezing 20 degrees, life gets tough, or something to that effect.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:58 PM
nassi
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Aus56
Nassi, no it is in Brisbane Australia.

Oh well, I guess I wont catch up with you next Friday night.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Originally Posted by nassi
Oh well, I guess I wont catch up with you next Friday night.
No that would be a stretch, shame, nice thought though.

Wally you have had some great bikes alright, like those choppers, love the old school choppers. Bikes are indeed a blast. I have 4 old bikes, all non runners, I'm not much chop on the mechanical side. You on the other hand are obviously very capable, as evidenced by your bikes, fabrication skills and your rebuild on your great looking truck.