WVO plus WMO = ???? (pics!!)

Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,137 Posts
WVO plus WMO = ???? (pics!!)

Ok. I have never mixed these things together, but after hearing about the nasty 'precipitates' that fall out - I always wanted to try it!! Who doesn't like Mad Scientist experiments!!! (insert evil laugh)

So, (on 7/31/13) I took some beautiful filtered and dewatered WVO and added some WMO - from an oil change in my 7.3 PSD. The WMO has been settling in the gallon jug for a few weeks and I carefully poured 'off the top'. In the last pic you can see a little corner of unmixed WVO, but I tipped the container back and worth and mixed everything up real good before storing it.

I tipped the jar this morning and there is definitely some gunk on the bottom already!

I have no idea where I'm going with this experiment, so gimme some ideas.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
looks like something not to put in an engine, but what about a waste oil heater?

Old 08-03-2013, 10:23 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Morning Trent. I run both in my 180,000 btu shop waste oil burner, but had problems when I mixed them. After using both in my heater for the last two winters, I ONLY burn WVO now. Using WMO I have to clean the burner once a week. With using WVO I only have to clean it once per season. The carbon that builds up with WMO make me glad I don't run WMO in my engine.......

Old 08-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Morning Don, good to see a little activity on this site.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's a shame it's been so quiet for so long, but I visit it every day anyway...

Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Hi guys. I have no intention to burn this in anything except the bonfire. Another forum I visit has become the go to place for guys who wanna burn WMO and there is an idiot around who likes to claim you can make 'translucent' WMO 'fuel' by mixing things together - including WVO...

I know several people personally who have mixed WVO/WMO and ALL claim it made a mess. Messes are cool, so I'm trying to make one!!

Looks like I'll let this settle for awhile, then pour some off the top and filter/heat/settle that to see if more 'black goey stuff' falls out. Also considering doing a mist wash of the resulting concoction to see what happens.

Its all in good fun and even though minimally scientific, I feel this type of experiment is excellent experience for my 10 & 13 yr old boys.

At the end of the 'fun', we MAY stumble on something that creates a (higher?) success rate for the WMO burners... However, we WILL have something to toss on the next bonfire!!!

Meanwhile, we wanna make some videos to kinda spoof the 'Alt Fuels' Prophet - you remember, the guy with the old chevy van who got himself banned from all the forums?? I can picture my kids in lab coats acting very serious attempting to duplicate knucklehead's experiments with light tables and various concoctions.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Just don't create any poison gases and get Homeland Security involved....

Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its good to see you have the sense to try this in a bottle not an engine! i read your title and thought we had another guy screw himself over by mixing the two.

but as we're on the subject of mixing fuels, i see a number of local gas stations selling a biodiesel blend - is there any chance of that raising hell when i mix it with WMO? i haven't tried it yet, but thought i might see if anyone else has experience with it

Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
its good to see you have the sense to try this in a bottle not an engine! i read your title and thought we had another guy screw himself over by mixing the two.

but as we're on the subject of mixing fuels, i see a number of local gas stations selling a biodiesel blend - is there any chance of that raising hell when i mix it with WMO? i haven't tried it yet, but thought i might see if anyone else has experience with it
Excellent question!!! Maybe I'll whip up a dr pepper method batch just so we can try this. Or I guess I could blow the dust off and fire up the 'ole BioPro and cook up 50gals...

Looks like we will play with the blend we have mixed up again today. Charging up the camera, maybe I'll make a corny video like our friend does - hopefully without acting so creepy!!

Planning to pour off the top and segregate the 'light' stuff, then collect the sludge off the bottom. We'll heat the stuff off the top up to 180-200*, pour it thru a coffee filter, then let that settle.

No luck yet finding a microscope that takes pics - but, we'll be looking at the sludge under ours and will report what we see.

Wonder what the other 7th graders are doing after school today? (I cannot remember when mine played a video game last. ) This kid's kindergarten teacher pulled me aside shortly after school started and asked if our truck really ran on french-fry grease. He literally does not remember my truck not running on WVO... I always say they'll need SOMETHING to tell their therapists later in life!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
We poured off the top of the WVO/WMO mix thru a sheet, then heated that stuff to a little over 200*F and poured that thru denim (arguably ~5-10 microns).

Waiting for pics/vids to upload now. I was surprised there was no 'gooey stuff' on the bottom of the original mix. The black 'stuff' looks just like what I'd expect on the bottom of WMO. It did have a thicker layer on the bottom, but it all poured out pretty easily. At +200*F there was some 'crackle' present and some bubbles in the convection currents. When pouring thru the denim, the flow was much slower than I would have expected at ~170*. Not sure if that observation was relevant (nothing to gauge the flow with).

It will be interesting to see if heating the blend causes the WVO to polymerize at a faster rate. How long should we let this sit? What should we do next?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Here is a video pouring off top of the settled 50/50 WVO/WMO mix thru a sheet.

This one is the 'bottom' of the blended mix after carefully pouring everything 'off the top' of it.

Here, we heated the stuff we poured off the very top up to +200*F.

Finally, the heated stuff was poured thru denim.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:17 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you think you have found the polymer recipe some one will change the blend on ya..I don't mess with VEG Oil..its the Devil.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:19 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by speedwrench72
when you think you have found the polymer recipe some one will change the blend on ya..I don't mess with VEG Oil..its the Devil.
Well, I believe nasty stuff can happen since I have several friends who have seen it by doing it inadvertently. Kinda disappointed this hasn't gone gooey yet... I was hoping for drama like our friend Jeffrey had - or didn't have - or didn't and then did.... Whatever it was, mixing stuff together and having drama sounded fun - and I knew my 13yr old would be down with that.

Thank God you don't mess with VO, frankly there is enough competition for it without you!! After almost 300k miles burning the stuff, I just know its gonna cause me a problem any minute now.

I guess we should do something with this experiment. It is in a sealed glass jar resting on the workbench at the moment. Perhaps I should put it in the window? Maybe sprinkle some iron shavings in it? How about some copper?

Old 08-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Just don't get it mixed up with your Guinness..

Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
83capril
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates on this? Curious as to what it looks like now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WVO plus WMO = ???? (pics!!)