Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Freshman User

DadOh1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can a stock '54 rear suspension tow a teardrop?

I have a 54 f100 with an '89 Mustang 302 5.0 engine, an AOD tranny, front brakes and rear axle from the same car, and most everything else is stock. Original steering, old leaf spring suspension front and back. So, can I tow a teardrop, or will the back end be too bouncy?

I'm just starting to build the teardrop on a 4 x 8 Harbor Freight trailer that can handle 1700 lbs, but I expect maybe 1000 lbs when it's done. (Have not picked out a plan yet)

Do i need to modernize the rear end with a drag link or something? I know my engine/tranny is not very torque-y, will that be a problem? Any other tips, ideas, or pitfalls that you guys can think of? Thanks! Jerry
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Hell, you could tow a horse trailer with it, just as it is.

I'd look closely at the HF wheels, tires, and wheel bearings.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Post Fiend

JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Hell, you could tow a horse trailer with it, just as it is.

I'd look closely at the HF wheels, tires, and wheel bearings.
I , also , would be more worried about the trailer components ! The truck should do fine .
Old 01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Freshman User

Tomc750 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Back in 1955 my family towed a house trailer from NY to Texas with no problems, with a '54 Ford 239 V8 and Fordomatic. The car was stock except for overload springs. We hit a detour in Chatanooga and had to go up a very steep hill. And up we went, about one mile per hour. The car had high mileage when it was traded and ran fine.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Posting Guru

teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yup, sure can.
1955 F-100, 302, shortbed, Explorer Rear "Jamie"
'65 Mustang Coupe, '67 Mustang Coupe, '68 Mustang Convertible, '04 Mustang GT
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Posting Guru

teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOh1 View Post
I have a 54 f100 with an '89 Mustang 302 5.0 engine, an AOD tranny, front brakes and rear axle from the same car, and most everything else is stock. Original steering, old leaf spring suspension front and back. So, can I tow a teardrop, or will the back end be too bouncy?

I'm just starting to build the teardrop on a 4 x 8 Harbor Freight trailer that can handle 1700 lbs, but I expect maybe 1000 lbs when it's done. (Have not picked out a plan yet)

Do i need to modernize the rear end with a drag link or something? I know my engine/tranny is not very torque-y, will that be a problem? Any other tips, ideas, or pitfalls that you guys can think of? Thanks! Jerry
Have you bought the trailer yet? If not, drop me a line... I have better solutions, ideas....
1955 F-100, 302, shortbed, Explorer Rear "Jamie"
'65 Mustang Coupe, '67 Mustang Coupe, '68 Mustang Convertible, '04 Mustang GT
Old 01-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Remember these were WORK trucks as long as you use a suitable hitch (class2 for your load) attached to the frame, not the bumper or crossmember you could tow the space shuttle. (well maybe not uphill ) Biggest problem I can see is getting the hitch drawbar/ball low enough to level the trailer. You may need to modify a draw bar to bring it down low enough.
I used one of the harbor freight/Northern tool 40x48 trailer kits to build a race tire and tool trailer for autocross before I got an enclosed car hauler. I put well over 100K miles on that little trailer (often at speeds not to be mentioned in public)!
Two recommendations: I don't know if there is a choice of wheel sizes like there was on my trailer, but go with the 12". Northern Tool sells high speed replacement hubs with bearings that I'd use. Pack the hubs full of automotive wheel bearing grease for use with disk brakes, and repack one a year.
The two weak points that are not likely to affect you is the taillight brackets and the fenders crack and fall off from vibrations, and the incandescent light bulbs fail very frequently from vibrations. I replaced the marker lights with LED versions and replaced the taillights with a LED light bar that incorporated tail, stop/and turn functions that I mounted in the center of the rear. That solved the blown bulb problem and scraping of the shins from running into the license plate under the taillight. I used a polyethylene plate mount and an LED license plate light. I got all the lights from www,superbright.com
Here's a pic of my trailer with 2 sets of race tires on it:

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Senior User

Giesterfarher™ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
Remember these were WORK trucks as long as you use a suitable hitch (class2 for your load) attached to the frame, not the bumper or crossmember you could tow the space shuttle. (well maybe not uphill ) Biggest problem I can see is getting the hitch drawbar/ball low enough to level the trailer. You may need to modify a draw bar to bring it down low enough.
I used one of the harbor freight/Northern tool 40x48 trailer kits to build a race tire and tool trailer for autocross before I got an enclosed car hauler. I put well over 100K miles on that little trailer (often at speeds not to be mentioned in public)!
Two recommendations: I don't know if there is a choice of wheel sizes like there was on my trailer, but go with the 12". Northern Tool sells high speed replacement hubs with bearings that I'd use. Pack the hubs full of automotive wheel bearing grease for use with disk brakes, and repack one a year.
The two weak points that are not likely to affect you is the taillight brackets and the fenders crack and fall off from vibrations, and the incandescent light bulbs fail very frequently from vibrations. I replaced the marker lights with LED versions and replaced the taillights with a LED light bar that incorporated tail, stop/and turn functions that I mounted in the center of the rear. That solved the blown bulb problem and scraping of the shins from running into the license plate under the taillight. I used a polyethylene plate mount and an LED license plate light. I got all the lights from www,superbright.com
Here's a pic of my trailer with 2 sets of race tires on it:
I have that exact same trailer. I built a universal engine test stand on it, and hauled it with several different cars. I've test run everything from a dual quad tunnel rammed 283 to a 780 horse 460 boat engine. (Had to add outriggers for that one! )

The 54 Effie will haul a full out camp trailer, you might even forget you have a Tear Drop trailer behind you.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I hauled this one with a Miata!

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
Pulled my car with one of my 66 f100s....all stock.

Click the image to open in full size.

Trying this on my phone.....

'49 F1 239 Flathead
Click to see my Gallery http://tinyurl.com/p4xegzv
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Senior User

pintoplumber is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pintoplumber is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's what we pull. Hopped up 239, 4.27 dana 44 R 10 overdrive.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Posting Guru

carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOh1 View Post
I have a 54 f100 with an '89 Mustang 302 5.0 engine, an AOD tranny...
I'm curious about what your gear ratio is in your rear end (not sure that came out right)? I have the same set-up and I'm running a 3.25 ratio and it's too steep for the AOD's shift points.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks