6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Wierd RPA (Rear Parking Aid) Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:10 PM
jh225
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd RPA (Rear Parking Aid) Issue

So I go out this morning and its maybe 25* outside. Start the truck, put it in reverse and the warning buzzer for the rear parking aid comes on. Look at the camera in the mirror, nothing behind me. Put it back in park and again shift to reverse. Same thing, camera comes on along with warning buzzer. Get out, walk to the rear, camera, sensors look clear. Get back in, same thing. Drive to town and do some errands, then stop by Ford. By this time it is a little warmer (33-35*) and the buzzer activation has stopped. Service dept stated they never heard of that one before and neither have I so................

Anyone have this happen?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
mine do werid things in the cold all the time

Old 01-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Armycop
Junior User
I have found that condensation will sometimes freeze on or around one or more sensors, causing the truck to think there's an object there. If only one of the five (I think) sensors is frozen this will cause the buzz. I get it all the time here in MI. Once the ice melts or I clear the snow away all is good.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Mine acts up once in awhile but it's not really affected by the cold. Every so often it seems to be hyper-sensitive. It starts beeping like mad when there's nothing behind me within 20 feet. The wife has them on her Edge and they seem to work perfectly ALL the time.

It's 9 degrees F outside today and the truck's is working fine.

-Bobby

Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine does it all the time, I consider it because of the dirt, rain, etc that affect false readings. It does though always detect an object behind it, so it doesn't bother me much. I should note that when it gets warmer and I clean my truck nice and squeaky clean it doesn't do it.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
The blind spot sensor on my escape has been going off for no reason the last couple nights, must be the cold weather, frosty condensation that causes them to go off.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Just to set the tone. I have had back up sensors since 2000 in a DTS Deville. The had 2 yellow lights and a red over the rear window you see in the mirror and a chime when a yellow comes on and constant pinging on red at 6 inches, It works great. Ford. 2002, 2004, 2012. They all work poorly in cold weather. They also changed because the 04 broke sometime around 2010 and when replaced the sensitivity had increased. It was not adjustable. The sensors were not changed just the unit. The 2012 seems to act like the replacement. I don't know why they cant be made better. The 2000 Cady is far superior.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't get cold here and mine do the same crap on an intermittent basis. PMS I guess.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Just got back from the shop to address this. I had my annual service at Ziebart and figured that some moisture was in the connector(s) or sensor(s). The system works fine down to 20 degrees and below that I get a constant tone.

We hooked up the IDS and it showed that the passenger side outboard sensor was reading less than a foot. We took apart the sensor, blew it out with compressed air as well as the area around the sensor. Been working fine ever since.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by FTE Herman
Just got back from the shop to address this. I had my annual service at Ziebart and figured that some moisture was in the connector(s) or sensor(s). The system works fine down to 20 degrees and below that I get a constant tone.

We hooked up the IDS and it showed that the passenger side outboard sensor was reading less than a foot. We took apart the sensor, blew it out with compressed air as well as the area around the sensor. Been working fine ever since.
My false sound is not constant like yours was. I just get random beeping, like I'm getting close to an object. Sometimes it does that when nothing is around, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:36 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I have gotten it once, but it was because a sensor had a light coating of frost on it one morning. I've had nothing before or since.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold weather (frost), dirt on the sensors, soot on the sensors!!(deleted), after washing the truck, after driving through rain, anything that gets them damp will cause it to happen. Not a continuous thing and as previously posted they work all the time but sometimes things get in the way like dirt or snow or ice or they get wet. Small annoyance since it is usually short term.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey gang,

If your sensors are acting strangely, bring it up to your dealer so they can document and diagnose your truck. Feel free to reach out to me if you need additional assistance; I'm ready and willing to do all I can from my neck of the woods.

Crystal

Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM
jh225
Elder User
Thanks for all the replies. It definitely seems like a frost/ice cover on a sensor is the common denominator. If it happens again, I will wipe them all off right away and see if that solves it.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by sgrol
My false sound is not constant like yours was. I just get random beeping, like I'm getting close to an object. Sometimes it does that when nothing is around, sometimes it doesn't.
Well, if your dealer is kind like mine, they'll hook up the IDS for you and you can see on the computer screen which sensor(s) think how far an object is from them. From there you can troubleshoot an individual sensor.

Quick Reply: Wierd RPA (Rear Parking Aid) Issue