1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking transfer case....again

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 PM
wrhorer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking transfer case....again

Newb here!! Here's my plight: I bought a 2013 F250 6.7 crew cab Lariat, 4WD. It has 22,000 miles as when I bought it (as a new truck & knowing existing mileage), it had 10,250 miles. All of the warranties are as a 0 mile truck. The problem is this.....Ive already been to the dealer because of the gasket/seals leaking at the top of my transfer case. They removed it and changed the gasket/seals(warranty covered everything btw) and it held fine for about 2 months. Its leaking again. As you can imagine there is oil slung all underneath my new truck and onto the exhaust......so when I stop the cloud of smoke bellows from under my new truck....again. I plan to bring it back to the dealership Monday......just wondering if anyone else with these trucks has had this problem. Any advice on how to handle the dealership would be appreciated as my way may be a little over the top at this point!!! Thanks!!

Old 01-04-2014, 01:58 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrhorer
Newb here!! Here's my plight: I bought a 2013 F250 6.7 crew cab Lariat, 4WD. It has 22,000 miles as when I bought it (as a new truck & knowing existing mileage), it had 10,250 miles. All of the warranties are as a 0 mile truck. The problem is this.....Ive already been to the dealer because of the gasket/seals leaking at the top of my transfer case. They removed it and changed the gasket/seals(warranty covered everything btw) and it held fine for about 2 months. Its leaking again. As you can imagine there is oil slung all underneath my new truck and onto the exhaust......so when I stop the cloud of smoke bellows from under my new truck....again. I plan to bring it back to the dealership Monday......just wondering if anyone else with these trucks has had this problem. Any advice on how to handle the dealership would be appreciated as my way may be a little over the top at this point!!! Thanks!!
Are you sure its the transfer case? It seems odd for the transfer case to be leaking from the top.

Sent from my Galaxy using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
wrhorer
New User
Originally Posted by 02TB250
Are you sure its the transfer case? It seems odd for the transfer case to be leaking from the top.

Sent from my Galaxy using IB AutoGroup
Yes. It was determined by the Ford techs that the top was the area that it was leaking from. They removed the trans case and checked it for cracks, split it, resealed it, and replaced the front and back seals for the shafts. It is leaking the same way again. I'm wondering if the T-case has a vent on it like a differential does......maybe it's plugged. IDK!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
If it's like my 2004 F350 then yes it has a vent on top. It could be plugged or the dealer overfilled maybe

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-04-2014, 03:54 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Yes there is a vent on top

Old 01-04-2014, 04:01 PM
wrhorer
New User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
If it's like my 2004 F350 then yes it has a vent on top. It could be plugged or the dealer overfilled maybe

Maybe so......I'll find out for sure next week. I'll keep ya'll posted. Mainly wondering if this was a problem with the 2013's......I like my truck and have already added most of the things i wanted on it......I don't want to have to take legal measures, but i will. Shouldnt have to be dealing with the same problems over and over again on a $60K+ truck that is that new!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:05 PM
wrhorer
New User
Yes there is a vent on top

Thank you! I'm sure hoping they over filled the case.......they have some cleanup to do....lol!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
There is a oil feed line inside the t-case that pumps oil from the bottom to the top of the gears to keep everything oiled correctly, now a lot of shops etc forget to rehook it up and oil doesn't get fed to the top gears. This might have happened but I can't see how this would make oil come out the vent...... And the fill hole is halfway up the case so if they overfilled it they would have had to remove the vent on top and filled the t-case from there. Only other way to overfill the t-case is to have the front seal go out an the transmission pumps trans fluid past the seal and into the t-case.....

Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
Only other way to overfill the t-case is to have the front seal go out an the transmission pumps trans fluid past the seal and into the t-case.....

This is very possible, I had this happen on a Chevy I used to have and it ends up leaking out the vent!

If you can, remove your fill plug on the transfer case so that you can verify whether the fluid level is correct or too high.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 PM
wrhorer
New User
Alright people....here's the update!!! Ford service manager called this morning....the rear seal on the t-case is the culprit! This was the second time. They have ordered a brand new t-case from Kentucky to swap into my truck!!! This is good news to me! Thank ya'll for all of the input!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wrhorer
Alright people....here's the update!!! Ford service manager called this morning....the rear seal on the t-case is the culprit! This was the second time. They have ordered a brand new t-case from Kentucky to swap into my truck!!! This is good news to me! Thank ya'll for all of the input!
I'm glad this is getting taken care of, wrhorer! Let me know how the repair goes; feel free to PM me if you need any assistance.

Crystal

Old 01-09-2014, 01:29 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
that's a good shop right there. I wonder why the seal keeps going? Maybe the bearing is bad or the case is wrapped and the seal wont seal correctly?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:13 PM
wrhorer
New User
Thanks Crystal!!!! ......Not really sure SDS....I would assume the housing is warped for 2 seals to not hold up on it. It has 22K on it and it's only been on the highway pulling a 5th wheel camper and my horse trailer so it hasn't been in a bind or thrashed on! Has to be a faulty part or housing out of spec. I'm going to post some pics of it this weekend if it's not raining......