1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Installing the Heidts IFSin the '53

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM
big schott
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing the Heidts IFSin the '53

I have been planning on this part of the build for a few months and finally the time has come....
A little progress....

I got the IFS from JPL Street Rods, They were easy to communicate with and all the parts came intact!!!

After I tact the cross member in place I found that it needed to be moved forward 1 1/4". After I remounted it I did the mockup of the fender and now it looks like the tires will be in the center of the fender. Just the way I wanted it...

Here is a picture of where the center line was and now where the center line is...

I have a buddy that is a "certified welder".... Damn he did a GREAT JOB!!!!

After a little paint and a little time Wala,,, Looks good!!

Does this look correct???? The instructions for the Rack and Pinion didn't say what to do with the washers.

And How tight are the "inner tie rod ends" put on and how much can I crank on them before I can do damage to the Rack an Pinion? I checked and found NO pins installed so I should be able to unscrew them but NO dice... HELP!!!

Old 01-05-2014, 05:51 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Good luck on the front end. I have a Heidt's Super Ride in my 39 car. It is great. Drives and handled like a sports car. Hope yours works out as well in your truck.
Larry

Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Can't help with your questions as I have never done a Heidt's. Just wanted to tell you how good it's looking.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:33 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Are you talking about putting on the 2" rack extensions? If so, I believe I had to crank on mine really hard! I thought the same thing...

Old 01-05-2014, 07:16 PM
big schott
Junior User
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
Are you talking about putting on the 2" rack extensions? If so, I believe I had to crank on mine really hard! I thought the same thing...
That's what I'm talking about. I just don't want to twist something. I used a 1/8" drill bit and found no studs in the holes. I tried to turn it out to install the 2" extensions and WOW it is TIGHT!!!! I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
My biggest problem was the new boots that came with the 2" rack extensions. I had a breather tube that ran from one boot to the other.(straight tube) Now that tube doesn't reach with the new boots.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM
big schott
Junior User
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
My biggest problem was the new boots that came with the 2" rack extensions. I had a breather tube that ran from one boot to the other.(straight tube) Now that tube doesn't reach with the new boots.
I'll let you know what I find on this,,,, But I think I could just cut a new 1/4" pipe the new length to make that work...

Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Why not direct some of your questions to Heidt's. I'm sure they would be willing to help. I think it all looks great from start to finish.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM
big schott
Junior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Why not direct some of your questions to Heidt's. I'm sure they would be willing to help. I think it all looks great from start to finish.
I could have but, It was Sunday, I needed feedback, and you guys are more fun! Thanks for the support!
BTW, I came in this morning and put a little more pressure on the wrench and it came loose.. I am good to go!!! Thanks!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
I'm interested in how it all works out, I may be doing the same on my next project.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Schott- where did you get the power steering rack from?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
big schott
Junior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford
I'm interested in how it all works out, I may be doing the same on my next project.
Don't wait up for me to let you know who this setup works,,,, This project is probably going to take me 2 to 3 years. LOL

Also I got the whole setup from JPL Street Rods. Good to work with and it seems all the pieces showed up.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by big schott
Don't wait up for me to let you know who this setup works,,,, This project is probably going to take me 2 to 3 years. LOL

Also I got the whole setup from JPL Street Rods. Good to work with and it seems all the pieces showed up.
That's okay, I haven't started this new project yet.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM
jerry_s
Tuned
Quick question out of curiosity - did you paint the parts with spray paint or did you get them powder coated? If you painted, is there any reason that is preferred over powder coat?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 PM
big schott
Junior User
Originally Posted by jerry_s
Quick question out of curiosity - did you paint the parts with spray paint or did you get them powder coated? If you painted, is there any reason that is preferred over powder coat?
I just painted at this time, I do have a PC and an oven but at some time in the future I will probably pull the parts one at a time, Blast, Prep, and PC. The rattle can paint is just to make sure nothing rusts. I know the Cross member will have motor mounts added to it but, I didn't want it to rust till I get a chance to do that.
Like I said, This is going to take time.

Quick Reply: Installing the Heidts IFSin the '53