Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my Excursion, what is this truck worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I figured there would be a wide variety of opinions on the trucks value. I don't mind waiting for the right buyer.

Added sct egt sensor to the list.

When I get a warm day, I will get the truck cleaned and post a for sale thread. I have a car I drive in the summer months, so it might be easiest to sell in the summer when I can keep the Excursion cleaned up and stored in the garage ready for a new owner.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-01-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
tka
New User
This is a very good looking truck.I wish I had waited a little longer before purchasing mine for this one.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:59 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tka
This is a very good looking truck.I wish I had waited a little longer before purchasing mine for this one.
Maybe............

Old 01-01-2014, 07:06 PM
jstglockem
Junior User
I love your truck and I want your rims. I would think mid $20s if you could find a buyer that wants to pay for those kind of upgrades. But that is a very particular buyer.

Anything over $18,900 in this market. All the work you have done could actually hurt you rather then help you. imo

Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Thanks for the positive feedback. It's definitely going to take awhile to find the right buyer, but I plan to clean it up and shoot 20-30 pictures when I put it up for sale and let the pictures do the talking.
I looked at alot of Excursions (in Illinois) before buying this one and none were rust free like this one.....too bad I didn't know anything about the 6L PSD then. Owning this truck changed that!

Old 01-02-2014, 03:19 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking for another diesel Excursion for a few weeks have been mainly looking at 02 and 03 7.3 fully loaded 4x4's. What I've found in 03's is the 6.0's go for $5K less than the same vehicle with the 7.3. If you add a couple years you typically can add a couple grand.

Right now got my eye on 2 02's with a little over 100K miles for $19K. They are from the rust belt so suspect rust and doubt they have any upgrades as far as suspension and such. Looking into a 03 7.3 with 100K miles for $19.5K but the last rounds of pictures showed a lot of rust...

As far as your 05 is concerned is it's truly bullet proof? I know my diesel mechanic charges $5-7K to make a 6.0 bulletproof and don't know what all he does other than head studs and changes the oil pump and move the oil filter.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your fuel mileage?

Old 01-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by dougger222
What is your fuel mileage?
With IDP tow or street tunes the MPGs are about the same

20 mpg at 65 mph
18.75 mpg averaging 72mph
around 11.5mpg towing our 11.5 ft high 7500lb toyhauler at 70mph

with 34.1" tall tires and 3.73 gears the truck sacrifices some low end grunt for MPG's.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by dougger222
As far as your 05 is concerned is it's truly bullet proof? I know my diesel mechanic charges $5-7K to make a 6.0 bulletproof and don't know what all he does other than head studs and changes the oil pump and move the oil filter.
My truck suffered the typical 6L powerstroke death. The egr cooler and oil cooler clogged with sediment. These share the same coolant as the engine, heater cores, and radiator. Once clogged the engine overheated and blew a head gasket and began using coolant.

The new long block has been what I consider "bulletproof" since the install.
1. ARP head studs with new oem gaskets.
2. Coolant filter installed with the engine
3. New OEM oil cooler with upgraded STC fitting.
4. EGR cooler delete kit by river city diesel
5. I had the radiator cleaned/flushed and inspected.
6. I had the front and rear heater cores replaced.
7. the hoses to the heater cores were replaced.

I camp and ride ATV's with three 7.3L Excursion and F450 owners and have heard my fair share of "you shoulda got a 7.3" when going thru the rebuild of my EX.

I did my research on this rebuild and did it right in my eyes. There is some variety of opinion on what "bulletproof" is, but I live by a well respected shop River City Diesel, in Peoria IL and I went above and beyond what they sell to bulletproof a 6L.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not too far from Illinois so I would say 8k. Lol. Seriously I think it's probably. 20k truck but pending what it books for I think your issue is financing for someone unless they cn swing 20k cash since the ex is 8-9 years old. They will probably cap the term on the Lon making for huge payment. Sweet EX though.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Surprised by the interest in the truck, not surprised by the low ball offers.

I will include a link when it goes on Craigslist when the weather gets nice in IL.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:22 AM
daddyusmaximus
New User
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus

I will include a link when it goes on Craigslist when the weather gets nice in IL.
Yeah, nobody wants a big tank to drive around... I'll give you $500.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus

Only in your thread in the Classified forum please (if you create one) because selling threads (including links to advertisements off the forum) are not allowed.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Discussion Forum Guidelines

6. Personal Items For Sale . For Sale items are not allowed in the automotive and general discussion forums of FTE. This includes placing ads or links to ads in your signature. We have a Classifieds section that you can list your items in. Want ads are allowed in the forums so long as you post a follow-up when you find the part(s). Vehicle value discussions are permitted, however, if we find it turning into a for sale thread, the thread will be removed. The only exception to this guideline is the Chapter Forums. There is a specific thread in each Chapter Forum, for Chapter Members only, that is intended for local for sale items.
Stewart

Old 02-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Traded the truck in today for $15,000 and picked up a 2014 GMC Acadia Denali for the wife to drive. Not a bad deal with the rebates, GM supplier pricing, and trade in.

And alot less hassle than selling it outright.

I'm still a Ford guy at heart, even though our current vehicles are BMW, GMC, and Chrysler. I thought we would end up buying a new Explorer Limited, but the wife wasnt impressed. The way Fords second row seats fold to get into the 3rd row is just not as user friendly as the other brands, and with 4 kids that matters to us.

Until the next Ford, adios FTE!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
ouch!

guess that means she'll be up for sale for low $20's very shortly. if not even high $20's after dealership "reconditions" it

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my Excursion, what is this truck worth?