6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New powerstroke Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 PM
jamespjackson95
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New powerstroke Owner

Alright guys let me introduce myself. My name is James I'm 18 and just bought my first diesel ever. I come from a Chevy 1500 and what a difference it is. I bought a black 2007 6.0l f-250 crew cab, that's lifted with 37s and 180xxx. I know that's a lot but it was a real good price and I've been dying to get a diesel. The guy i got it from didn't really know what work had been done to the truck except an egr delete. I got it real cheap because of two problems and maybe y'all can guide me in the right direction.
1) loose steering. It's drivable and not to bad when your going faster on the hwy but the truck is just all over the road. It's like the steering wheel has tons of play and you would think I was drunk driving. I'm thinking steering box?
2) I have a little oil leak on passenger side that leaks onto the starter. Just noticed a few drops on the drive way and haven't been able to really get up under there and clean it. Advice?
Sorry for such a long post. Is there anywhere I can figure out what all work has been done to the truck? I just want to have a good idea if anything has been done so I can budget for the typical 6.0 bulletproofing. Thanks guys. I'm going to try to attach a picture.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Welcome HOME BUD!!!

GREAT Looking TRuck!!!!

They sure are the Best Looking ones out there IMO!!!!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:14 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
The main thing you should do is install a gauge system that reads te engine parameters from the PCM. On top of that, add a fuel pressure gauge (requires a sending unit also), an EGT gauge, and I like having a pressure gauge on the degas bottle. Once you get the gauge system, you need to see what the temperature differential is between the coolant and the oil temps - after the engine is completely warmed up.

The inherent 2007 issues are mainly in the area of the high pressure oil (HPO) system. If the truck is running well, then you probably are fine in that area. It is just that you may have future issues with leaks in the HPO system, but the repairs aren't that hard to do yourself and the parts aren't that expensive if you buy from the right place (AutoNation WhiteBear lake is a great place to shop).

Make sure that your batteries and alternator are extremely healthy - at all times.

Your Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) is a weak link, but FICMRepair.com offers an EXTREMELY reliable repair solution.

If you want a lot of power, then you should consider head studs with new Ford (OEM) head gaskets. If you go this route, there are a number of wise things to do while you have the heads off.

What you describe does sound like a steering box issue to me.

Also, the oil leak can be a number of things. I would start by looking at the CAC (Charge Air Cooler) boots and then the glow plugs and at the turbo oil lines. Because of the CCV system, oil gets into the air intake system and the oil softens the CAC boots - then they leak/seep.

Congratulations and welcome to FTE.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Welcome to the forum. Thats a sharp truck you got there. Well lets see. On the steering I would start by having someone turn the steering wheel with the truck off and you get under it and pay close attention on your drag link and tie rods and see if there is any play. Next jack the truck up and put a pry bar under the wheel and lift hard and see if there is play at all in the ball joints. As for the oil leak, check your dip stick and see if it is at the full mark or over. You really want the oil at the minimum mark. These trucks tend to leak at the bed plate when there is to much oil. Next oil change only put in 13 1/2 qts. See if it helps.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Your going to want to Pay Close attention to BISMICS Post the first sentence Get a Gauge very high prority

Might take 2 of ya to see the steering play or Well that's probably the Easiest way since someone will slowly turn the steering wheel and one will watch for Play. You don't need to turn all the way just go to where the tires start to move then switch direction

You can check all the tie rods/ball joints yourself BUT you have to Tweek them just right to check them

I was going to suggest steering stabilizer but looks like you have 2 I guess they could be bad but Slim chance with 2

Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Your going to want to Pay Close attention to BISMICS Post the first sentence Get a Gauge very high prority

Might take 2 of ya to see the steering play or Well that's probably the Easiest way since someone will slowly turn the steering wheel and one will watch for Play. You don't need to turn all the way just go to where the tires start to move then switch direction

You can check all the tie rods/ball joints yourself BUT you have to Tweek them just right to check them

I was going to suggest steering stabilizer but looks like you have 2 I guess they could be bad but Slim chance with 2
Actually Benny you may have a point with the steering stabilizers. If one is bad then it will drive funny. May check them as we and make sure they are not leaking.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 PM
jamespjackson95
Junior User
Wow you guys are fast! Yeah and I'm in the process of ordering gauges. I'm trying to decide between a gauge like a mini maxx or bully gauges and tuner, or just standard gauges on the side. Seems like the tuner and gauges in one is a better deal. And thanks again so much with the help!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boy ain't that a pretty thing. Nice taste

Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Go to the Super Duty Forum and search for Red Head steering gears, check out the reviews people have posted. With 180k and 37s I can definitely see it being the box because Super Duties drive loose even with stock sized tires, the lift and tires doesn't help. Check out the pitman arm to make sure it's not loose or galled out on the shaft.

Super Duty & Heavy Duty - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Originally Posted by jamespjackson95
a gauge like a mini maxx or bully gauges and tuner, or just standard gauges on the side.
Call one of these shops:
http://www.gearheadautomotiveperformance.com/
http://www.quicktricksauto.com/
http://www.innovativediesel.com/

Don't waste your money on H&S or BullyDog for a 6.0, get an SCT with tunes from one of the custom tune writers.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 PM
jamespjackson95
Junior User
Yeah from what I've read and heard sct is basically the best way to go. I'm thinking about the mmk customs bulletproof kit that includes the sct tuner. There's a package deal that seems very reasonably priced. How much lift do you guys think is on the truck? When people ask me I don't really know what to say?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Id say 6" lift?

Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 AM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Sweet rig, sure beats what I owned at 18.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:01 AM
EddieEX10
Senior User
Great looking truck! Lots of good advice here so read it all and figure out what makes sense for you.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:17 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
She's a beauty! Good luck and check in here often, the guys that post here regularly will help you through most anything........if the problem arises, otherwise as stated in the earlier posts get a scangaugeII (all the factory in dash gauges tell you is something bad just happened) or the equivalent, watch you vitals and enjoy your ride. and welcome to the club.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:56 AM
DerbyPowerstroke
Senior User
You're 18 and own this truck? Send me your address so I can come over to your house and punch you in the face. What, have you been working since you're 8 years old?

Quick Reply: New powerstroke Owner