Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

My 1978 F250 2WD Distillery Truck...

Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 PM
RumRunner78
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1978 F250 2WD Distillery Truck...

Hey guys, I recently got a 1978 F250 as my new daily driver/grain hauler for my distillery! Always been in love with these trucks, and thanks to the wealth of info available here, I was able to track down the right one, only about 20 minutes away.

Anyway, a little about it... built in the Mahwah Ford plant, it's got the 351M(with a mild cam and oddly a race style dual oil filter setup - perhaps for better oil pressure?), 4spd T18 transmission, 3.31 Dana 61(it's a 2WD), and is largely stock. The guy who had it bought it as a delivery vehicle for his stove shop, and took meticulously good care of it - I've got the original purchase invoice, and nearly every receipt for work done on it! The thing is in wonderful shape too, although it needs some exhaust work, and a bit of tuning on the new carb.

My plans for it are to keep it mostly stock, with some upgrades for functionality. I'm going to redo the interior in tan, upgrade the lights(H4 bulb conversion and Hella 700FFs), do the Dakota Digital drop in gauge cluster, ditch the T18 for a T19(if anybody has a bead on a close ratio T19 please let me know!), and put on some Cragar soft 8s to replace the current wheels. As it will be on the road almost all the time, not going to do a lift, though I'd also like to figure out some way to level out the front - the suspension is tired, but I'm not sure if new struts and springs will do it, or if the Autofab 3" kit might be the ticket? Also going to be putting in either the MSD Atomic or EZ EFI system - REALLY excited for that!

Anyhow, I'll keep my modification/restoration progress updated, but thanks again to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Lots of good knowledge here.

Truck looks pretty dang good. Awesome that you have receipts for most of the work the PO did to it so you know a decent chunk of its history right there.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice. That's a pretty truck. Sequoia brown polly, or is she black?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
That's a sweet rig. .. well bought!

Welcome aboard. Lotsa goodfellas in here and in the Bump forum.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:08 PM
RumRunner78
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by co425
Nice. That's a pretty truck. Sequoia brown polly, or is she black?
Black - just sunset reflection!

And thanks guys, I couldn't be happier!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:16 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Nice score on the truck! Do you know how long ago the repaint was done. Cause it looks to be in good shape. What color is it? It looks to me to be like a Dark Cherry. Why exactly do you think the suspension is shot?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:44 PM
RumRunner78
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Welcome to FTE. Nice score on the truck! Do you know how long ago the repaint was done. Cause it looks to be in good shape. What color is it? It looks to me to be like a Dark Cherry. Why exactly do you think the suspension is shot?
I'll look through the receipts - isn't more than 15 years old though(stock color was blue). A little spray on wax + sunset reflection is all you're seeing - it's just basic black. Not in perfect shape, but hell, this isn't a show truck!

The front suspension isn't completely gone, but judging by sloppy damping characteristics, it could really use a refresh - even if just new struts and springs.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Just so you know these tucks don't have struts. They have standard shocks front and rear. Coil springs in the front and parallel leaf springs in the rear. Typically speaking as long as the shocks aren't leaking and they pass the traditional "bounce" test they are fine. That is push down on the truck and as long as it settles out (stops bouncing) in 1-2 bounces they are fine. The springs on the 250 and 350 trucks are pretty stiff. And can give a firm ride especially when empty. Worn springs can cause excessive cupping and in severe cases severe flat spots on the tires. Especially in the front with the coils. Worn leaf spring will sag and or cause the truck to lean if broken. You just might want to double check and verify so don't spend unnecessary money on parts that may not be bad. I hope I don't offend you by posting this, just trying to help.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Nice truck, Henry Ford's favorite color. Good way to join the dentside nation, have fun and enjoy the truck.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 AM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, id go along with your idea regarding replacing those wheels with something else! Its really nice seeing the distilling industry follow the wine and microbrewery segments! small, craft producers making a product for the local market! best of luck, and thats a good looking truck!

Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 PM
RumRunner78
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Just so you know these tucks don't have struts. They have standard shocks front and rear. Coil springs in the front and parallel leaf springs in the rear. Typically speaking as long as the shocks aren't leaking and they pass the traditional "bounce" test they are fine. That is push down on the truck and as long as it settles out (stops bouncing) in 1-2 bounces they are fine. The springs on the 250 and 350 trucks are pretty stiff. And can give a firm ride especially when empty. Worn springs can cause excessive cupping and in severe cases severe flat spots on the tires. Especially in the front with the coils. Worn leaf spring will sag and or cause the truck to lean if broken. You just might want to double check and verify so don't spend unnecessary money on parts that may not be bad. I hope I don't offend you by posting this, just trying to help.
Right right, I meant shocks... The issue is, the ride is much softer than I think it ought to be. The tires are essentially new, so no issue with wear - yet. But regardless, the front suspension is certainly not up to par.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:29 PM
RumRunner78
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by iggybob44
Yeah, id go along with your idea regarding replacing those wheels with something else! Its really nice seeing the distilling industry follow the wine and microbrewery segments! small, craft producers making a product for the local market! best of luck, and thats a good looking truck!
Thank you! And if you're ever on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, I hope you'll stop by for some rum and whiskey...

Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 PM
51fordf5
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That is one nice truck you've got there man! I love the stance it's got, and I don't think you could've picked a better truck for the job. Congrats on the new truck and welcome.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 PM
buttwheat
Senior User
Good looking truck

Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 238 Likes on 183 Posts
DAAAYYYUUMMMMM that looks good!!
Really, really!! Looks Really good, enjoy it and get used to all the attention you will now get!!

Originally Posted by RumRunner78
Hey guys, I recently got a 1978 F250 as my new daily driver/grain hauler for my distillery! Always been in love with these trucks, and thanks to the wealth of info available here, I was able to track down the right one, only about 20 minutes away.

Anyway, a little about it... built in the Mahwah Ford plant, it's got the 351M(with a mild cam and oddly a race style dual oil filter setup - perhaps for better oil pressure?), 4spd T18 transmission, 3.31 Dana 61(it's a 2WD), and is largely stock. The guy who had it bought it as a delivery vehicle for his stove shop, and took meticulously good care of it - I've got the original purchase invoice, and nearly every receipt for work done on it! The thing is in wonderful shape too, although it needs some exhaust work, and a bit of tuning on the new carb.

My plans for it are to keep it mostly stock, with some upgrades for functionality. I'm going to redo the interior in tan, upgrade the lights(H4 bulb conversion and Hella 700FFs), do the Dakota Digital drop in gauge cluster, ditch the T18 for a T19(if anybody has a bead on a close ratio T19 please let me know!), and put on some Cragar soft 8s to replace the current wheels. As it will be on the road almost all the time, not going to do a lift, though I'd also like to figure out some way to level out the front - the suspension is tired, but I'm not sure if new struts and springs will do it, or if the Autofab 3" kit might be the ticket? Also going to be putting in either the MSD Atomic or EZ EFI system - REALLY excited for that!

Anyhow, I'll keep my modification/restoration progress updated, but thanks again to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1978 F250 2WD Distillery Truck...