1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

How to get at 2 spark plugs on 90 E250 351W?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 PM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get at 2 spark plugs on 90 E250 351W?

The 2 forward(#1,2) plugs on the passenger side of the E250 351w are impossible for me to get at because the firewall (cutout) edge is in the way .

I think the fwd two on the drivers side are more accessible,but wont know until I look closer.

Does anyone have any experience on this problem?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:34 AM
Cobra-Kai
Senior User
Not on the 351, but on the 302.

6-7 Plugs I can change from the inside, but on cyl.1 I can only change the plug from the outsider if I reach behind the alternator

Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by timbuctooCal
The 2 forward plugs on the passenger side of the E250 351w are impossible for me to get at because the firewall (cutout) edge is in the way .

I think the fwd two on the drivers side are more accessible,but wont know until I look closer.

Does anyone have any experience on this problem?
Pull the alternator off. Only 4 bolts and one belt to remove. That's the easiest way to get at those two plugs. And coat the threads on those four bolts with antiseize before screwing em back in the holes, that'll make em easier to take out bext time.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Rocknthehawk
Junior User
It takes some effort, but you can do it from the inside with a couple swivels and extensions

Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
Pulling the Alt. will make things much easier. If you go this route use high quality plugs so you don't have to change them again for a few years. LOL!

I found #1 plug so hard to get at on my '88 5.8L that I didn't change the plug for 10 years! I didn't drive it that much so I didn't have that many miles on that plug but I did finally change it last year and it wasn't that bad. I barely noticed any improvement in how it ran.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
Originally Posted by jimbbski
Pulling the Alt. will make things much easier. If you go this route use high quality plugs so you don't have to change them again for a few years. LOL!

I found #1 plug so hard to get at on my '88 5.8L that I didn't change the plug for 10 years! I didn't drive it that much so I didn't have that many miles on that plug but I did finally change it last year and it wasn't that bad. I barely noticed any improvement in how it ran.
Yeah,it looks easier to remove the aircleaner and alternator than to try and access the front 2 plugs from the cab or the small area available through the fenderwell next to the shock tower.
Even with the "right" tool,i couldnt get my hand in there to center,remove the plug or remove the wire. looks nightmarish.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
you can do it from the inside with a couple swivels and extensions
Air cleaner.....Bye bye......has to go ..good time to change the Air Filter.....
You need a Universal joint and a small pipe on the end of the ratchet.....OR a ratchet with a longer handle...I have done it many times.....Piece of cake compared to doing the Injector O-rings on my Diesel....

Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
labor charge for installation of plugs and wires on 90 E250 w/5.8

[quote=blageurt;13931249]
You need a Universal joint and a small pipe on the end of the ratchet.....OR a ratchet with a longer handle...I have done it many times.....Piece of cake
================================================== ===================
Well,mine doesnt look possible,so thats enough for me to bail.

labor charge for installation of plugs and wires on 90 E250 w/5.8

I shopped around at some smog station with mechanic who quoted me "labor only" to install wires & plugs (I supply ) from $ 250 at my mechanic and $275 at ford dealer. I did find a smog sta for $150. For that price I may take it to him.
I know, get a firm written quote and hope he doesnt cross thread a plug or who knows what. of course any of them could do that.

Smog certs in my area of Ca for a v8 van are $80 to $100 dollars,but the smog place that will change wires and plugs for $150 charges $50
150+50=$200 cheapest smog/mechanic
250+80=$330 my regular mechanic
275+!00=$375 Ford dealer
Hmmmm, very tempting to try the $200

Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Obviuosly you do not own a set of tools.....I have OVER $ 30, 000 in tools .......Nevermind Machinery and other Chit..........BUT I have a Tool Fetish...I am getting Professional Help with this issue....Do not pay more than $ 200...that is with NEW plugs....I Know I can do it in 20 minutes.......good luck

Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 PM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
Originally Posted by blageurt
Obviuosly you do not own a set of tools.....I have OVER $ 30, 000 in tools .......Nevermind Machinery and other Chit..........BUT I have a Tool Fetish...I am getting Professional Help with this issue....Do not pay more than $ 200...that is with NEW plugs....I Know I can do it in 20 minutes.......good luck
==============================
ive had just enough tools over the last 40 yrs to get done what i needed as the vehicles broke down. .By 1980 I did as little mech as possible to date.
$30k worth of tools,well im not that fond of working on any thing.
id sure give it a try if i had any idea what to look for and where.
I asked several auto parts places and they had no idea. Especially with that old of a vehicle. I dont know any peole that work on vehicles...even for a hobb so theres no one i can ask.
If you would tell me the name of what tools I need,then that would help me with my tool collection. A pic would be good too,but probabhly not necessary as long as I have the correct name of the tools.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
The age of a Vehicle does not matter.........I have repaired 60 year old tractors / Combines....anything Mechanical.........do you have swivel / universal sockets.....That would be a start..I am a Construction Guy .....BUT I come from farming.....so I was BRED /TRAINED to need ALOT of tools....In different sizes....And I know what they cost...I am truly sorry if it makes you feel uncomfortable.. I do NOT play games when it comes to Maintenance ...How many Factory Manuals DO YOU OWN ? I have OVER 2OO last time I checked......do you understand what I am saying ?
You obviously do not want to fix your problem.....Just complain about it....

Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 PM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
Originally Posted by blageurt
The age of a Vehicle does not matter.........I have repaired 60 year old tractors / Combines....anything Mechanical.........do you have swivel / universal sockets.....That would be a start..I am a Construction Guy .....BUT I come from farming.....so I was BRED /TRAINED to need ALOT of tools....In different sizes....And I know what they cost...I am truly sorry if it makes you feel uncomfortable.. I do NOT play games when it comes to Maintenance ...How many Factory Manuals DO YOU OWN ? I have OVER 2OO last time I checked......do you understand what I am saying ?
You obviously do not want to fix your problem.....Just complain about it....
--------------------------------------------------
An edited and more appropriate word would have been"
Are you provoking me.? I dunno,it reads like it.
My best move now is to block you if you continue this : what appears to be condescending me and the unimpressive puffery..

Let me add this:
The manner in which you responded to my posts indicated you were irritated and annoyed with what i posted.
Inexperienced people ,like myself ,can ask "ignorant /stupid questions from lack of knowledge .

As far as I know,this forum has no basic knowledge requirement for members and if you are they type that cant handle that ignorance level you may run across ,then just dont respond to them.

However,if I have misintrepreted your wording in the posts...its possible,i guess,well my apologies.

In summary see youtube below A little levity is appropriate i think.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 AM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
I do not wish to attack anything......not now anyway...I am sorry you feel that way....I cannot reach through he computer screen and show you how......It is not a big deal....You are overthinking it OR have no tools......

Old 01-09-2014, 02:19 PM
timbuctooCal
Tuned
[quote=blageurt;13933146]I do not wish to attack anything......not now anyway...I am sorry you feel that way....I cannot reach through he computer screen and show you how......It is not a big deal....You are overthinking it OR have no tools......[/quote

OK,good then,maybe I mis intrepreted you on the attack issue..sorry

Universal..and breaker bar and extentions...ok I have those.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
All that's needed here is your basic hand tools and a couple hours. Also I'm sure those quotes didn't take into account the need to pull the alternator to access the #1 & 2 plugs, nor the need to thread the passenger side plug wires under the upper intake and secure them so that nothing damages them in service. This is not a simple "quicky" job, but it's not hard to do once you've done it a time or two. The engine cover must be removed, then the air box and alternator, then taking the time to gap the plugs, removing the old plugs and wires, reinstalling the plugs and wires, then the alternator, air box and engine cover. I also do not use U joints on spark plugs to tighten them, the chances of breaking the ceramic part of the plug goes up exponentially when using a U joint

Quick Reply: How to get at 2 spark plugs on 90 E250 351W?