6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Questions/clarifications about the 6.2L engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 AM
JimRay
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions/clarifications about the 6.2L engine

Hey guys, help me here with a few questions. I have had my 2014 6.2L for about 2500 miles now and have been reading on here to ed-u-ma-cate myself about this engine. I have knowledge about the old 5.8 FI and the EEC-IV computer system with a lean towards the performance side. I have read somewhere that the 6.2L is not direct port fuel injection but looked at the engine bay (which is mostly under the dash) and think I see the fuel rails where they should be for DI. also I knew this engine has two plugs per cylinder and saw how the second plug is served from the same coil pack but under the valve cover.
Does anyone have a source for a drawing/picture/schematic of the 6.2L? I'm an engineer by profession and have a "need to know".

Also, is the FI a return style to the tank?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Can you post your findings, I just bought a 2014 SD 6.2L also.?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
have you read the "read first" thread in the 6.2 forum? may answer a lot of your questions.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
This is certainly not a direct-injection engine, but rather a typical port injection motor. The reason dual plugs are used is because of the large size of the valves, and the fact that they are angled into the top of the cylinder. Having two different plug locations ignites the mixture in this engine more efficiently than one plug could. Dual plugs is not a requirement for DI, either.

Regarding the fuel lines, I am not sure if this is a returnless system or not.

This engine is a mix of old-school design with some modern tech thrown in. The good parts are the cast iron block for greater longevity. I'm not sure why Ford would waste the effort to make an OHC engine and yet give it only two valves per cylinder. Granted, the valves are large, splayed, and operated by roller rockers, which is unusual; but only running single cams limits VVT usefulness, which can be very beneficial to output. This engine does run cam phasers, but unfortunately it can only vary the timing of both intake and exhaust valves together. Ford's own new 5.0L V8 is a 32 valve engine with much greater effect from its VVT. It seems the 6.2L might have been a better design as a pushrod engine...e.g. the GM 6.2L engine?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Evil Elf
New User
Not sure i get the point about dual plugs since there is only one coil per set and spark will go to the plug of least resistance. this is evident by the reports of people that have 90k miles that are changing them out. If there were a coil per plug i might.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I'm sure the coil is designed to push a spark off each plug simultaneously. This is not uncommon to use a single coil to fire dual plugs. Up to '99, Mercedes used 3 coils to fire all six plugs on its inline 6 engines using the 'wasted spark' principle; I can assure you all 6 cylinders were firing. Subsequently, starting on it's '98+ V6 and V8 engines, Mercedes used a single coil to fire twin plugs per cylinder. And of course, modern Dodge Hemi engines also use two plugs per cylinder.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Lectrocuted
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 plugs vs 1 plug is due to combustion chamber design. Splayed valve hemi types (Ford 6.2/Dodge semi hemi) aren't as efficient/fast burning compared to a wedge(GM single plug quench style that's been refined over 60 years). Why only a 2 valve? Goals and cost. It meets power, economy, nvh, emission standards, etc while requiring fewer machining steps and parts. Keeping it simple. They flow plenty of cfm as is. The pushrod Ford production gas v-8 died with the 302/351. They aren't going back it. That being said, if the 250/350 folks are happy, I'll be downright thrilled in a 150 fx4.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 AM
Evil Elf
New User
Originally Posted by troverman
I'm sure the coil is designed to push a spark off each plug simultaneously. This is not uncommon to use a single coil to fire dual plugs. Up to '99, Mercedes used 3 coils to fire all six plugs on its inline 6 engines using the 'wasted spark' principle; I can assure you all 6 cylinders were firing. Subsequently, starting on it's '98+ V6 and V8 engines, Mercedes used a single coil to fire twin plugs per cylinder. And of course, modern Dodge Hemi engines also use two plugs per cylinder.
I did not realize how many engines used wasted spark after a little research I see the emissions benefit. I guess I normally look at things from a performance perspective and probably why i overlooked it.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Emissions is getting to be as important a 'stat' as horsepower, torque, and fuel economy. Motor Trend now publishes how many pounds of CO an engine produces, on all the vehicles it tests. Don't be surprised if this doesn't appear on vehicle window stickers soon, and you're taxed if you buy a vehicle with a high CO rating.