Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 PM
New User

Mcfarlane11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2002 cold start issues

Well, I am sure there is a similar post somewhere in here, but I'm in a hotel for a week and only have my phone to search around with.. So here goes
It started when the cold first came in in eastern Oregon.. Maybe 40 degrees
My truck would start fine but running down the road it would act almost like it was hitting a governor..kinda lug down a little and once it would hit the 'governor' it would kinda bounce around at that speed.. That would only last a block or two tho. Once the cold really started setting in down in the teens the cold start issues arrived.. Normally the pickup will start up pretty easily, running just fine, with everything sounding normal.. After a minute or two of idle the pickup will start running real rough, enough to noticeably shake the truck.. Then she will shut off. I'll turn the key over and try again, but this time it's a pain to start, the truck will crank over and over shaking pretty hard (enough to slam my hood shut).. Once the cranking starts speeding up and the oil gauge jumps up it will finally fire up.. About the same time it finally fires up I'll occasionally get a 'ding' pretty sure that's just my battery light going on after a long crank.. The first part when it fires up sounds real rough (my buddy said it's a fuel knock) Then the truck will run roughish for a little bit.. Then die again.. The process is repeated a couple times (as little as 2 start ups, sometimes about 20 minutes worth) till it's finally warmed up enough to stay started. Every time it's starting up, except for the first initial good start it's blowing a good amount of white smoke. Once it finally starts running.. It'll continue to run rough for a little while, and eventually when it kicks into the 'high idle' I know it won't die anymore.. After letting it warm up a little she sounds and runs fine.. I'll be able to drive around all day.. Turn it off and on without a problem.. Just the first start every day I go through this..After those problems in the teen degrees.. It'll now do it on a 40-45 degree day
I've got some thoughts on it.. But haven't built up enough diesel knowledge yet. I've got half an idea that maybe it's some sort of seal that when cold isn't sealing good until it warms up and everything's expands a little and gets a good seal.. I've also thought that maybe when it's cold, oil is thick and not flowing through the oil portion of the injectors, once it warms a little and thins the oil out it'll start running smooth, maybe injector issue?.. I've changed out my fuel filter.. Just checked the gpr and gp's tonight.. Not sure if I did that test completely correct, but I had good voltage on my gpr with key off, and key on, and after pulling the wire plug, I had resistance of .5.. Both sides read the same actually .5 .5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .5 .5 and that's on right and left, I am not sure if the iicicii or however it goes is all supposed to be at zero tho.. And I know that's having to do with injector + and common.. Anyways sorry for the long write up.. Hope I can get some help! I'm sure the great minds here can!!
Oh by the way, I did video the cold start and could probably post it on YouTube and put a link in here if that would help anybody!
Thanks much!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:42 AM
Senior User

jps47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
do you use fuel additive or have a fuel pressure guage
Old 01-05-2014, 12:51 AM
New User

I have been using an additive after this fun began, probably 3 or 4 tanks worth at least now.. and as for a fuel pressure gauge I don't have anything.. I do have a bully dog GT chip..(getting new chip soonish) And there may be a setting on there for fuel pressure.. But I don't always trust the readings off that.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 AM
Senior User

jps47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
have you tested your glow plug relay to make sure its working. .5 for gp's should be good. but thats for the white smoke at start up. I think there's more than one thing going on here not related. You can pull the fuel filter and test how fast the bowl fills. The governing thing sounds like a fuel problem but could be hpop too. hopefully the wise ones will chime in.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Senior User

whitetmw has a very good reputation on FTE.whitetmw has a very good reputation on FTE.whitetmw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Check the GPR. There should be less than .5 Volt drop when activated between the feed and the load poles respectively.

Check the Fuel Pressure, both Static and under a Load to eliminate delivery to the bowl.

Do you have access to a scanner like autoenginuity or NGT? If so, do both a Buzz Test and Glow Plug Test. Record the ICP/IPR and Duty Cycle at start up and report back.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 AM
New User

I have tested the GPR.. Tested it with key on & off. It was good.. Scanner tool I won't have access to until I get back to Oregon on Wednesday.. As for now I'm in Nevada.. I came up with another thing I'm gonna hopefully be able to try tomorrow after work. As for now.. I'm gonna head to bed and hopefully it'll all come to me in a dream!!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Post Fiend

HKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant future
xmdxredeem3r
If you get some time, read my cold start thread. The link is in my signature. There is a good amount of issues discussed regarding cold start problems. I have some videos I posted as well.

PAA Member #3
2003 Lariat CC4X4

Cold Start thread
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM
New User

I'll try and take a look at that when I get back today from work.. Maybe squeeze it in on lunch. Thanks for the info
Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 AM
New User

Got a question.. The IPR sensor is to the right of the the fuel filter if your standing at the bumper.. Correct? If so I noticed this morning that the two wires going into that sensor were showing through the protector hose deal, not only that but those two wires were cracked and the wire itself was exposed. My question is, could that sensor be causing issues like this? I messed with those wires a little when i started the pickup this morning and it actually shut my pickup off about instantly.. I plan on fixing those wires either way, either with small shrink tube or new wiring..
Old 01-05-2014, 12:55 PM
New User

HKusp, I'm going through your thread now, on page one, I listened to your video, and that is exactly what my pickup sounds like after the first initial start, like I said the first start is good, then after it dies they sound similar to that, except I continue to crank until she starts. I'll continue on with the thread now..
Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Postmaster

tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfarlane11 View Post
Got a question.. The IPR sensor is to the right of the the fuel filter if your standing at the bumper.. Correct? If so I noticed this morning that the two wires going into that sensor were showing through the protector hose deal, not only that but those two wires were cracked and the wire itself was exposed. My question is, could that sensor be causing issues like this? I messed with those wires a little when i started the pickup this morning and it actually shut my pickup off about instantly.. I plan on fixing those wires either way, either with small shrink tube or new wiring..

This picture should help: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - tdpower's Album: Useful pics - Picture

If it's your icp sensor that monitors high pressure oil.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:37 PM
New User

Very helpful picture, thanks..
From looking at that picture it's looks like the EOT sensor that has the wires cracked.. Soo engine oil temp sensor..
Old 01-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Senior User

zeppelingto is starting off with a positive reputation.
Run Rev x and see if it's stiction.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM
New User

Well.. Starting back at the basics.. I checked my oil.. It was low.. I added a couple quarts and she fired right up and continued running.. It was about 40* though.. I let it sit all night last night and it was 10 this morning.. Gonna continue to let it sit and try firing it up after work. I guess once I started having issues I jumped to conclusions of what it 'could' be. Main thing with troubleshooting is don't get ahead of yourself I guess.. I should know this since I've been in a maintenance type job the last 4 years.
Anyways.. Hopefully she continues to run in this cold weather. Thanks everybody for your input!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Post Fiend

HKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant future
xmdxredeem3r
Let us know how it goes either way.

PAA Member #3
2003 Lariat CC4X4

Cold Start thread
Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM