Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
tom, ford hasn't said at what rpm range you got to be in to get the max hp/tq. there is no way someone is gonna get to that range w/o sacrificing MPG's. When I towed with my 3.5EB, for me to get the 425 tq range I watched my mpg drop like a hot potato down from 16 to 10 in a matter of a few miles. there designing the 2.7L for mpg increase not be a tow beast like the maxtow 3.5. Just cause there saying it has the hp/tq your gonna get it w/o sacrificing mpg's.
Of course that's true, fuel is consumed at the rate at which power is produced. Going down the freeway at 65 MPH only takes about 60 horsepower. That's true whether that 60 HP is being provided by a 6.2L V8 or a 2.7L V6. The smaller engine provides that power more efficiently due to lower internal friction, less pumping losses, and less combustion strokes. Nobody is complaining about fuel economy at WOT, because nobody drives around all day at wide open throttle. People are using less and less of their maximum power during regular driving because they just don't need that much.

I had a 2011 F350 with the 6.7L engine. It made 400 HP and 800 ft-lbs of torque. It routinely got better fuel economy than my '08 F250 with it's 350 HP/650 ft-lb 6.4L engine. The 2011 was capable of burning fuel faster than the '08 was, but I noticed a ~20% increase in fuel economy. That's because the efficiency at which it was able to deliver power was greater, even though it was capable of more power. If that makes sense. That's also why the newer engines in the F150 consistently deliver greater fuel economy than the older engines even though they are capable of making much more power.

Fuel economy isn't about the power an engine is capable of, but rather the efficiency at which it delivers power used. And I hardly EVER use 365 HP.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Of course that's true, fuel is consumed at the rate at which power is produced. Going down the freeway at 65 MPH only takes about 60 horsepower. That's true whether that 60 HP is being provided by a 6.2L V8 or a 2.7L V6. The smaller engine provides that power more efficiently due to lower internal friction, less pumping losses, and less combustion strokes. Nobody is complaining about fuel economy at WOT, because nobody drives around all day at wide open throttle. People are using less and less of their maximum power during regular driving because they just don't need that much.

I had a 2011 F350 with the 6.7L engine. It made 400 HP and 800 ft-lbs of torque. It routinely got better fuel economy than my '08 F250 with it's 350 HP/650 ft-lb 6.4L engine. The 2011 was capable of burning fuel faster than the '08 was, but I noticed a ~20% increase in fuel economy. That's because the efficiency at which it was able to deliver power was greater, even though it was capable of more power. If that makes sense. That's also why the newer engines in the F150 consistently deliver greater fuel economy than the older engines even though they are capable of making much more power.

Fuel economy isn't about the power an engine is capable of, but rather the efficiency at which it delivers power used. And I hardly EVER use 365 HP.
true but for the 2.7L to hit the so called projected hp/tq ratings its gonna eat fuel, ford is not designing this truck to be any kind of workhorse, it is for the daily driver, the grandpa driver who will maximize the MPG's. its gonna be extremely lighter than your truck,, sure it is less weight to carry but I guarantee it wont feel the same as your truck, I bet you will have a more solid feel in your truck over the newer version. we have yet to see the true reliable/durable factor of the current EB, most haven't hit the 100k + mark,, I cannot see where the new 15 f150 w/2.7l is gonna be anything more than the daily driver.. Good luck to those who buy it for tow/haul..thats why I say it is for the grocery getter or the weekend Lowe's flower pot/mulch needs. JMO..

Old 01-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
true but for the 2.7L to hit the so called projected hp/tq ratings its gonna eat fuel, ford is not designing this truck to be any kind of workhorse, it is for the daily driver, the grandpa driver who will maximize the MPG's. its gonna be extremely lighter than your truck,, sure it is less weight to carry but I guarantee it wont feel the same as your truck, I bet you will have a more solid feel in your truck over the newer version. we have yet to see the true reliable/durable factor of the current EB, most haven't hit the 100k + mark,, I cannot see where the new 15 f150 w/2.7l is gonna be anything more than the daily driver.. Good luck to those who buy it for tow/haul..thats why I say it is for the grocery getter or the weekend Lowe's flower pot/mulch needs. JMO..
Time will tell I guess. My point was that ANY engine will eat some fuel when it's operating at rated power. The EcoBoost engines have done well up to this point, but you're right that they haven't been out long enough to truly evaluate their long-term longevity. There's lots more to break with the turbo V6es, but thus far they seem to be doing well.

If they prove to be troublesome after a few years I'll unload this one and get something different. Life's too short to stress about it though, and they've proven to be exceptionally reliable over the few years they've been out.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
I agree , although I only put 12k on mine and mainly city use, my EB ran good and towed nice.. the only unknown was the dreaded CAC issue.. never had one. I would buy another 3.5EB 3.73, if I knew that Ford eliminated the CAC for good. I would rather have a EB over the Ecodiesel or Chevy alternative. I don't see anyone giving up there 3.5 for a 2.7 unless they really want the best mpg's they can get out of a truck. I only wish I could afford to have kept my EB, would've been nice to have both trucks in my driveway..

Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 AM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
Time will tell I guess. My point was that ANY engine will eat some fuel when it's operating at rated power. The EcoBoost engines have done well up to this point, but you're right that they haven't been out long enough to truly evaluate their long-term longevity. There's lots more to break with the turbo V6es, but thus far they seem to be doing well.

If they prove to be troublesome after a few years I'll unload this one and get something different. Life's too short to stress about it though, and they've proven to be exceptionally reliable over the few years they've been out.
Just curious sir, why did you go from a F-350 6.7 Diesel to an F-150? That F-350 is my dream truck!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
I don't see why everyone is fretting over a possible condensation issue to be honest. My truck has never done it, and I don't expect that it ever will. I'd buy another one in an instant. Heck I would happily buy an early '11 model.

I've had lots of cars over the years. Some new, some older, and I don't see stumbling and hesitation as something to worry about.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Just curious sir, why did you go from a F-350 6.7 Diesel to an F-150? That F-350 is my dream truck!
It was more truck than I needed. I have a problem with trading things off as well. I went from an '08 F250(wrecked), to an '11 F350(traded), to a 2011 Mustang GT(traded), to a 2010 Fusion(traded), to a 2000 Excursion(Sold), to my 2013 F150. And I just bought a '97 Town car last month.

I just don't tow often enough to justify a diesel super duty. My trailer has a 14,000 lb GVWR, but it rarely is loaded that heavy, most of the time it moves it's between 8,500-10,000 lbs. And I only tow it a few times a year, so it seemed like a waste for me to have the F350 that only towed a few times a year.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't see why everyone is fretting over a possible condensation issue to be honest. My truck has never done it, and I don't expect that it ever will. I'd buy another one in an instant. Heck I would happily buy an early '11 model.

I've had lots of cars over the years. Some new, some older, and I don't see stumbling and hesitation as something to worry about.
I think there would be thousands of F150 owners who would disagree with your statement. I understand if you never had a failure and your truck runs good to ever think it is a big deal. I never had one either but I never put the truck under the right conditions to find out. Nor would I discount the many F150 owners who have had the CAC failure and the risk it created. I guess it is all in each persons perspective.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
I think there would be thousands of F150 owners who would disagree with your statement. I understand if you never had a failure and your truck runs good to ever think it is a big deal. I never had one either but I never put the truck under the right conditions to find out. Nor would I discount the many F150 owners who have had the CAC failure and the risk it created. I guess it is all in each persons perspective.
I've had similar things happen. It was a known issue for the '08 6.4L PSD trucks as well. I had it happen a few times where I hit the gas and got little power and lots of steam out the tail pipe. A few seconds later all was back to normal. The fix was to replace the CAC with a revised unit. I never considered it anything worth fixing, so I never took it to the dealer.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
When you got HAL or VAI controlling our trucks, there are tons of malfunctions that could occur. Heck I saw a report on CNN where hackers could get into your trucks CPU and alter the truck and render your ability to control your own truck, they can control braking,and accel/decal and other functions of our trucks. Rather scary. Its a whole new world in todays tech filled society. Makes you almost wish to go back to a basic truck,, but I love the MFT screen.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
It was more truck than I needed. I have a problem with trading things off as well. I went from an '08 F250(wrecked), to an '11 F350(traded), to a 2011 Mustang GT(traded), to a 2010 Fusion(traded), to a 2000 Excursion(Sold), to my 2013 F150. And I just bought a '97 Town car last month.

I just don't tow often enough to justify a diesel super duty. My trailer has a 14,000 lb GVWR, but it rarely is loaded that heavy, most of the time it moves it's between 8,500-10,000 lbs. And I only tow it a few times a year, so it seemed like a waste for me to have the F350 that only towed a few times a year.
Yeah, but they are sure sweet! I recently was reading on a guy who already has over a 1/2 Million miles on his 6.7 Scorpion Diesel & only had to replace an injector. That truck would have lasted you the rest of your lifetime. LOL I want to get a travel trailer/toy hauler in the future & that is gonna be my next rig to tow it!

Old 01-05-2014, 01:11 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Everytime you create boost you put yourself in the situation. Whether you are towing or accessing a freeway to merge.

I mash my pedal to the floor everyday that I drive the truck. If there's anything in the CAC, it's getting drawn out everyday. I've never had a stumbling issue. I've been on road trips in heavy rain, snow, ice, fog and 100+ degree days with high humidity, never an issue.

Before I bought my truck in June 2011, I contacted a list of friends who are long time diesel guys. They all said to run it hard to keep it healthy.
I happily oblige.

Regarding the 2.7L, I highly doubt it will be optional on the Max Tow trucks. So, towing heavy won't be an issue.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Everytime you create boost you put yourself in the situation. Whether you are towing or accessing a freeway to merge.

I mash my pedal to the floor everyday that I drive the truck. If there's anything in the CAC, it's getting drawn out everyday. I've never had a stumbling issue. I've been on road trips in heavy rain, snow, ice, fog and 100+ degree days with high humidity, never an issue.

Before I bought my truck in June 2011, I contacted a list of friends who are long time diesel guys. They all said to run it hard to keep it healthy.
I happily oblige.

Regarding the 2.7L, I highly doubt it will be optional on the Max Tow trucks. So, towing heavy won't be an issue.

no disrespect intended but for every guy like you who posts "never had a problem" there are just as many others who have.. there is no good truck bad truck issue, they all have the same parts. Every day it seems someone else posts "I thought I didn't have the CAC issue but it happen to me" post. There wouldn't be several class action lawsuits going on at this time if there were not enough guys who had the CAC issue. I am glad to hear your truck is riding good but don't discount the guys who are or have been stuck with this issue. I was kidding about the max-tow topic with the 2.7L

Old 01-05-2014, 02:03 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If they do aluminum panels , would that prevent the rusting issues around the wheel wells all the old and some newer trucks have in the rust belt states ? that could be a huge advantage for some people.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the 6.2 will make it into the 2015 F150 for various reasons but a few are , Electric power steering will be on all models going forward, Iron block, reworked 5.0 , small diesel, truck will weigh less, and of course EPA and all gov safety stuff coming.

Quick Reply: 2015 F-150