6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

whining noise (video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:55 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well your problem seems to have gone away? Right?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:27 AM
jlrFordFan
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Countryboy,
Today's my first time reading through this whole thread but before doing so I listened to your videos (with the hopes that the opinions of the other smart dudes on here wouldn't bias or influence my thoughts). After several listens to your vids I was thinking of only two noisemakers: a) high pressure cold oil moving through a small orifice, b) a high velocity air leak

Then I read the thread and see some refs to the torque converter which could lend some cred to my thought that your whine sounds a bit like h.pres. oil moving.
Some questions for you, in order to install your leveling kit what did you have to unbolt / remove/ replace? Does your level kit include an aux. air pump/compressor? Have you crawled around looking for signs of an exhaust leak? Does the whine get less perceptible after you've driven the truck for a while and everything including the trans is up to operating temp? Have you checked the boots at the turbo/CAC for a boosted air leak?
Sorry for the basic ?'s, you sound pretty thorough and knowledgable by your posts, just hoping to help you stumble across something you may not have thought of yet.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 AM
countryboy73703
Senior User
jlrfordfan,
My leveling kit included 3" blocks, track bar relocation bracket and radius arm drop brackets, and then 2" block for that back end. I pretty much dropped the front axle all the way down to get the springs out, put the blocks in, and then I lifted it slight to keep the springs fom falling out. then I unbloted the read of the radius arm where it bolts to the frame,and i installed the drop brackets, and then I put everything abck together and tightened it up.

No aux air pump/compressor.. not sure what I would need that for to be honest.

I have not looked for any exhaust leaks, and the whine is there constantly and the same all the time regardless of oil temp or trans temp. Trans shifts fine with no problems as well.

I have not looks for leaks on my turbo piping because I don't seem to have any problems with my boost PSI. Also, when I'm in park or neutral, and i rev the engine, at best I make 3 or 4 PSI, how ever the whine is still there as it usually would be while driving.

I'm still learning about diesels, but I'm a propulsion engineer in the Navy.. with that being said I understand machanics (pressures, hydraulics etc.) and I feel I have covered the basics.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
well I made a home made stethoscope, and did some more checking around, I listened to the turbos and they seemed pretty quiet at idle and high idle. I tried listening under the turbos where the hp fuel pump would be, and it was quiet. If I leave it on high idle, and I can lean over by the passenger tire and hear the whine, but if I lean over on the drivers side I can NOT hear the whine. nothing seemed abnormally louder than anything else. I checked valve covers, turbos, intake, fuel cooler, tried to listen to the hp fuel pump area, CAC, egr..
Speaking of EGR there is a fitting on the very top of the uppper cooler by the EGR and i noticed there was moisture seeping out of the threads a little, just a tiny bit and it was bubbling slightly... abviously NOT normal, but not sure if this could be a clue to why I have a whine. EGR is disabled to my knowledge since i"m running spartan 250 tune.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to blow off your whining problem but if the moisture isn't coming from a water inlet or outlet you need to fix that.
The whine coming on one side and not the other, you pinpointed it a little.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
Yes I know, I just found it today... Not sure where the moisture is coming from... I'm about to get a new radiator, when I do I'm deleting the EGR and the coolers so I'm not too worried about it.

Anywho, I still dont know where the whine is coming from... What all is in that are that's worth checking?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
If my water pump had air in it would it whine? Just curious? I'm thinking not

Old 02-02-2014, 06:39 PM
JustAJ
Freshman User
OK, maybe this won't be helpful, but my 99 F150 was making a whining sound similar to yours, but its gotten worse lately. I was thinking PS pump, but some research indicated it might be the pump, but only because it was starved for fluid and not actually bad. I pulled the reservoir off today and the screen was almost fully blocked with sludge. I cleaned it thoroughly, added fresh fluid and the noise is gone. I'll be 100% certain in the morning when I go to work, since it makes the noise really bad when cold, but it is usually still there when hot and after the change, there was zero noise. The benefit is that this is almost completely free, and if nothing else, you'll have fresh fluid in there and only be out the cost of a quart and maybe an hour of your time.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
I have already flushed it. And I verified last weekend that it is NOT belt driven, and seems to be some where on the passenger side portion of the engine.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 PM
stevensm
5th Wheeling
Another old mechanics trick to listen for engine noises... Take a 1/4 wooden dowel rod, place one end on suspect part making noise and other end in your ear. You can run down bad bearings, issues real quick. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
Well I made an 11 hour drive and everything all good so far. It's much colder where I'm at right now... In a few days I'll be making the drive back down south... Hopefully everything holds up... I think it will... Oh I was wondering... Today is was 11 degreese out and I was driving my truck and getting a lot of white and gray smoke, and not as much black smoke... Is this normal? The area I'm stationed at only get to around 40 degreese out so I do t have any experience with this truck in the really cold temps.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:45 PM
jlrFordFan
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What did you do to get rid of the whine? On the smoke, I can't recall if you said earlier if your DPF was in place or deleted. If the DPF is in place I would say smoke is not normal, and white smoke can indicate anti-freeze in the exhaust stream (sort of coincidental you mentioned an anti-freeze leak near/at the EGR a few posts back.)
Trucks that are running "normal" (taking a bit of liberty with that term) don't smoke at all or very seldom. On the very seldom smoking events these are typically associated with the start of regen (exacerbated if regen starts and then you stop & start very shortly thereafter as in a traffic light).

Old 02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
I didn't do anything to get rid of the whine... I kind of noticed that it went away when I got there but my windows were up cause it was cold... I did pay attention today now that I back in the south, and it seems the whine went away while I was on my trip... If it's still there then it's much more quieter and I don't notice it now.. Weird though...

As for the smoke, i started to plug in my truck at night and that helped it warm up faster... Took car of the white smoke.. I think it's was just taking a while to warm up.. Everything seems fine now..

Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
UPDATE:

ok, so I said that it went away.. well it did.. how ever it was a nice and warm weekend down here, and I went to go fire up the A/C and it wan't blowing cold.. I was like ... wtf.... anyway, after getting home I looked under the truck to me sure nothing was wrong witht he drive belt, and sure enough it wasn't on... so I'm guess while I was home on leave and it was cold, my belt froze up or the clutch bearing for the A/C finally failed and it just thru the belt.. I haven't taking the belt off yet cause I did't have time before it got dark. I'm going to replaced the belt, and check the tensioner to verify that it's ok.

So i"m thining that it's my A/C cluth that was making all the commotion. I never took it off cause it didn't seem to be the problem, and I wasn't having any problem with my a/c blowing cold. So my question is, is how hard is it to relaced the cluth on the compressor... I see that AutoZone only sells the clutch bearing.. is that the only thing thats needing to be replaced? I've never messed with the compressor for a car before... any help is appreciated. I might need to just start a new thread for this.. see what kind of feed back I get first... thanks in advance.

-Josh