Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Read the reviews.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:18 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
Read the reviews.
...I did the only bad thing I saw was about games. However with no Bluetooth I guess it doesn't matter

Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
I would think if it had BT they would say it.....but games are just apps, just like Torque.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:17 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
It will not charge through the USB, it says so in the reviews - that was a huge red flag for me. I have a 12V-to-USB adaptor, and that keeps the wiring very simple. Imagine using an inverter in the cigarette lighter, to a DC adaptor "brick", then the cord to the tablet power inlet. I have one of those sitting about 18" from my Nexus 7 - I got the cheap one (with a case and USB mini-keyboard) for $79. It's really slow, and not all software works with it. My inexpensive unit will not charge through the USB and it has no Bluetooth. This was my very first attempt at a tablet, and I learned a lot from trying to go cheap. I'll be wiping the dust off and giving it to my granddaughter on her birthday or something.

Cheap Bluetooth and WiFi OBDII adaptors frequently cause the same grief.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Tugly: I have passed up a free or a partially/free phone upgrade with Verizon a couple of times now but I think I may upgrade to a tablet phone to take advantage of Torque Pro and also occasionally to use it as a mobile hotspot for my laptop. (I will still use my flip phone as my primary phone and switch to the tablet as a phone when I need data access for my laptop.)

So anyway what tablet would you recommend for Torque Pro (with cellular capabilities also) based on your experience?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The best tablet I've had in my hands is my Nexus 7 (2013) - and I've used many that friends and coworkers have asked me to look at. Nexus blows the Ipad mini away for being intuitive, responsive, clear, and the availability of apps. The Samsung is nice, but it's small to the point where it wouldn't have more than two gauges up at a time while driving (with my crappy eyes for anything closer than the windshield). The Samsung also lacks the wizbang of the quad-core Nexus 7 with KitKat 4.4 (a screamer). Even the previous-generation Nexus 7 is a dog next to this unit. Google has the Nexus 5... that's an option. The screen resolution on the Nexus 7 is insane - 1920 by 1200 pixels. That's better than 1080P... on a tiny screen. The Nexus 10 is a whopping 2560 by 1600 - that's beyond "2K" HDTV. The resolution does get put to use with the screen cast feature (awesome presentation device):

My unit does not have cell - but the Nexus 7 is available with 4G/LTE and GPS for $349. These units also have NFC, which may or may not play a bigger role in the future. Think about it - store your vehicle manuals and Torque Pro on your tablet, have your navigation, a nice hands-free phone with huge display (easier to see from a distance with a jumpy vehicle), and hotspot your vehicle with one device. If I were to hit the reset button, I would have spent the extra $120. This was my first real tablet, and my work duties require something more substantial than a tablet... but I have found many unexpected uses for my tablet.

That's it... that's my version of "top of the sane line", and what I look at to determine this. Now that I've experienced this, I have no desire to ramp it down a notch.

Beyond sane: HTC One has the M8, with the forward-facing speakers and metal Chassis. This uses a Buck$Zooka magnum round quite nicely, and is as good as it gets... but I can't justify that expense for technology that will be outdated within two years.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:20 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Nexus 7 for me, but like Rich, I use AE on a laptop as well.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:54 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Duplicate - see below

Last edited by sunuvabug; 06-04-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 06-04-2014, 07:56 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
... snipped ... I think I may upgrade to a tablet phone to take advantage of Torque Pro and also occasionally to use it as a mobile hotspot for my laptop. (I will still use my flip phone as my primary phone and switch to the tablet as a phone when I need data access for my laptop.)
Tom, you may want to look at the Android based Samsung Note 3 "phablet smartphone" as its referred to in some circles. I did a lot of research before getting mine a few months back and have been really happy with it. Its not the size of phone you slip in your pocket (much bigger) but the larger screen size, data capacity, speed and incredible battery life is very impressive.

I too am looking at the Torque Pro app and I suspect the Note 3 screen size will be very handy when it comes to displaying multiple gauges etc. Oh yes, it's also a great smartphone too! ~ Bugjr ~

Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6&et_rid=13280

Will someone look at this one and tell me what you think. I believe it has all the essentials. The only bad reviews are from units that don't charge and that is because of cheap chargers that are sent with them. I have chargers laying around.
I don't need a device will cell service. I already have an iPad and a Surface so I don't NEED another tablet. I want something inexpensive for torque. That's it. Reviews say its pretty quick compared to other name brand tablets of its size .
Thanks!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
In a perfect world, you want it to charge through the USB port. There are USB power adaptors that fit in the cigarette lighter, and they are very inexpensive. If you have a "Charger", that implies it's a 110V unit, then you need a separate inverter. There goes the whole saving money thing... and your dash looks like Medusa.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
So Verizon has a "4GLTE Nexus 7 from Google"

"Thinner, lighter and even more portable-Nexus 7 from Google is designed to feel great in your hand. Now featuring a stunning 1080p HD display, Verizon 4G LTE speed, a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera, wireless charging and family-friendly sharing options. It’s powerful, portable and made for what matters."

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...ContractTerm=2

This is kinda interesting, it says that it does wireless charging "Built–in Qi Wireless Charging (Charging accessory sold separately)." Apparently there are two different manufacturers who make charging pads for it.

http://www.qinside.biz/en/charging-s...s-charging-pad

http://tylt.com/vu/

Do the pads have to have 110v AC or can you get a 12v DC car adapter is the question.

Maybe put that pad on Tugly's flex-necked platform and you've got a charger and a holder?

Apparently, there are also some 10" tablets out there and apparently a predicted Nexus 8 coming out, but the 7 seems like the right size for you guys for Torque Pro?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:38 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Hello All,<o></o>
<o></o>
I've been going back all the pages on Torque the last few nights trying to my gauges set up. So as far as setting up and or selecting the PID's from the standard list, do you guys prefer to enter the PID's coding by hand or select them from the standard list. I know Rich has done so extensive work on trying to clean up the formulas for all of us to make better use of the app. I was thinking if I sit here at work and hand enter the PID's I could make my screens and I wouldn't need to be connected to the truck.<o></o>
<o></o>
What Say You?<o></o>
<o></o>

Old 06-05-2014, 05:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
This is kinda interesting, it says that it does wireless charging "Built–in Qi Wireless Charging (Charging accessory sold separately)." Apparently there are two different manufacturers who make charging pads for it.

Do the pads have to have 110v AC or can you get a 12v DC car adapter is the question.

Maybe put that pad on Tugly's flex-necked platform and you've got a charger and a holder?
The Qi is inductive charging... which must be an AC signal of some sort. I assume most units will be 110-240 VAC, but it is possible to use DC, convert to AC, to charge your DC device. Even with a Qi in the platform - there is a wire right there. The simplest approach is USB to an adaptor in the cigarette lighter or an added USB port (like in a head unit). The head unit makes sense, because the two pieces might actually work with each other in some way.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bkuuz1
I was thinking if I sit here at work and hand enter the PID's I could make my screens and I wouldn't need to be connected to the truck.

What Say You?
I downloaded the Ford extended PIDs, then started dialing them in a little tighter. I recently had to strip Torque and re-install it. I did all my programming in the comfort of the living room chair, then took it to the truck to do a KOEO with Torque connected. I always check Torque with KOEO after a change to Torque... I have suffered the wrath of not testing new things first.

Quick Reply: Torque Pork (as in bacon)