Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Elder User

Diesel 724 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
DP Infinity help, (installing EGT and other ?'s)

Just received my DP Infinity in the mail. Its pretty sweet, I'm learning the basics of it. I'm a little bit confused at all the parameters i can monitor, some work in my truck, some don't, and some are irrelevant.

I have an EGT probe im looking to install, a single probe not dual. I was wondering wheres the best place to put it and how about doing so, just drilling and tapping?

Also, Im looking to monitor BOOST, what would that be? Ive read around and i think that MGP is what im looking for? Thats the straight boost number? Because if i monitor MAP psi i have to subtract numbers? A little bit confused. (confused a lot with all these abbreviations and such not knowing whats what)

And I also read my codes, one for sure I have is P0272: cylinder 4 contribution/balance it said. I also have some other codes i didn't write down but im thinking they are from having from Air intake heater removed, and waste gate actuator unplugged. I can go check them later and post them just for conformation later.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
Did you clear your old stale codes and get a fresh reading?

You can see my pyro sensor behind the orange connector in this photo - it's on the manifold before connecting to the up pipe.

Click the image to open in full size.

MGP - Manifold Gauge Pressure. That's the boost PID... good call.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Elder User

Thanks. Yes i have cleared my codes, and also ran acouple tests that come on the Infinity. It all came back about that cyl 4, except the buzz test came back good. So maybe today i will clear my codes again and drive for alittle then test it again before i come inside.

As far as EGT ok, thats where i was thinking it went, im not looking right now at my truck but is it a hard location to access? Am i looking at a PITA job here or fairly simple, because the weathers cold out and i dont have garage access so i might wait alittle to attemp this.

and MGP thats the straight correct number for boost, with out adding or subtracting anything?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
You want to record your PERDELs for all 8 cylinders with the Engine Oil Temperature above 150 degrees F (65 C) and your cabin heat "Off", then you'll know what's up with the code.

"Absolute" (MAP) pressure is the raw reading from the sensor.

"Gauge" (MGP) pressure is the reading, minus the atmospheric pressure from the BARO sensor. In other words, the math is already done with that one.

That location on the manifold is easy-access - that's why so many people put the EGT sensor there. Avoid putting it too far to the right (as seen from the photo). My sensor position permits removal of the cooler without having to dink with the sensor or the wire.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Senior User

t.scottNDU has a good reputation on FTE.t.scottNDU has a good reputation on FTE.t.scottNDU has a good reputation on FTE.
I just got my Infinity in the mail yesterday and I love it so far. I haven't done much other then gauges and check DTC's. I'm really looking forward to a buzz test and CCT. Glad you like it as well!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Elder User

I went out and set my truck to MGP and it just dosent seem right to be my boost gauge. Its numbers and parameters are way to low and high..
Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Watch out for decimals. You might be going from -3 to 170... but it's really -0.3 PSI to 17 PSI. I confirmed with data I have here - MGP is the one.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Elder User

This is what options i have:

This is what i get when i pick MGP
Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Elder User

I have played with it more. MGP reads 12 at an idle and hits upto 50.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Basing at 12, and going up to a reading of 38 above base? That acts more like a Exhaust Back Pressure sensor in Denver. I've seen Infinity multiply things by 10 before, I wonder if it's showing 1.2 PSI to 5.0 PSI. That would be normal in the driveway (powerbraking), but not on the highway.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:37 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Justin@DP-Tuner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Justin@DP-Tuner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 724 View Post
Just received my DP Infinity in the mail. Its pretty sweet, I'm learning the basics of it. I'm a little bit confused at all the parameters i can monitor, some work in my truck, some don't, and some are irrelevant.

I have an EGT probe im looking to install, a single probe not dual. I was wondering wheres the best place to put it and how about doing so, just drilling and tapping?

Also, Im looking to monitor BOOST, what would that be? Ive read around and i think that MGP is what im looking for? Thats the straight boost number? Because if i monitor MAP psi i have to subtract numbers? A little bit confused. (confused a lot with all these abbreviations and such not knowing whats what)

And I also read my codes, one for sure I have is P0272: cylinder 4 contribution/balance it said. I also have some other codes i didn't write down but im thinking they are from having from Air intake heater removed, and waste gate actuator unplugged. I can go check them later and post them just for conformation later.

Yes, MGP is the actual boost number, as Rich has described.

Quote:
I went out and set my truck to MGP and it just dosent seem right to be my boost gauge. Its numbers and parameters are way to low and high..
You can set the low and high values. Just touch the Low Limit box and change the value to 0, then touch the High Limit box and set it to 35.

Quote:
I have played with it more. MGP reads 12 at an idle and hits upto 50.
This sounds like there may be an issue with the MAP sensor if you are seeing these values for MGP, especially since the factory MAP sensor only reads up to 35psi of boost.

Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Old 01-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Elder User

cjgray1974 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My mgp reads 0 to 1 at idle. Another thing to chech would be the MAP, EBP, and I think the third is AP, Atmospheric pressure. they should be within about .5 of each other. If the MAP or AP is off it could be throwing off the calculation for MGP.

2002 F350 Lariat CCLB DRW, spectre cold air intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, DP F6, Infinity, CEI-HUB, FRX, HPX, T500, Riffraff AIH delete, crossfire tire valves, BTS tranny
2002 F250 Lariat CCSB, Manual, 4" turbo back exhaust, AFE cold air intake, Isspro gauges, PIS 160/30's, DP F6, IH bellowed up-pipes, Riffraff billet wheel, FRX, HPX,
Old 01-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Elder User

cjgray1974 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just ansd looked at my infinity. It's map, baro, and ebp.
map - manifold absolute pressure
baro - barometric pressure
ebp - exhaust back pressure

mine are right around 12.4 at around 1000ft elevation. You want to check it with the engine cold.
my EBP was reading 24 so I need to figure that out when it warms up. probably explains why I thought my milage sucked last week

2002 F350 Lariat CCLB DRW, spectre cold air intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, DP F6, Infinity, CEI-HUB, FRX, HPX, T500, Riffraff AIH delete, crossfire tire valves, BTS tranny
2002 F250 Lariat CCSB, Manual, 4" turbo back exhaust, AFE cold air intake, Isspro gauges, PIS 160/30's, DP F6, IH bellowed up-pipes, Riffraff billet wheel, FRX, HPX,
Old 01-21-2014, 03:07 PM