6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Couple ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Couple ??

08 F-450 6.4

Whats the idea of the boost guage?
Why do I need that info?

On my 7.3 I used to pack a cam sensor because they go often.
Anything like that on the 6.4?
Do they even have a cam sensor like the 7.3's?

I have done the delete on my truck.
On cold mornings when its warming up it blows some blue exhaust , but quits once I start driving it?
Any idea where the blue might be coming from?

Should I do a EGR delete?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 AM
jmhatchett
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point of the boost gauge is just to show the psi in the turbo.
I feel like its always good to know pressure levels in a diesel engine since it all runs based on pressure.

If you have done the DPF delete then i would most certainly do the EGR delete also. Removing the EGR may solve the blue smoke issue also. Now there are a couple theories on the EGR delete i.e: just turn it off, block off plates, or full removal. I personally am going the full removal route and if i ever sell the truck it can be put back on.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhatchett
The point of the boost gauge is just to show the psi in the turbo.
I feel like its always good to know pressure levels in a diesel engine since it all runs based on pressure.

If you have done the DPF delete then i would most certainly do the EGR delete also. Removing the EGR may solve the blue smoke issue also. Now there are a couple theories on the EGR delete i.e: just turn it off, block off plates, or full removal. I personally am going the full removal route and if i ever sell the truck it can be put back on.

I was thinking full removal of the EGR also, I see kits that don't look to expensive.

Theres gotta be a better reason than curiousity why theres a boost guage doesn't there?
If Im only going 20 mph up a hill and cant go any faster I don't need a guage to tell me that somethings wrong?

I could see it if it was monitoring something like oil pressure or EGt's or something?

Thanks for your input.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 AM
jmhatchett
Senior User
"Turbocharging an engine provides more air into the combustion chamber which increases power output. Using a turbo charger instead of just having higher mechanical compression allows for the increased cylinder pressure to be present during times of higher need (heavy acceleration / towing) as opposed to 100% of the time. The boost gauge monitors the pressure in the intake system of your engine. Boost should go up proportionately to engine RPM/load. Since the turbo is driven by the exhaust, it basically follows that the further you are into the throttle, the higher your boost.

The real purpose behind the gauge is to monitor your turbo system. Boot failure or turbo failure would show up as an absence of boost when it should be there." (found on another forum)

The kits run about $200, but say to take about 6 hours to install and my advice is that if you are not comfortable around engines and diesels, then it would be best to have professionally installed.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Always nice to have a boost gauge, id be thinking "wtf" if they didnt...(I have a dashdaq anyways so id be ok if there wasnt one on cluster!)
Blue smoke is oil, diesel are "oil burners".