Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do engine block heaters run constantly or start & stop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Ultraboy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do engine block heaters run constantly or start & stop?

I have a frost plug type engine block heater. Once it is plugged into the wall outlet, I'm wondering if it runs constantly? Or does it get the coolant up to a certain temp, then shut off for a while and re-start when the coolant temp drops?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe most block heaters are a simple heating element with no thermo couple. Plugged in= element on.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All block heaters are on once plugged in unless there is a control unit between the plug and heater element.

I have my extension cord plugged into a timer that comes on 3 hours before I have to leave for work. It also shuts off 3 hours after I leave just in case I have to leave later or for my days off.

Another forum member did a test and logged data on how the factory block heater works once plugged in. IIRC the factory block heats up to 125 in the first hour and then drops off to around 90 there after.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
All block heaters are on once plugged in unless there is a control unit between the plug and heater element.

I have my extension cord plugged into a timer that comes on 3 hours before I have to leave for work. It also shuts off 3 hours after I leave just in case I have to leave later or for my days off.

Another forum member did a test and logged data on how the factory block heater works once plugged in. IIRC the factory block heats up to 125 in the first hour and then drops off to around 90 there after.
no address showing

Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 PM
MalwareDRay
Elder User
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman

If it gets up to 125 in the firs hour, why have it sucking up 1000 watts for an extra 2 hours?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Is it bad to leave them plugged in all the time? I work from home and never know when I will use it, so I just leave the Diesel plugged up, where the outlet is, having a timer isn't really an option and the power is controlled by a wall switch inside

-The Great

Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Plugging it in and leaving it doesn't hurt. My work truck is plugged in 24/7 when it's cold out because we never know when we need it.

In weather like we are having right now (-20*F) I plug my Ex in when I get home, Nd unplug it when I leave for work. It even stays plugged in when it's warming up in the morning. Usually 15 min or so when it's this cold.

As for the original question, on the excursions, plug it in and it's on.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Ya Dave, we are -17* toinght... so it is still plugged in. Just didn't konw if any kind of damage is being caused by being plugged up all the time.

-The Great

Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
MalwareDRay
Elder User
Originally Posted by CLINT-THE-GREAT
Ya Dave, we are -17* toinght... so it is still plugged in. Just didn't konw if any kind of damage is being caused by being plugged up all the time.

-The Great
Not so much as damage but can't forget the wear. Heating elements are only rated for so many hours.
Quite something one need not worry about I wouldn't think

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

I really don't know how many service hrs they usually get, but I've never had one burn out on any of my Fords. I've seen some on Chevys burn out, but they had 250,000 miles on them. A block heater is cheap and easy to replace anyways

Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Ultraboy
Mountain Pass
FYI...the aftermarket engine block heater manufactures say not to leave the heater plugged in when the engine is running.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by CLINT-THE-GREAT
Is it bad to leave them plugged in all the time? I work from home and never know when I will use it, so I just leave the Diesel plugged up, where the outlet is, having a timer isn't really an option and the power is controlled by a wall switch inside

-The Great
Only when you get the electric bill! I use a timer on both my work van/excursion.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Ultraboy
FYI...the aftermarket engine block heater manufactures say not to leave the heater plugged in when the engine is running.

Never heard of that before.

It's just a heating element, running the vehicle shouldn't hurt it even with it plugged in. It can't reach any temps higher than it sees any other time.

Infact, when you first start the engine, it will start moving the warm coolant out of the block and replace it with cold stuff from the radiator. So theoretically, leaving it plugged in during warmup would help it warm up faster.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM
DerbyPowerstroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple garden timer here as well. 2-3 hours before I leave for work.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Never heard of that before.

It's just a heating element, running the vehicle shouldn't hurt it even with it plugged in. It can't reach any temps higher than it sees any other time.

Infact, when you first start the engine, it will start moving the warm coolant out of the block and replace it with cold stuff from the radiator. So theoretically, leaving it plugged in during warmup would help it warm up faster.
You may drive off with it plugged in, causing a hazard as the cord follows you down the road If there was air in your coolant system, that element could burn out!

Quick Reply: Do engine block heaters run constantly or start & stop?