1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

clutch slave cylinder clip

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the style that does NOT have a bleeder, the bracket comes off of the pushrod side of the slave cylinder, so you can pull the slave cylinder out and install it while never removing that bracket from the trans. I just worked on a bleeder style slave cylinder last night and now that I think about it, it did look like that slave cylinder would have to be disconnected from the line in order to get the bracket off of it... So I think I was wrong in my earlier post. Your style, I think, the line must be disconnected, but the other style does not require the line to be disconnected.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just took a look at our old ones. It LOOKS like if you rotate the clip 45 degrees, you can slip it off the end of the slave. I got both ours soaking in PB as we speak; I should know later if I can get one of 'em loose. I'll take a pic illustrating my 45-degree theory before I bust on it.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Update - that worked. Here's where you can see how it locks in by turning 45 degrees:

You can see the hole in the clip is square, and the body of the slave is molded in a diagonal square. Since this one was so rusty and stuck on, I had to put the body of the slave in a vise and put a pry bar in the clip to turn it, counter-clockwise. Here it is after rotating it:

You can see now how the hole lines up with the molding of the slave body.
Here it is after I slipped it partway off the slave:

So I can throw it in an envelope to you if you want it; I'll either take it to UPS tomorrow eve, or the post office on Thurs. PM me a mailing address.

If you have to take yours off the truck to get the busted clip off, I'd recommend taking out the whole hydraulics as a unit, don't open it up and keep the master above the slave, that _should_ avoid bleeding it.

If you decide to just replace it, best bleed option is to let "them" do it, that is, buy a complete master-line-slave kit pre-bled. Installs in about 10 minutes.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys - sorry, I lost track of this thread after breaking down and ordering a new slave when it seemed apparent that my style slave was different than most. Pogue - I appreciate the effort, but that is a different style slave than mine. I WISH mine came off like that. After receiving the new slave in the mail, I can confirm that Travis is def right - my style slave has the clip come off over the hydraulic connection side, not the rod side.

That said, I think I may try to cut the clip off the new one in such a way that it'll come off the side. If I can make this work, I'll carefully cut the old clip off and slip this new one on. I think this approach should work, but we'll see.

Crawling under the truck 2-3x/week in the snow and slush sure is getting old!

Again, my apologies for losing track of this thread, and not catching you before doing unnecessary work, Pogue.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 AM
woodtrucker
Senior User
have fun cutting spring steel. not an easy proposition.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:28 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by woodtrucker
have fun cutting spring steel. not an easy proposition.
angle grinder with zirconia blade! makes quick work of just about anything but diamond!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 AM
woodtrucker
Senior User
sweet! you can zip thru it with that! Hope you get all squared away. I've laid on the ground in the snow and cold working on trucks so I know where you are coming from. Not the most fun thing but boy is it nice working on them in the summer! I think I could work round the clock on my truck in the summer. I love being outside when it's warm weather!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
no kidding! a nice spring day outside under a truck is just fine by me!

Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
just got around to cutting the new clip off the new cylinder (just a little slice on the toward-the-transmission side), slid it right off and right onto the one on the truck, without opening the hydraulics at all. now I just need to cut the old one off when I get home.

pretty easy swap. I don't expect any issues, but will report back if anything crops up.

sorry, no pics - it was too cold out! I was working as fast as I could as my fingers were instantly numb. plus, this doesn't seem like it'd be a common problem. if anyone else does need to do this (with the Wagner Slave), I can get some pics of it installed for the slice-size.