Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 F150 $1175 for fuel pump??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:28 PM
et_miller_87
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd check for a leak somewhere. Replacing the external pump with no increase in pressure would tell me either a blockage or a leaks elsewhere , or a low current feed to the external pump. Have you checked voltage at the pump?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Sapphire Blue_95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by firemarshalmike
If you every head to Canton, Ga, let me know, I will make sure you don't go there.
I know a real good and reasonable, sort of old school mechanic just a few miles to your east in Dawsonville. He does all the work on my truck.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yea, that was the other thing! The plug-in for the external pump was corroded up inside where you couldn't see it. Cut it off and wired it together and that solved that problem.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 AM
dien4me
Freshman User
I'm very interested to know what the outcome of your problem is seeing how I am having the exact same problem. I also replaced my inline pump but still no change. It's like my motor just isn't getting fuel and I can't seem to trace down the problem.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:27 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dien4me
I'm very interested to know what the outcome of your problem is seeing how I am having the exact same problem. I also replaced my inline pump but still no change. It's like my motor just isn't getting fuel and I can't seem to trace down the problem.
As I said before, check that canister for a filter, if your truck has one, that is.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 PM
firemarshalmike
New User
Problem Discovered, (not by me of course), but I am learning

et_miller_87 nailed it and so did eakermeld. My tank selector switch had shorted, melted and fried. It looked good at a glance but I would have seen the damage had I spent more time there and not had tunnel vision on the fuel pump. That short at the switch shorted out quite a bit of other things as well. et_miller_87---I will start learning about the electrical. You were right about low current. eakermeld--the mechanic said if the electrical had not got me, the cannister would have. Thank you all very much for your guidance.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 AM
et_miller_87
Senior User
No prob man. Glad we helped you get your truck back on the road

Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 AM
zackcj7
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sapphire Blue_95
I know a real good and reasonable, sort of old school mechanic just a few miles to your east in Dawsonville. He does all the work on my truck.
Who do you use? I'm in Dawsonville as well. I usually use Mullinax in Dahlonega for the stuff I don't want to do.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Grantslicker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by firemarshalmike
et_miller_87 nailed it and so did eakermeld. My tank selector switch had shorted, melted and fried. It looked good at a glance but I would have seen the damage had I spent more time there and not had tunnel vision on the fuel pump. That short at the switch shorted out quite a bit of other things as well. et_miller_87---I will start learning about the electrical. You were right about low current. eakermeld--the mechanic said if the electrical had not got me, the cannister would have. Thank you all very much for your guidance.
So it was the actual selector switch that was shorted? My 351 runs fine until you need to accelerate or go up a hill, then it sputters and occasionally backfires thru the intake. I tested the fuel pressure at the rail and it was within specs. I'm about ready to throw in the towel til spring. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:34 PM
et_miller_87
Senior User
Grantslicker, something to look into,as a general rule, check for codes first. Even if the CEL isn't on, there might be codes in CM. Another direction to go is to check all the vacuum lines, check the spark plugs for a bright blue, healthy hot spark. And just because you've got good fuel pressure doesn't mean you don't have a fuel delivery problem. Clogged injectors could be a culprit in some cases.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Grantslicker
So it was the actual selector switch that was shorted? My 351 runs fine until you need to accelerate or go up a hill, then it sputters and occasionally backfires thru the intake. I tested the fuel pressure at the rail and it was within specs. I'm about ready to throw in the towel til spring. Any advice is appreciated.
Rig up the gauge so it sticks out of the hood then take it for a drive and see what the pressure does. My 89 tested fine in the driveway but did that same thing out on the road. At least you will know.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Grantslicker
Freshman User
So what kind of psi should I maintain under load? Or should I ask what kind of drop did you see?
So your selector valve was the problem?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
35psi at idle, 45psi at WOT. There was a filter in the valve that wasn't supposed to be there. It was plugged up. That was the new, one year old one. The original valve was letting fuel pass between tanks. After I replaced it I took it apart and found some gunk under one valve. Be VERY CAREFUL removing that bowl from the selector valve. You cannot buy replacement parts like o-rings and such.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Grantslicker
Freshman User
Thanks for the info, now if I could get some nice weather. Lol. Those camper mirrors are too damn wide to fit in my wife's garages.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Grantslicker
Freshman User
Well, I did a fuel pressure test today, my results were:
Engine off 38 psi. (Ok)
Engine idle 33 psi (ok)
Engine idle vacuum disconnected from FPR 42 psi (ok)
Turn off engine and at 1 minute pressure drops to 20 psi (failed). It didn't take long to drop to zero. I also noticed a small amount of fuel in the vac line.
I'm in the process of removing the FPR, what a PITA that job is! Basically have to remove the fuel rail. I sure hope this makes a difference.

Quick Reply: 1988 F150 $1175 for fuel pump??