1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Any one have experience with this glow plug kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Serenity06
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one have experience with this glow plug kit?

I have a couple good reviews so far but looking for more input!

http://www.littlepowershop.com/94-03-ford-powerstroke-7-3-diesel-glow-plug-super-kit/

Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The link wasn't enabled, but go with BERU's.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
The reason everyone says to go with Beru/Motorcraft is that other brands have a reputation for swelling or cracking and then you cant get the GP out.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those are the Diesel RX glow plugs that Jim (at Rosewood Diesel) sells and supposedly they're pretty decent. There is a video floating around here somewhere about them. If Jim sells them I am inclined to say that they're a decent product, but you definitely can't go wrong with the Motorcraft / Beru plugs. Glow plugs are not something you want to cheap out on because if they swell, crack or break you're looking at major repairs. For my money I would just get the OEM stuff and be done with it.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Serenity06
New User
This kit says its OEM specifications.... I'd just really like to order it all together if possible so it shows up altogether....

Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Serenity06
New User
Old 01-07-2014, 02:13 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, I would say if Jim at Rosewood sells them, they most be OK. Motorcraft is what most everybody uses because of the reasons stated above. I can't see Jim selling anything that is not good quality. May want to give him a shout and see what he gets for them. He's a sponsor of this website, and this forum. He has a link at the top of this page.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Serenity06
That's not the same "Kit" as the first link you put up. In the first link the manufacturer is listed as Diesel RX. I don't know where those GPs in the second one come from and unless you know, I wouldn't put them in. It could be Autolite for all we know and those are known to cause issues. If you're concerned about just getting them all together, get them from Riffraff.

Glow Plugs:
Motorcraft Glowplugs ZD-11 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

GPR:
Glow Plug Relay / GPR - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Clay only carries the best and you will not beat the customer service. If you want a GPR you'll never have to replace again, get a Stancor relay. It'll set you back some bucks but it should last you a lifetime.

I said it before and I will say it again, I wouldn't mess around with the plugs. The GPR.... your call, but the plugs I wouldn't skimp on. If they swell up or break off (which some are known to do) you're looking at removing the head to get them out.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:49 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
That's not the same "Kit" as the first link you put up. In the first link the manufacturer is listed as Diesel RX. I don't know where those GPs in the second one come from and unless you know, I wouldn't put them in. It could be Autolite for all we know and those are known to cause issues. If you're concerned about just getting them all together, get them from Riffraff.

Glow Plugs:
Motorcraft Glowplugs ZD-11 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

GPR:
Glow Plug Relay / GPR - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Clay only carries the best and you will not beat the customer service. If you want a GPR you'll never have to replace again, get a Stancor relay. It'll set you back some bucks but it should last you a lifetime.

I said it before and I will say it again, I wouldn't mess around with the plugs. The GPR.... your call, but the plugs I wouldn't skimp on. If they swell up or break off (which some are known to do) you're looking at removing the head to get them out.
Jim's customer service is second to none as well.

Get the BERU's and be done. There's a reason I pulled 5 working GP's after 175k miles. Quality.

There's a cheaper GPR relay that's supposed to be very good as well. It's a relay from Western Plow. I, however, don't have a PN.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Serenity06
New User
I'm aware that its not the same kit. thats why i'm posting, for opinions Its my first diesel.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tshrager
There's a cheaper GPR relay that's supposed to be very good as well. It's a relay from Western Plow. I, however, don't have a PN.
Western plow solenoid link:

Western Solenoid Motor Relay NS 56131

Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Good info. I wasn't aware of the Western Plow relay. I wish the website gave the specifications, but that is a low price. Subscribing for future reference.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
Good info. I wasn't aware of the Western Plow relay. I wish the website gave the specifications, but that is a low price. Subscribing for future reference.
Everyone I know of who has one says it's better and stronger than the stock relay. That's good enough for me to trust it. That, and the stock relay (that I bought before I knew about the cheaper alternatives) was $60.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 PM
96ford250
Elder User
I have the western plow relay works great. The only down side is it doesn't fit both studs on the bracket.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
Everyone I know of who has one says it's better and stronger than the stock relay. That's good enough for me to trust it. That, and the stock relay (that I bought before I knew about the cheaper alternatives) was $60.
I've been looking at the Stancor units. My GPR 109 is working great, but it IS the second one I had to install on my truck.

Originally Posted by 96ford250
I have the western plow relay works great. The only down side is it doesn't fit both studs on the bracket.
What did you have to do to make it work? Any pictures of the solution?

Quick Reply: Any one have experience with this glow plug kit?