Sponsored by:

tailgate torsion bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:13 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tailgate torsion bar

Where does the upper end of the left side of the tailgate torsion bar go? I don't see any reliable spot where it could go, considering that if it let loose from being attached to the inner tailgate frame, it would do a nice smackdown on the window.

Mine is resting on the outer tailgate skin and is also keeping the glass from rolling all the way down.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you are missing the retainer clips that go in the bottom of the tailgate and hold the spring in place.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Torsion bar

If you need the clip that holds the torsion bar to the bottom I have two. New.

A camera is a great way to see in the tailgate.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:28 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Raleigh1
Sounds like you are missing the retainer clips that go in the bottom of the tailgate and hold the spring in place.
More than likely.

Does the upper end of the torsion bar supposed to rest on the outer skin of the tailgate?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Absolutely not. The rod should be held down to the floor of the gate with a bracket that was welded into the early tailgates but may have been bolted into later units.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:28 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Ok mine may be so messed up that I can't get a mental picture from what you guys are telling me.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 AM
peganit2
Elder User
Ok got it, there is a welded in bracket missing on the far left side, plus the two lower pivot brackets. They're probably laying on the side of the road somewhere around here.

My replacement tailgate has it so I'll just live with the condition until I get the new one on.

Thanks for all the replies and help!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you don't want a broken tailgate glass and can handle the weight just get rid of the torsion bar... Just ask me how I know...

Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Encho
If you don't want a broken tailgate glass and can handle the weight just get rid of the torsion bar... Just ask me how I know...
Good thought. I can handle the weight but I'm not sure my wife and children can though.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If removal is not an option then you better keep a close eye on it, mine snapped out of place and broke my rear window. It did just as I finished washing it, imagine the feeling .

Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That sounds all too familiar, Encho. $1,500 suspension lift JUST installed, closing the tailgate to take it for a spin... BANG! and its raining safety glass all over me.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 PM
peganit2
Elder User
My torsion bar is nearly out of play. It's already resting against the outer skin. I'm not sure how it could come back and hit the glass.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Encho
If removal is not an option then you better keep a close eye on it, mine snapped out of place and broke my rear window. It did just as I finished washing it, imagine the feeling .
Yeah I can. Love my Bronco, but that design is just asking for trouble. It's VERY light gauge sheet metal holding that spring in place!!

I might put a safety strap on my replacement T/G. A small eye bolt.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by peganit2
My torsion bar is nearly out of play. It's already resting against the outer skin. I'm not sure how it could come back and hit the glass.
Have you seen one when it's actually in place? Pretty much you are taking an elongated Z and twisting it. That inner bracket rusts from water and crap, then it lets go and there goes a window. I've removed mine from my 78 just to be safe. They have tension on them till the tailgate is about 1/2 an inch from being latched. Makes for an interesting removal.

I was just wondering, what about some sort of strut similar to what people put on their hoods and hatchbacks? I know it would be the reverse effect and it might be hard to get it to fold up right but if it helped slow the gate as it was lowered, that might be something to look at.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Have you seen one when it's actually in place? Pretty much you are taking an elongated Z and twisting it. That inner bracket rusts from water and crap, then it lets go and there goes a window. I've removed mine from my 78 just to be safe. They have tension on them till the tailgate is about 1/2 an inch from being latched. Makes for an interesting removal.

I was just wondering, what about some sort of strut similar to what people put on their hoods and hatchbacks? I know it would be the reverse effect and it might be hard to get it to fold up right but if it helped slow the gate as it was lowered, that might be something to look at.
The retainer bracket is already gone, and we got lucky in that it didn't break the window. Minimal damage.

I was thinking POWER TAILGATE! A linear motor (maybe two) wired into the system would be freaking cool.

Full logic, the window button lowers the window, then unlocks the gate, then lowers it. Do the opposite to the switch, which reverses the operation.

That's the ultimate.

Quick Reply: tailgate torsion bar